Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dreadicon

Farming in TFC: Observations

4 posts in this topic

So, to share some insights into farming (if this is not something the devs want posted, please feel free to delete this thread.)

First, I have observed that when the temperature falls below 0, crops die, usually in winter, but occasionally you can get a early spring/late autumn freeze which kills them. The crop death isn't instant,

Second, If no one is on the server near the crops during the freezes, they will not die.

Third, crops have wildly different growth times. corn takes what seems like millenia to grow, while onions seem to take a month or two.

Fourth, crops seem to not grow when the temperature is too low. But more importantly, they still consume nutrients. So, even if your plants don't freeze in the winter, they will have no nutrients come spring to grow properly.

Now, with that information, I was able to put together a very nice farm with 3 tiers, plant in the spring, harvest in the summer and fall, and do reasonably well with my farms. Use that knowledge as something of a guide, if you will. Now the real anomaly to me is how some plants like tomatoes and bell peppers remain after harvesting. this seems doubly pointless to me, first in that by the time plants reach maturity, they have already depleted the soil of nutrients, and second the fact that they will die in the winter anyhow. Perhaps I am missing something? or maybe this is for planned uses of gypsum and other minerals which really are only used in agriculture AFAIK.

Just thought I would post some of my various thoughts on the matter of farming. Overall I love the realism and detail put into farming, and look forward to more features such as depleting water levels, and fertilizer options. One thing I do hope for that probably isn't planned at this time is that perhaps some day we will be able to build a greenhouse which keeps plants alive in winter.

Well, that's about it. Hope this is helpful to someone out there, and I didn't violate any forum etiquette about not spoiling stuff from the game.

I think the multiple harvest are meant to mean you can get multiple batches from each plant per growing season (although I am not sure if it currently works this way). This is actually quite realistic as certain vegetables (broccoli comes to mind) and fruit can produce multiple flowering bodies before beginning to die off. Since in many plants the best part to eat is the result from this flowering body (note: this is essentially what all fruits including bell peppers and tomatoes are), therefore multiple harvest can be both useful and understandable at the same time.

One thing that is worth mentioning is that many people seem overly obsessed about mineral fertilizers (I believe I have seen people suggest this multiple times). Fertilizer is not quite that simple. If you include no organic component (rotting detritus) then using minerals will do you no good. In fact many times it ruins the soil by making it too basic/acidic or salty. This is not to say that using minerals are bad it just should be balanced with other aspects. Perhaps each nutrient type corresponds to a different component of the soil. One for the organic part, another for mineral nutrients, and another for pH level (a middle level is best for most plants). This is only a tangentially related subject though, so you need not worry about it too much.

the growth times for any crop or vegetable scale with irl year lengths. Wheat takes 110 days to grow in a 365 day year, so it takes 29 days to grow in a 96 day year. Growth for crops will be faster or slower depending on temperature, hydration and nutrients. Its designed so that at average to ideal conditions, it will take 29 days. If you have poor climate or soil, it could take much longer.

I noticed in B75 crops grew more slowly with lower rainfall, was this changed in B76?

In B76, I planted crops many RL weeks ago (thus many in-game years) at Z -8700, in rainfall 8000 soil blocks with maxed nutrition (and obviously irrigated) and it refuses to grow beyond the first or second step. Our server year length is set to 360. Most crops grow and thrive, others just sit there doing nothing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0