Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vaelkyri

A simple, cheap, aesthetically pleasing and thematically fitting first home for the starting Terafirmacrafter.

45 posts in this topic

Thought Id share this simple, cheap and decent looking first home design I developed loosely based on the long barrows and roundhouses of stone age Europe.

It can be built quite quickly with readily available materials and holds everything you need for the early game. (havnt reached late game yet myself so not sure on whats needed there :P)

Start off by clearing a reasonable sized flat area, 20x20 is more then enough.

Lay down logs as shown, I find 13 long to be a good number for interior space without being overly large.

Posted Image

For the next section I find using fence posts as scaffolding quite handy, they are easy to make, dont react to gravity and break easily with an axe unlike logs.

Posted Image

Add on the roof like so.

Posted Image

With sidewalls and roof done all there is left to keep the nasties out is a front and back.

Posted Image

Now you have a safe place to call home its time to get onto the aesthetics, a log box is safe- but its not very pretty,

Dig out the floor except for a 2 wide section at the end for your bed. Use some planks to build some steps and a railing.

Add in some chests, tool racks, cooking bench and cut out a litte alcove for a fireplace (you can use fence posts for the fireplace framing until you get a saw to make support beams,) This place is starting to look like a home.

Posted Image

Cover the outside of the building in the dirt you picked up clearing the land, in time grass will spread over the builing and it will begin to blend into the environment.

Now we have the basics down, time to move on to the next level. A simple extension off the side using the same building methods.

Add in a chimney set back into the wall for the forge, setting it back allows for the forge to see the sky while not being directly exposed to rain.

Posted Image

You can use planks as braces to stop dirt falling down where you dont want it- in this case the chimney- but also on the building ends to hold the dirt up. The forge doesnt count the planks as a solid block so they dont block the chimney.

Posted Image

Inside set up your forge, some storage and tool racks, to save space you can use your stone anvil as a part of the Forge construction. Note the postioning, the chimney is not directly above the forge, but above the middle back block.

Posted Image

Adding on a small scale bloomery is simply a matter of cutting away some dirt cover near the chimney and putting it in the gap. Add in some supports to pretty up the entrance and there you have a smithy with everything you need.

Over time grass will grow over the entire building, leaving only the wood ends exposed, blending into the landscape organically leaving you with a fully functional cosy home to wait out the coming winter, or at least until you build something better :)

Here's one I prepared earlier.

Posted Image

Hmmmm i bet i could do better .....

Thought nice build , i thank you on the behalf of the terrafirmacrafters xD

Im sure you can do fancier, but stone age isnt fancy :P Trying to stick to the theme of stone age/early bronze that can be done with the only resources you have in those 1st few days, logs and dirt.

Much better than my usual slope-roofed plank boxes, I'll have to try this on my next world. Thanks!

Another thing I could see, just as a cheap and easy idea is either tepees or wigwams as a collapsible form of shelter for short term use.

Hey :) thanks for this guide i like this house pretty much and already built one ;) but what is this "cooking bench" mentioned there? i cant find anything about it :( would be nice if someone could inform me about

Click on any non dirt block with a knife, it will turn it into a food prep bench where you can combine 4 different ingredients in a wooden bowl to make a meal you can heat up for extra hunger/duration/effect

http://terrafirmacra...wiki/Food#Meals

Just a little update with a house Ive been in for a few days showing how you can customise the interior to make it more a Home then a Hovel.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I really like this house, so I just made one much like it. I added some cross-beams in the roof and made the front wall out of clay (dissappointed I couldn't bake it). I love your alternating wood flooring, I'll have to do something like that too.

One of the challenges I really like about TFC is that building underground is sooo much more difficult. But starting from a bare ground and building a log house, only to cover it with dirt, is a great way to "be underground" without starting subterranean. Besides, it's a big hobbit home, isn't it? Working on round wooden halls next.

i made my first house out of nothin but logs, its a really basic and quite crappy looking shack compared to what ive been working on about 100 meters away from it xD

Thank you for this guide. I love it! I just re-downloaded the mod to give it another go and will follow this guide for my first home :)

very nice, i will make my next home like this

My first house ends up being a weakly fortified dirt hole, this grand hobbit house makes most of my stuff look nooby XD

That looks cool!   Very comfortable looking.  How is it against mobs?

It looks nice, I've made cheaper, and smaller. I usually build a house on the first day... well a shack.

As long as it has wall on all sides and he adds a perimeter fence it should very, very safe. With the closest threat a spider

The only problem I can see is wood. If you don't find tall trees like kapok, sequoia, or something, getting wood can take a bit of a long time(took like 2~3 giant kapok to build). But a good size and not too resource consuming. and looks really nice. The fact that you can expand it as much as you like without making it look too weird is also a plus

Not sure if you still check this, but could you tell me how you made that chair by the fire? i cant seem to replicate it :/

Not sure if you still check this, but could you tell me how you made that chair by the fire? i cant seem to replicate it :/

It appears to be created using the detail mode of a chisel on a solid wood plank block, not with individual plank items.

Amazing, inspired to get back on the TFC horse and start playing again. I'm the worst builder without doubt.