Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Roark92

ground-stacking bricks and buckets

3 posts in this topic

I did search for this and I came up empty so flame me for my shitty idea and not for redundancy please! ;)

Anyways, don't know if its intended for the future or not, but much like ingots can be placed on the ground in neat stacks and be non stackable in inventory, I believe that bricks should ALSO follow this same logic... HOWEVER perhaps have bricks stack up to 4 in inventory instead of 1.

seems to make perfect sense to me as bricks are of a comparable size and weight (depending on material). Functionality would be the exact same as ingots, and for the model get rid of the bevelled edges on the model and adjust colour for stone type.

as for buckets it seems to make sense that a bucket of water wouldn't be kept in a chest... but instead on the ground. i suppose they could just be groups of 4 (a bucket in each corner of the block its placed upon) but how its implemented is a design/balance choice.

Apart from being believable and logical, I imagine it would necessitate a new structure (stonemason) to hold these materials and craft them. also people more inclined to manufacture and store them for easy availability. more in depth professions is always good i think.

somewhat off topic but ill say it anyways... ill suggest that instead of:

water bucket + flux + sand = 16 mortar (that you just carry around in your hand???)

it would be more along the lines of:

waterbucket + flux + sand = bucket of mortar with durabilty (breaks when empty, cleaning mortar out of a wooden bucket is a futile endeavour)

and then crafting stone brick would be 4 stone in the grid and the mortar beside it, and each craft hits the durability (contents). 4 bricks and not 5 because it will be more tedious to do so the extra brick saved will help offset that.

if one wanted to go crazy into it you could make a trowel tool, and require that along with the mortar to make bricks.

I'm really into the idea of skilled professions in game because it is all that can actually drive an in game economy. i think some people should be better at doing certain things than others. and also that at least a tiny bit of tedium makes a big difference and is necessary in creating trade. there are only 2 reasons why you would ever pay someone to do something or to give something to you...

1. the other person is better at doing or making it than you... or

2. it takes time and attention to do or make and you have other stuff to be doing/making instead.

im sure there are many issues with it, (just only using smoothstone instead for example) but this is a forum and so it is the readers responsibility to tell me how stupid i am and maybe suggest better methods!

This is rather similar to the thread I made on barrels, although also different in its own right as well. Personally I like the idea of the mortar remaining in the buckets and that being slowly used up with each use. If this were combined with bricks being stackable, a crafting grid may not even be necessary for making a brick wall. Instead, bricks could be placed in world and then the mortar bucket applied to them with a right click. The only concern I have for this sort of system would be determining how many bricks applied in this manner would constitute a brick wall (in other words how big is each individual brick). Even more important would be the balancing of the amount of mortar that one bucket holds. Since I have no working knowledge of construction, I cannot really comment on how much a small bucket would feasibly hold in a real life sort of sense. However being able to make 2 or 3 wall segments seems a reasonable amount to me (this means very little change to the ratio as it stands now).

As far as the trowel tool. I hope it doesn't become to much of a hassle to make. After all the same effect could be done with a piece of smoothed out stone or wood (no metal necessary). Even with these simple materials it seems to me that a trowel could be used almost indefinitely as long as one did not allow mortar to harden on it.

i had that same thought as well gatts, i just was also unsure of how to make it place the bricks when you right click with them. since one brick wouldnt be enough to justify a full block, and making the devs design a new system for laying bricks is presumptious, and i assume would break chisel functionality (which is too cool to mess with).

the trowel thing is overkill and i realized that, i was just saying its a possibility for really fleshing out the stoneworking even further.

but yeah that was all a tangent on my part. i actually started that post simply to suggest that bricks be stacked on the ground like ingots! lol its how suggestion posts go i suppose.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0