Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krski

Quantum computers

20 posts in this topic

What are your guys thoughts on quantum computers ?

I am afraid that someone will code them with a base program for true human inteligance and they might evolve beyond us ,,,,

I really hope that we have a future ....

So what are your thoughts

P.S. one is in production by GOOGLE and the other one in some canadian company , while the U.S. scientists have created a network 2 years ago.

So don't have to search if you are too lazy http://computer.hows...a-computer3.htm

Also what about DNA computers ? Are we them ?

well everyone knows that the earth and all life on it is part of an enourmous computer being used to calculate the ultimate question to the ultimate answer of 42

and on the topic of artificial intelegence, i think the biggest problem with that, is getting humans to accept AI's into society without ridiculous ammounts of racism towards the AI's

quantum computers are really ineffective. like extremely ineffective. i do not know about the one google is invested into but the canadian one (D-Wave) isnt a "quantum computer" in a conventional sense and so is quite effective at what it does (which is boring analytical stuff).

as for advancing beyond us, probably not, since at a level where its actually a concern (so very very far from now) we will in all likelihood already be merging with machines into a transhuman sort of state. so we'd advance together.

besides, even if the AI DID take over, could they really do a worse job than we are doing already?

With our tech level today, making a neural network that could support an AI, that also could give it self awareness, is not likely to happen any time soon.

But i would love to live long enough to see it happen :)

Until we develop a practical method for forcing two particles to become entangled, quantum computing will accomplish relatively little. However, once quantum entanglement falls under our control it will enable us to effectively abuse the properties of two entangled particles and properly utilize quantum teleportation to some degree of consistency. At that point private organizations with the proper funding will be able to put quantum computing to good use, but even then it will take a considerable amount of time for quantum computing to reach a state where it is cost effective for consumers or even government use.

Quantum computing isn't going to magically transport us to a world of hologram communicators and space-time manipulators. As I see it, quantum computing is simply an inevitable step in order for the connotations of Moore's Law to hold true. At the time when quantum computing becomes publicly available it will likely be no different than the progress in computing power which we have continued to make over the past 70 or so years. There will be about as much hype as a new iPhone release.

.... hype as a new iPhone release.

And communicating with mars without the 22-44 minute wait, will also be cool ;)

And communicating with mars without the 22-44 minute wait, will also be cool ;)

I wonder if Mars One will still be alive...

Quantum computer aint gonna think instead of you. In fact, they are no closer to thinking than normal computers.

Human doesn't know how can he think, and we can't emulate we-don't-know-what.

I wonder if Mars One will still be alive...

If they stick to there plan, there is no reason to think otherwise, which i look forward to. A very cool project, indeed, imho.

Quantum computer aint gonna think instead of you. In fact, they are no closer to thinking than normal computers.

Human doesn't know how can he think, and we can't emulate we-don't-know-what.

I think, that if there was some kind or neural network device that had enough room to store the amount of information that a human brain can store, and access that information the way our brain does, or very similar, then i am very reluctant to think that such a think as a self aware AI is the next logical step of development.

Saying that, i do not believe on a scenario from the movie Terminator or Star Galactica. In both scenarios the AI is presented with having human emotions, and that is hate. For that to happen, an AI would have to become human with all the neurological pathways and the complete nerves system with all it's sensory network. It would have to feel what a human feels, to understand a human, to understand what an emotion like hate even means.

I think, for such an AI, we humans would be very strange, and maybe even funny.

But i will stop here, because this topic could write at least a few books worth :)

And you asked "Also what about DNA computers ? Are we them ?".

The simple answer would have to be No.

DNA is a blueprint of us. That includes our brain which is our CPU+Memory, which could be looked at as our computer, so that makes DNA an instruction manual on how to make a computer.

DNA is also a very good data storage system that has very good error correction features. I'm eager to see how that technology will be developed, and where it will take us.

Interesting time we live in, interesting indeed :)

I think, that if there was some kind or neural network device that had enough room to store the amount of information that a human brain can store, and access that information the way our brain does, or very similar, then i am very reluctant to think that such a think as a self aware AI is the next logical step of development.

This is the problem. We don't know how our brain stores and accesses information.

Forget computers, i've kind of been wondering about what happens when artificial limbs and body parts become better than real human parts. would people intentionally have themselves slowly, peice by peice, "upgraded"? at what point would this become an argument over if they're still truly human or not?

Forget computers, i've kind of been wondering about what happens when artificial limbs and body parts become better than real human parts. would people intentionally have themselves slowly, peice by peice, "upgraded"? at what point would this become an argument over if they're still truly human or not?

I know I will. Although it won't happen for quite some time, because I'm young and my limbs' limit in speed and precision is far from that of artifiicial parts. And I will be no less human then than people who lost their leg or two and are using artificial means of transport.

Well i won't those people have replaced they're legs and arms not for speed but to comencate they're loss it isn't better than having what nature and evolution gave you . For me modyfing your body isn't something i would do , but i wouldn't judge , but what worryes me is brain modyfing is that the point where you become someone else (kill your self ?) ? We change bodyes every 5 years but they really don't surpass our abilityes and what we can control , what an interesting time we live in xD

Well i won't those people have replaced they're legs and arms not for speed but to comencate they're loss it isn't better than having what nature and evolution gave you . For me modyfing your body isn't something i would do , but i wouldn't judge , but what worryes me is brain modyfing is that the point where you become someone else (kill your self ?) ? We change bodyes every 5 years but they really don't surpass our abilityes and what we can control , what an interesting time we live in xD

Consider fleshing out your thoughts, the only thing I gathered from all of this is that you believe artificial limb can never be better than natural one.

No you missunderstood , and i just can't explain ....

what he's trying to say is that when we can just swap bodies around, we loze sight of our own individual conscience, and thus might end up becoming something inhuman, especially when brain modifying is involved, you could change a person so far he would have NO recollection of who he was...ever.

I guess the brain is not a quantum computer ,we have a binary way of thinking that we use to define things and remember and make the trought that is common sense using other parts of our brain not one single cell to remember , and this would work on the quantum scale but the neurons and matter in our brain seems not to be coded in such a way , we really don't know , we might have uncovered a new subject or i am stupid .....

In either way canging your brain would lead to a different person if the brain was modified in many regions .

Quantum computers are fuggin neat. I dont fear the advent of an AI, and to be certain, AI's wont process information in the same way we do, so the idea of a Human intelligence being emulated is nonsense, but we could certainly create a system which is capable of changing its own programming, interpreting sensory input, and making abstract associations, which in effect will act alot like ours, but the implementation will undoubtably be very different. Alot of whats been said here is true, IE we dont know exactly how the human brain processes information. We do know that its not a simple binary calculation, and that an absurd amount of parallel processing takes place in our heads. Its also clear that individual brains, while similar in a physical sense, are a product of genes and experience, making the network of neurons unique from one brain to the next.

Quantum computers are essentially classical computers with the potential for a vast number of processors, because the atoms inside the 'processor' of these machines each act as their own processor. I dont think we will have to worry about being overtaken by AI's or any of that nonsense, because I share the sentiment here about the transhuman future of our species. A blending of humans and technology. Ray Kurzweil is a futurist who has dubbed the moment in the future where computing power becomes sufficent to emulate a human mind the "Singularity". he predicts that at that point, the human mind could be uploaded in a way to cyberspace, allowing us to free ourselves from physical constraints. Hes gone so far as to take a huge number of medications, and a strict diet/exercise in an effort to live long enough to see this take place, and thus become immortal in cyberspace. It may very well be that this might take place. I cant say im entirely sold on the idea yet. The availability of this option is also open to question. Storage space would quickly become scarce when you consider that a typical human mind can contain petabytes of information. It might also be that creating an AI from scratch is currently beyond us, and the first version of AI we actually encounter might be emulated human minds, uploaded from an actual human being, and not something created from scratch in an IDE. If thats the case, we might find (with much more computing power available to the human mind) that a true AI might not be possible or desireable. Regardless of how this plays out, there is still the problem of the electric bill. At least for the forseeable future, people like us will be required to maintain the infrastructure machines rely on.

Ray Kurzweil is a futurist who has dubbed the moment in the future where computing power becomes sufficent to emulate a human mind the "Singularity". he predicts that at that point, the human mind could be uploaded in a way to cyberspace, allowing us to free ourselves from physical constraints. Hes gone so far as to take a huge number of medications, and a strict diet/exercise in an effort to live long enough to see this take place, and thus become immortal in cyberspace. It may very well be that this might take place. I cant say im entirely sold on the idea yet. The availability of this option is also open to question. Storage space would quickly become scarce when you consider that a typical human mind can contain petabytes of information. It might also be that creating an AI from scratch is currently beyond us, and the first version of AI we actually encounter might be emulated human minds, uploaded from an actual human being, and not something created from scratch in an IDE. If thats the case, we might find (with much more computing power available to the human mind) that a true AI might not be possible or desireable. Regardless of how this plays out, there is still the problem of the electric bill. At least for the forseeable future, people like us will be required to maintain the infrastructure machines rely on.

I've got an opinion from somewhere that Kurzweil doesn't always know what he's talking about. But don't quote me on this, I might be just underslept (or how do you people name this thing).

Well. If some of you guys are interested in blending of people and technology and more specifically the part that might be happening to some of us eventually, I advise you to look up Avatar Project of 2045 Initiative Group and more specifically the Global Future 2045 International Congress which will actually happen on a next week's holiday. (15-16th of June 2013, New York, Alice Tully Hall)

Well arguing that anyone is right just because of their name, is always gunna be an argument from authority. Ray could indeed be wrong, and there are plenty of other well respected biologists, computer scientists, and even other futurists who think hes gone off the deep end. Time will tell I suppose.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0