Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bugsymalone1

TIREDNESS METRE

13 posts in this topic

how about another meter used for your tiredness. every now and again you would have to lay in a bed or a chair (new feature possibility) because you cannot stand up for 3 days straight or run for a whole day can you? the chair could also be a decorative feature for a house.

it would make the game as a whole more realistic and more demanding.

also if you get too tired you could get the nausea or blindness effect as a warning as when you are tired you eyes kinda try to close don't they.

and if you go all the way down you faint.aka die XD

opinions?

hmmm maybe. i like to saty awake when my crops and fruit trees are at their harvest stage so i can get the most out of them, so it could be a bit of a pain.....but it is an idea to consider

how about another meter used for your tiredness. every now and again you would have to lay in a bed or a chair (new feature possibility) because you cannot stand up for 3 days straight or run for a whole day can you? the chair could also be a decorative feature for a house.

it would make the game as a whole more realistic and more demanding.

also if you get too tired you could get the nausea or blindness effect as a warning as when you are tired you eyes kinda try to close don't they.

and if you go all the way down you faint.aka die XD

opinions?

I was just thinking of this yesterday. And perhaps, as it progresses, labor becomes less effective, and eventually, you become unable to jump, and move at a slow pace. That, and you'll drown in the ocean once you're tired enough. That's actually a good idea, I think at least.

Not untill you work out an ability to make cheap way to quench it. Because as it is, it's just adding downtime to the game.

Metre: the metric unit of length

Meter: something used to measure something

i think you meant to use the latter of the two

Eh, I think not. So get this: TFCraft is a game, and games are about fun. This game in particular is also about verisimilitude, but then again all features are time-mapped from our 24-hour scale to a ~20 minute scale, which means that we can just assume that there has been downtime to rest anyway, and not be confined to the monotony of doing so ourselves. Now I think that the way a player's function and their health, hunger, and thirst affect each other should be altered, but as a no-imput system I would wholly expect player 'fatigue' to be based off of the previously mentioned three statistics.

Bedrest, however, is a different topic - but a very controversial one, as there is no obvious good way to implement it. The best way I can think of to implement a better rest mechanic is to allow anyone to sleep anywhere, but the conditions of their rest location affects their stat usage/regen and afflictions upon waking. However, there is still the matter of enforcing sleep, although that could be made with a simple 'encouragement' feature that makes lack of rest (especially when injured) reduces performance to the point mention in the OP.

As for furniture, use planks and microblocks. I have seen some amazing creations utilizing these features, and while I'm presently no good at it, I'm sure a little practice and design method research would go a long way.

As a final note, be careful with that r word around these parts, there are many people who would be glad to correct you. This mod is strictly about believability, not realism. ;)

i agree with OP that tiredness would be nice. its essentially a stamina meter yes, but i like how it directly reflects ones need to sleep, as opposed to ones need to sleep, eat, rest, regenerate, contemplate, etc, like stamina does since stamina pretty much describes your body's overall status.

the sleeping thing is really iffy though because on one hand, you cant have it so that people need to lay in a bed or sit on a chair for 10 full minutes as it is too boring.

Also you can't have it so that people need to lay in bed or sit on a chair for 5 seconds, as that is essentially just what hunger/thirst and eating/drinking is right now.

i really like the idea, but i just cant see it being done without making it an immensely tedious and repetitive task. Hunger and thirst need to be worked on A LOT right now. as in completely redone. so adding new limitations when the existing ones are incomplete seems unwise.

make a little wooden chair, cheap and early game 2

Because there's nothing more exciting than to sit in the chair for couple of minutes doing nothing, right?

And using a chair (aka. sitting) shold let the time go like twice faster (as you can skip the night, but this should also let you have shorten days, like if you want to kill and get lots of experience from killing... or you just need some TNT, or a fishing rod...

I totally agree with Xechon. Each minute you play advances time in the game by over an hour (72 minutes). If you spend 20 seconds looking at something, thinking about your plans and what you want to do with it, or looking in a chest for an item and thinking about what you have to make to get what you need, that 20 seconds equates to an average lunch break for most people who work for a living. That's where your Steve is getting his rest, and if you play like me he gets a lot of it.

There is definitely a good idea in here somewhere, I just can't seem to pin down what it is. I think this has potential but in it's current state is simply too restrictive and I see many issues with SMP. You may want to try the smart moving mod. I was 100% against it when I first started using it, but it prevents long distance sprints and such by way of an energy meter that pops up when you are exerting youself by running fast or swimming fast.

Cheers.

I thought about this recently as well, tiredness would be a nice thing when done right. It should not be too intrusive, like I've seen in other games before. It should not outright force you to sleep, with blacking out your screen, or even adding Minecraft's nausea effect e.g. ... that gets me motion sick badly and I can't look at the screen.

Tiredness could induce the slowness effect, or mining fatigue (breaking blocks takes longer), as well as weakness. And like in real life, when you're awake for very long and neither your mind or your body is occupied with work, doing something, concentrating on something, these effects get progressively stronger. If you're moving and working, the effects of tiredness could be less significant.

This also opens up new random effects for prepared meals, reducing your tiredness, new energy drinks or coffee, that can stave off your need for sleep for a while. Also like in real life, which is not necessarily going for realism but it's believable, you should be able to sleep at any time of the day if you're tired. I can certainly do that ;)

There is no other use in Minecraft for sleeping than for skipping the night and make the monster spawns go away, which I don't find particularly believable either. Monsters popping out of nowhere... yea, sure. And when you wake up, you could feel invigorated and refreshed, getting a weak/short sprint effect, jump boost, maybe haste, strength? One or two of these as random picks?

Now I guess the hard part... multiplayer, since it wouldn't make sense to skip time by a few thousand ticks for everyone every time someone goes to bed, would it?

Would it actually be possible to implement a tiny minigame for sleeping? If you're doing well, the aforementioned refreshment effects from sleeping could last even longer. Maybe craft a certain shape or figure in the stone knapping/leatherworking GUI in a certain amount of time?

Or just click the windows away if you can't be bothered with it, your tiredness goes down but you won't get any positive potion effects either.