Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Auburn Crow

Setting Sail - The High Seas (Boat Expansion)

6 posts in this topic

By far the biggest element of much of TFC as I've noticed with a majority of the worlds is the Ocean. The ocean yes that vast expanse of seemingly endless water, that streachs for kilometers of in-game space leaving you waddling idiotically for weeks or even at the best of times, paddling seemingly endlessly through the water with your bare hands.

In many cases the most essential reason that a new boat system and boat types should be placed is mainly for resources. Here is the idea.

The Vanilla boats will be deleted, (now come on people, can you paddle a boat across miles with your bare hands?) The simplest form of boat will be a kind of raft-like pad, consisting of either sicks or planks tied with wool string or spider string. It's placed in sections, each section is placed on the water much like a boat. However you would need to place 9 of these around a central one in order for the raft to work. Then you would be able to gently float about paddling up and down stream. Simple. crude and easy to make...however, now I'll get to the interesting part.

As many TFC players know, you often don't have the luxury of spawning in a perfect spawn area. Often we spawn on isolated continents which for some reason are cursed with no ore at all, no trees, or higher tier Copper which in truth by itself without any other Tier 0 ore is a sad fate indeed. So you do set out and find after several in-game days of traveling you find your tier I metal. BUT guess what you have FULL POCKETS. Now what? Store the mass of items you've aquired and slowly take them back and forth? OR....sail them back and forth.

Its a solution that advances the game play Above the first simple raft we'd then have something more like that of a canoe, which historically were able to cross vast distances (Not whole oceans but still considerably large bodys of water).

You'd first place three logs on the ground, making sure they appear as if layed sideways in the same direction ( Think as if you'd just placed a tree on its side) then with a ax you can somehow carve this, maybe even a special low tier stone tool that helps you carve out this canoe. Once done the canoe acts like the vanilla boat would, on land you'd have to push it to shore and into the water. It would kind of 'run away' if you hit it but not exactly fast like the vanilla MC boats. Then you would be able to place things such as Clay pots, or Leather sacs, by shift clicking in a 4x4 area, much like the Lumber piles. However this is limited to ONLY clay pots and sacks, as to keep players primitive. (Not in a bad way more like to keep balance)

After which you can travel onward and across the ocean in your small but worth while canoe. Using Oars to row your way. These oars would allow you to move the boat and WOULD deteriorate over time. Thus they can break, and you'd have to make multiple.

However past this stage is where it really begins to get "FUN" in a sense.

Here players would enter the Sailing stage. Sailboats would be able to be made, now using your newly acquired metals.

There would have to be some sort of floor plan for the boats, much like how you have to build bloomerys in a specific way you would have to do that for higher tier boats as well. However that would be just it the base, not the solid you have to do this. First off it would have to have a mast with would be made with Support beams, and either Cloth or Leather. (Preferably Cloth due to leather being in a case a bit TOO rare in some circumstances)

Then there would need to be a mast, main deck, under deck, and a wheel to steer the ship. (Through manipulated the Mainsail.) These larger ships would take up more space than the Canoes, and players themselfs would be able to make thier boat in any shape they desire. After they build the basic dimensions, the ship would be able to be customized, having a railings, crew quarters, and storage areas with sacks, jars, and at this point Chests. (I'll actually be discussing chests more in another post I'll make)

From this point I think it would really stay in a sailing era until a reliable steam-age could be made, or at the very least a sort of TFC steam age mod.

okay, first off? LOVE the amount of content in this post. You took your time thinking about this and I appreciate that.

But FOR FUCK'S SAKE. There is a thread about this still on the first. Goddamn. Page.

That essentially makes this high-quality spam.

Come on man.

That essentially makes this high-quality spam.

That even possible

Hey don't got attacking at people. I didn't know there already was a post, and frankly jumping the gun at me is pretty short sighted of you so cool it. Not all of us have completely went though the forums.

first of all, he did compliment you on the content of your post, secondly, there is indeed a topic on boats within 15 topics of this, just looking would be enough, and basic forum rule: look at past posts with the search bar before posting, i myself am a GREAT advocate for an upgrade in boating and anything maritime related, but because people keep splitting up the topics its hard to get a good focused topic on the subject.

(see undeath, nothing personal, but you could leave these bits out next time: But FOR FUCK'S SAKE, Goddamn Come on man) that alone would make your posts completely legit and worthy of your title, dont degrade yourself to 4chan level :/

first of all, he did compliment you on the content of your post, secondly, there is indeed a topic on boats within 15 topics of this, just looking would be enough, and basic forum rule: look at past posts with the search bar before posting, i myself am a GREAT advocate for an upgrade in boating and anything maritime related, but because people keep splitting up the topics its hard to get a good focused topic on the subject.

(see undeath, nothing personal, but you could leave these bits out next time: But FOR FUCK'S SAKE, Goddamn Come on man) that alone would make your posts completely legit and worthy of your title, dont degrade yourself to 4chan level :/

I was birthed from the pus-filled diseased womb of /b/. The old one, where anon was faceless, hated the entire rest of humanity, and would have sent letter bombs to anyone caught with a guy fawkes mask

I am 4chan level. And I couldn't be happier more dead inside

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0