Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenLeaf

To heck with the current communication!

15 posts in this topic

Right, so please take this suggestion with a bottle of booze because i hardly know what the hell i'm talking about. this is just something that's kinda been bugging me for a while.

It's waaay too easy to talk with eachother in minecraft! in creative it doesn't matter but in survival multiplayer it's a huge thing! just think of the utter ass rape of your immersion to the game if you spend half an hour tunnel exploring until you find yourself trapped. in true immersive roleplay spirit you'd keep your mouth shut and find a way out, or die trying, but what most people do i think is simply call for help, give them the cordinates and he's free in no time!

Because in minecraft you can talk to people several thousands of blocks away from you in no time! and there's really no good explanation for why you can do this, yeah i know i'm overanalyzing things, it's just there! from the begining, it's completely free and it's instant.

So please. Bioxx, Dunk, if it's possible to nerf this god power then do it!

Here's what i had in mind.

Constrict the chat messages to only show up if you are a certain amounts of blocks away from the person who typed them.

And then the option to whisper or shout to have a little bit of control over things.

To make long distance messages go where they need to go i have another idea.

Pessenger midg- Messenger pidgeons man!

at first i thought, man wouldn't it be cool to send out messenger pidgeons instead of typing the words into the chat?

But then as a spun along on it i came to the conclusion that that would be retarded. too many flying pidgeons that needs to have loaded chunks everywhere.

So i thought even further. why not just have your ordinary mailbox, such as the one in Forestry but to give it a little more TFC it would be a cage for pidgeons which you would have to catch from the wild, or breed in captivity, and then actually train each pidgeon to carry your messages.

So that would be how you'd conduct long distance conversation with people. a slight delay should be in order for the letter to arrive as well. the longer away the longer it takes to get there? yeah that'd be cool. if it's possible!

i think thats really cool and id be really down for that, but there is NO way in hell that anyone is going to get on board with this. its complicating a REALLY basic system (the chat system)

prepare yourself for the; "its about believability not realism!!!" and "its a game and needs to stay a game" posts

This is trying to fix something that isn't broken. Based on my experience chat is just used for unrelated conversation, your results may vary. But the system works fine for me, and if you don't like the immersion, you can't stop people from communicating over skype or whatnot.

This isn't an attack on you, obviously it is well thought out. I just don't think this element effects actual game play enough to be changed.

That would be the very point of it all Roark! complicating something very basic from vanilla minecraft that in my opinion is too easy. it's not a poke at becoming more "realistic" i already know the deal with that. it's a poke at changing something that is so childishly simple and easy that, dare i say it, breaks some of the the games challenges.

as for theJalden, you've got a valid point. i can't stop people from using skype or other ways of communication. that's something that the player himself need to keep away from.

I wouldn't call the ingame chat broken. it's just too simple to use from the very beginning. i'd say it's one of the few last vanilla godpowers. it doesn't need to be "fixed" it needs to be nerfed!

Heya GreenLeaf,

I understand your point very good. One point is that I really want to listen to all of the chat. On a server the F1-key is my friend.

Nonetheless, there are plugins for minecraft servers that already handle your request (Not in form of pigeons, of course) but at least to mute the chat over certain distances. This is in my opinion the most important point. So I doubt that the wheel will be reinvented by the tfc-team.

I've often thought of how handy it would be to have a mod that not only handled voice chat, but faded out the volume based on distance (maybe even simulated echoes) to make it feel more like your character is communicating with the other characters. Not really something most people building 2D 8-bit video game characters out of colored wool would ever use, but if you wanted your game to feel more immersive it would be a great boon.

But I'm with Voulxe. Also, if it's a good mod and it doesn't depend on TFC, then it should be a mod that can be used by anyone regardless of what other mods they are using or not using.

you know, dayz direct communication works somewhat exactly like you guys intend ;) and as to the chat, you could always turn it off (i think?) if it botheres you, but ive indeed noticed chat being used in manners that break any form of immersion, like people communicating about their cats 30k blocks apart :/ although its somewhat essential for larger servers to still have an adequate, fast form of long range messaging, especially for admin support, perhaps as a server setting the chat could be toggleable per player?

Well there would be an ,admin only , chat right ? So if you need support on something , or someone is griefing , they could interwien , without anyone else knowing what is happening so they would be less bothered , there are plugins that enable this you know :)

Perhaps plugins would be the easier way to go then! is there any that works with TFC?

I don't know but they probably will in any mod of minecraft server , they are used very commonly belive it or not , you can locate it on the "bukkit" ,

bukkit does not work with forge, bukkit forge does not work with TFC, If someone could create a TFC exclusive version of this then great, but until bukkit and forge work on compatibility with each other then i don't see this happening anytime soon. unless a modder sees this and just to prove me wrong writes a plugin that works similar to the bukkit version. >.>

messenger pigeons would work so well with cities, you could have city chat, and 100 block radius chat and anything else could be sent with pigeons from a homestone (like in bioxx's civilization post) or a pigeon loft as a letter. as for trying to fix something that isn't broken thejalden, the vanilla furnace system works just fine for example, its just not as cool as terrafirmacraft. as for stopping people going on skype, i rarely go on skype with everyone on a 30 man server. this thread deserves at least some developer thought in my opinion and should go further than what bukkit already allows on multiplayer servers. nice idea GreenLeaf :)

100 blocks is a bit short given your render distance, it should IMO be a full 256 blocks radius around you, to accomodate for max rendering with optifine (without extreme)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0