Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Livid

simple chest suggestion

18 posts in this topic

because chest are going to be a more advanced way to store things i suggest to put in the recipe of the chest a steel ingot, this will make chests to go up in the tech tree ; because at greek times, they had saws but they used jars not chests, because chest were hard to make so was only for aristocratics

that's my point, i wish to see this in the next release.

that all folks

P.S.: the ingot may be placed in the middle of the crafting table in the hole of the chest recipe

and... what part of a chest uses an entire ingot's worth of steel, exactly?

and... what part of a chest uses an entire ingot's worth of steel, exactly?

The hinges, the locking system on the front, possibly.....

maybe instead of replacing the current recipe, why not just make a completly new "steel chest" that could be used to hold more, or could be stronger, but i guess that would start to turn it into the iron chest mod

umh... steel chest? don't like very much

but, the steel ingots represent the lock...

umh... steel chest? don't like very much

but, the steel ingots represent the lock...

Have you ever seen a standard metal ingot before? It takes both hands to hold them.

What the fuck kind of dwarven gearworks lock are you putting on that thing, that it requires an entire ingot's worth of solid fucking steel?

oh my god! that fucking steel is for makin the fucking chest go up in the fucking thec tree,

with all this fucking do you like it much?

Actually I like it less.

Because your entire justification for the idea is strictly metagame, with no regard for in-game consistency.

And that makes it a bad idea.

ok, that's fine

but a chest have many parts made with steel, like the lock the part that makes it to open

that's not only metagame, principaly

however the lock bigness it's the same of the ingots placed in the world

haha its a good suggestion i think, it needs adjustment though for sure. maybe one ingot can be forged into like 8 hinges? and that can make 4 chests.

i really think that smithing should also contain forging of basic metal instruments.... hinges are a good one as they could apply to several things (doors/windows/hatches/chests/)

but yeah also should have wooden hinges too for wood doors and wood chests to be accurate. they need to be worse tho so that theres a reason to forge it... like they break after too many uses and need hinge replacement maybe?

the way smithing poorly ends up producing less durable tools, smithing hinges ineffectively should produce less of them. so if you really mess it up you could only get like 1 out of it potentially. who knows.

off topic but semi-relevant...

planks should require nails to be made into plank blocks! (same as stonebrick only brick = plank and mortar = nail) obviously forging nails would wield yield a lot to make it possible to get enough plank blocks. like 1 ingot = 32 or 48 nails. definitely would make people dwell in caves a lot longer and building a wood house is NOT a simple matter of piling planks on top of one another...

nails and hinges ftw.

wordswordswords

Infinitely better suggestion than OP.

Also, nails should be placeable on a tool rack, rendering as a small box.

Perhaps similar to hinges locking mechanisms can also be made. The most simple would be little more than a latch which only blocks traffic through a door in one direction. This could be made out of either wood or metal. The advantage of metal is that it cannot be broken off by a sufficient force (i.e. zombies or other players pounding on the door). In latter tiers an actual lock and key can be made. Of course multiple amounts of these can come from one ingot similar to the hinges. The only issue with locks and keys would be the amount of fine work needed to be done to even make a simple key. Perhaps if a grinding wheel is ever added to this mod this could be integral in grinding the key. The main advantage to keys would be that only those with a matching key can utilize the door or chest. Of course either locking mechanism is unnecessary for making the item itself, but could prove advantageous in multiplayer for securing a house.

Imho nails are second tier. First there would be pegs.

For making chests, buckets and barrels there is a need to use pegs/nails. Maybe it is possible to increase the durability of tools when built with pegs/nails.

This is going in a very nice direction.

Also, nails should be placeable on a tool rack, rendering as a small box.

I double this. It would be useless to store nails in not yet built chest :D

I like the idea of needing metal to make (better) chests, but what could we use for storage until we have metal to make chests?

Perhaps we could use barrels or something similar?

Voulxe - You don't need nails or pegs to make a barrel. Proper barrels are made with just wood planks and banding (usually made from metal, but you can use rope too).

yeah pegs are a good t1 option, making nails t2. that works nicely! also chests are being ushered into a higher tier anyways when clay takes on a larger role in the next update (clay jars/pots) so this ties in nicely with the current development.

and csiler2 the point is that a bucket is more than just some planks in a circle, a chest is more than a hollow stack of planks, a door is more than tall planks in a row... there are mechanical necessities (metal/wood/fibre) that are omitted that are just as important as the planks are to the functionality!

Voulxe - You don't need nails or pegs to make a barrel. Proper barrels are made with just wood planks and banding (usually made from metal, but you can use rope too).

True, I have a barrel in my living room and it has 3 metal bandings. I did not want to push this topic too far into this direction.

But using a plan like the chisel's, rotated by 90°, you coud get 2 metal bandings out of one ingot or 4 out of a sheet?

So the recipe could look like this:

WBW

WBW

.W.

.: nothing

W:Wood

B: Banding

These could be used in a less powered system like in the factorization mod.

Only one kind of item per barrel. I Am totally unsure about balancing the max. storage (I tend to 27 TFC-stacks of an item).

The old recipe for barrels does not have to be obsolete, but they can only be used for liquids (tanning leather, making booze).

Concerning chests, which aren't just wooden boxes. They surely should be able to store a bit more than normal cases, as they are more stable.

I would tend to reduce normal chests to 1 row and leave the advanced chests to have the 2 rows, that we have now.

In my opinion 'Double Chests' have to be crafted and do not create a symbiotic partnership when placing chests next to each other (placing <-> placeing??? I don't know)

But the another purpose for chests could be the locking private stuff on a server. Now, locks and an anvil do not really work together in a constructive matter. So ... skip this :)/>

I like the idea of needing metal to make (better) chests, but what could we use for storage until we have metal to make chests?

Perhaps we could use barrels or something similar?

in beta three there will be clay age

with clay pots

There are quite a few active threads that may be obsolete with Beta 3.

So we can wait and hope that the developers imagination serves all our dreams and hopes or we can discuss things like this and give them some valuable input.

I like this idea. How hard would it be to make a clay pot? Really. But then we could stack them side by side and they would not link, that great!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0