Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToySoldierAlan

Food Degradation and Preservation- Canning, Pickling, and Jerky

12 posts in this topic

So one remaining unrealistic part of this game is that food doesn't degrade. It remains fresh forever! As convenient as this makes it to stockpile food, it seems a little out of place with the rest of the mod.

I believe I have come up with a solution to this. It comes in the form of food degredation and counteracting it through pickling, canning, and making jerky.

Here's how pickling works: First, you make a jar which is made the same way as a wood bucket, except it makes 4 jars and the recipe requires glass instead of planks. The jars would then be filled with vinegar (I'll get to that in a bit) and packed with 8 of the food. The jars would then be left to sit for a while and then put (four at a time?) into a pot(made with an iron sheet on an anvil with a plan) filled with water and warmed on a firepit.

This would complete the process and then the jars could be stored by stacking on the ground, much like ingots.

Now, I mentioned vinegar earlier. I think that cane vinegar should be used. (It's a thing!) Finally there would be a use for all that sugarcane. Cane vinegar is made by fermenting sugar water and yeast. Yeast water can be made by putting fruit into a jar with water and letting it sit for a few days, like how real yeast is made. The yeast water would then have sugar added to it and left to sit for about a week, and then warmed in the fire to stop fermentation, leaving you with a jar of vinegar. Yeast water could also be used to replace the water in the recipe for bread, making that a little more realistic.

Here's how canning works: The same jars from the pickling process are used here, fruit would be put into the jars along with water and sugar, and then put through the same pot of water warming system as pickling. Pretty simple.

Here's how making jerky works: first, cut the meat into strips with a knife and then put them into a dehydrator that's fueled with sticks. I say sticks because it seems like coal or logs would bee too much heat, and dehydration requires a slow burn with constant heat. Sticks would be able to stack up to 16 in the dehydrator and be consumed one at a time. I can't really think of a dehydrator recipe, maybe it could be a multiblock structure?

Now for what food can be preserved with each method.

Pickling: oilves, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, cabbage, garlic, carrot, soybeans, green beans, squash, eggs, and all types of peppers.

Canning: Lemons, oranges, peaches, plumbs, maize, and both types of apples.

Jerky: fish, beef, pork, chicken, mutton, and, actually, bananas. Cutting bananas and putting them in the dehydrator would give you banana chips.

After pickling, sealed jars could be carried around in stacks of 8, but once opened the jar would go back to being a food item that degrades over time, albeit more slowly. It would also contain 8 uses, reflecting the amount of food put into it. Jerky and banana chips can stack to 64.

this has already been suggested, i recall dunk saying that they simply cannot implement this right now without digging into item metadata.

My bad. I looked through recent posts and didn't see anything about food preservation. It does seem odd that they couldn't add this, it's just like how things have heat values that degrade over time. Whatever, I'm not a modder.

The issue is less that it can't be done and more that it would kill inventory space, each piece of food of the same type would have it's own value

preventing them from being stacked on one another. You bring up item heat which is a great example of this, you can stack ingots in the same

slot once they've cooled but while they still have heat you aren't able to because as far as minecraft is concerned they aren't the same item.

My bad. I looked through recent posts and didn't see anything about food preservation. It does seem odd that they couldn't add this, it's just like how things have heat values that degrade over time. Whatever, I'm not a modder.

yknow theres this thing on the forums called a search bar you can use, it's really not that hard

Alan, the heat levels do the same thing, once you break a stack of bars from the metals table you can never recombine them because their metadata has changed and is no longer the same.

Alan, the heat levels do the same thing, once you break a stack of bars from the metals table you can never recombine them because their metadata has changed and is no longer the same.

imagine harvesting an apple, and say, five seconds later, harvesting another apple from another tree in your orchard, they wouldn't stack and cause an enormous annoyance, because they'd have different decay values because one was harvested just a few seconds later. The only possible solution I can think of for this is if food already doesn't stack naturally with some sort of a inventory revamp, like it used to not be able to stack in minecraft.

Why not create something like a placeable barrel, that would be like a chest inside. you would put your food in there (they would all have to bee the same food, eg apples) and the barrel looks at what food item has decayed the most. The barrel would then turn all the other items in the barrel to match the same decay as the other food item, so then all the food inside the barrel has the same data so it can all be stacked.

Odd, my post about food stacking didn't take. Either way, I really like the barrel stacking idea Davoval made. The apples in the barrel would either average out their freshness value or maybe skew to the rotten side, along the lines of "one bad apple spoils the bunch". That would solve storage of unpreserved food and allow you to take out stacks that all have the same freshness. You could even put the barrel right next to your fields, so you wouldn't have to walk far to get stackable food.

Why would I ever want to stack fresh food with rotten food then?

Why would I ever want to stack fresh food with rotten food then?

i dunno, its generally not a good idea to mash a fresh apple right on top of a rotten one anyway

the reason would be so that you could get a heap of food (whatever that is) put it in and it would give it all the same data so you can stack it.....yes your food would missout with this,(some of your good food would become worse) although you would be able to stack it.....if the idea of rotting food was implemented, and rotten food was used as fertalizer, it could become a quick way of producing it.......

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0