Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bihlbo

Arctic Expedition

52 posts in this topic

...but without a clear way to tell you what the temperature is...

You can fix that. Add the information to the popup that appears when you press N. People might argue that accurately telling the temperature requires technology not available to a person in the wild, but with our natural senses we are able to tell the difference between two temperatures that differ by only one or two degrees, so I wouldn't dumb down the debug info any further than removing the decimal point.

when greenhouses get implementet in the future, it could be rather interesting to live in an arctic area. but even peat can ran out, peat and coal (if u find some underground), with quite big greenhouses (or very small trees) you could make charcoal

when greenhouses get implementet in the future

Where did you read about greenhouses? Is that something being considered or a feature in development?

I recently set out to find a better settlement. I'm sure I could have found some ore by using a sluice, but that requires wood and takes at least as long as relocating. Being on a couple of small islands in the ocean is a fun limitation where the weather is nice, but it's prohibitively difficult in the arctic. First, I made a trip to warmer lands to collect seeds and more saplings.

To the northwest I found a rather large landmass and settled in a shallow lake. I again dug myself a hole, relying on the ice to form my roof. I don't know why I didn't expect it, but even the arctic has warm summers where the ice thaws. I thought it was kind of neat to swim through my roof, and thought about calling myself Meatbob Squarepants, but then at night the temperature dropped. When the ice formed, it updated the water blocks, which then flooded my home. So this works fine in the winter but not at all in the summer.

I soon got some crops planted. This had me very excited for the future, so I planted the saplings as well. Hopefully the warm winter months can supply me with all the wheat and wood I need for the year.

I found some surface ores in quite a few places and have plans to start mining as soon as I have the pick. However, this landmass seems to have no peat so I might not be able to smelt more than one ingot with my remaining wood.

The temperature fluctuations seem to be too great for my crops. Everything planted has uprooted itself. I retain the seeds, but I don't know if they will ever have a long enough period of warm weather in order to grow fully. After a week my saplings remain ungrown.

Good news however! I have found two plum trees on the island and now have three bushes growing nicely near my snow house at the lake. These can supplement my fishing and egg collecting with food that doesn't need to be cooked. I'm surprised they grow without hesitation when a fir tree seems unable to take root.

In this expedition I'm comparing the life I'm able to live with that of real people who have settled in arctic climates. One thing is certain: the game is not meant to be played like this. There is no possibility of replacing the numbers of animals I hunt for food and hides. The bones of creatures cannot be harvested to make tools or for building structures. Driftwood does not exist. Animal fat cannot be harvested for fuel. Temperatures seem to be tied only to biome and elevation, so an enclosed space like a valley or a deep cave is just as cold as the open ice. Archery is totally non-viable due to the finite supply of feathers (you can't ever breed chickens without crops). Fishing requires a huge real estate commitment rather than being possible through a hole in the ice. So aside from collecting snow and bragging rights, the arctic seems like it's simply there to make you wish you were somewhere else.

[spolier]

I recently set out to find a better settlement. I'm sure I could have found some ore by using a sluice, but that requires wood and takes at least as long as relocating. Being on a couple of small islands in the ocean is a fun limitation where the weather is nice, but it's prohibitively difficult in the arctic. First, I made a trip to warmer lands to collect seeds and more saplings.

To the northwest I found a rather large landmass and settled in a shallow lake. I again dug myself a hole, relying on the ice to form my roof. I don't know why I didn't expect it, but even the arctic has warm summers where the ice thaws. I thought it was kind of neat to swim through my roof, and thought about calling myself Meatbob Squarepants, but then at night the temperature dropped. When the ice formed, it updated the water blocks, which then flooded my home. So this works fine in the winter but not at all in the summer.

I soon got some crops planted. This had me very excited for the future, so I planted the saplings as well. Hopefully the warm winter months can supply me with all the wheat and wood I need for the year.

I found some surface ores in quite a few places and have plans to start mining as soon as I have the pick. However, this landmass seems to have no peat so I might not be able to smelt more than one ingot with my remaining wood.

The temperature fluctuations seem to be too great for my crops. Everything planted has uprooted itself. I retain the seeds, but I don't know if they will ever have a long enough period of warm weather in order to grow fully. After a week my saplings remain ungrown.

Good news however! I have found two plum trees on the island and now have three bushes growing nicely near my snow house at the lake. These can supplement my fishing and egg collecting with food that doesn't need to be cooked. I'm surprised they grow without hesitation when a fir tree seems unable to take root.

In this expedition I'm comparing the life I'm able to live with that of real people who have settled in arctic climates. One thing is certain: the game is not meant to be played like this. There is no possibility of replacing the numbers of animals I hunt for food and hides. The bones of creatures cannot be harvested to make tools or for building structures. Driftwood does not exist. Animal fat cannot be harvested for fuel. Temperatures seem to be tied only to biome and elevation, so an enclosed space like a valley or a deep cave is just as cold as the open ice. Archery is totally non-viable due to the finite supply of feathers (you can't ever breed chickens without crops). Fishing requires a huge real estate commitment rather than being possible through a hole in the ice. So aside from collecting snow and bragging rights, the arctic seems like it's simply there to make you wish you were somewhere else.

[/spolier]

Is it really worth going to the artic. If no i think some things need to be changed about the artic. I belive dunk or Bioxx have mentioned that there will be animals in the artic, but for me that is not quite enough. Going to the artic must have a few benifits, for example maybe you yeild more ore, or ore deposits are more common. This would then give areason to go to the artic, other then to just live in a different climate. Besides all that, i think it's a great idea that youve tried to live in this way, and i think this sort of play could be implemented into the game as well, for example you go to the jungle and you live like the mayans or you go into the artic and live like the eskimos....

edit-fail of the year, with a spolier

Is it really worth going to the artic. If no i think some things need to be changed about the artic. I belive dunk or Bioxx have mentioned that there will be animals in the artic, but for me that is not quite enough. Going to the artic must have a few benifits, for example maybe you yeild more ore, or ore deposits are more common. This would then give areason to go to the artic, other then to just live in a different climate. Besides all that, i think it's a great idea that youve tried to live in this way, and i think this sort of play could be implemented into the game as well, for example you go to the jungle and you live like the mayans or you go into the artic and live like the eskimos.... edit-fail of the year, with a spolier

No. It is not worth it going to the arctic. But, that touches on the reason you continue playing the game at all. Is it worth it making a cool house? If it is then is it worth it using stone bricks and chiseled decoration? If so then it's worth it getting the longest-duration chisel you can. That means it's worth it getting to the high-tier metals. If you aren't trying to make something big and pretty or hollowing out a mountain or some other pursuit then getting better metal is the reason you get better metal.

So you set your own goals. Mine? "What's it like to live in the arctic?" That's not a question worth asking in vanilla Minecraft because it doesn't have that feature. I learned a lot from it and there are still some things I want to test out, so I'm going to keep at it.

I'm ambivilant about the crop and tree situation. It's accurate that your window of reliably warm weather isn't long enough to raise even one harvest of crops. But it sucks that this means your only reliable source of food is fish - mainly because fishing is PAINFULLY boring. Man I hate fishing.

Edit: fail of the year +1. My fail is better than yours, neener neener.

A great addition to TFC would be the addition of lobster traps. Maybe make it with a metal ingot, surrounded by wool thread. The duration of the trap decreases with each use. A better ingot = higher uses. One lobster = 5 uses? The trap would have the capability to catch lobster and would take the same amount of time to catch one as it would take to catch a fish were you continually fishing. The trap would have to be set in water > 10 blocks deep and must be accessible from all sides. A raw fish plus a water bucket would be the formula for chum or bait. This would need to be added to the trap for the trap to be activated (you get an empty bucket back). Multiple traps can be set, but will have to be checked frequently, else one breaks and the lobster are lost.

A great addition to TFC would be the addition of lobster traps. Maybe make it with a metal ingot, surrounded by wool thread. The duration of the trap decreases with each use. A better ingot = higher uses. One lobster = 5 uses? The trap would have the capability to catch lobster and would take the same amount of time to catch one as it would take to catch a fish were you continually fishing. The trap would have to be set in water > 10 blocks deep and must be accessible from all sides. A raw fish plus a water bucket would be the formula for chum or bait. This would need to be added to the trap for the trap to be activated (you get an empty bucket back). Multiple traps can be set, but will have to be checked frequently, else one breaks and the lobster are lost.

So you are also suggesting to add lobsters with that suggestion as well Im guessing? Spear fishing could be added to that, and if fish are going in the direction that has been suggested that in my opinion would be a great way to fish.

as stated in another post, squid could be redone, so that when killed would drop calamari.

I think fish traps in general would be a good idea. You would build them out of a range of different materials (depending on durability) and there would need to be different types of traps, some catch lobsters, other fish, some are more durable, but catch less fish ect. the durability could work on how you suggested, or like how axes work. IF you catch 10 lobsters but your durability is low, you would only be able to pull up the ones with enough durability, while the other one would be lost.

fishing in general right now is just a magic rod without bait. in all there are a few distinct ways of fishing: by hand, by spear, by rod, and via traps (nets, cages, etc) and cages + rods need bait, but work a bit better than hand and spear, because you need extreme patience plus a perfect aim for that (water distorts the location of the fish a bit, remember)

If fish mobs are added, an option to the pole would be to swim and stab, just like with squid. If I had my druthers I'd just grab the code for the fish and whale from More Nature, change the whale drops, and call it good. Everything that mod does is done very well, though most of it is unnecessary. Watch one of the videos where the guy fishes to see what I mean. Fishing isn't less boring I guess, but at least it interacts with the environment beyond testing to see whether it's in water.

There are two ways to add bait. One is to require it in order to get a fish. That simply makes an already boring process worse. The other way is to use bait as an amplifier (more fish with bait) so that in the process of trying to get fish you can spend some of that time on getting bait and less of it on waiting to get a bite. That is a step forward.

I always just assumed that the fishing rod used a "spinner" or something for bait. For those who don't know, it's a shiny piece of metal near the hook which spins in the current, causing a flickering light effect which attracts fish. No need for live bait. :)

Yeah I've fished with a spinner or with decoy bait I made by hand far more often than with live bait.

You know, this might be a little late, but this actually inspired me to attempt to do the same on one of my worlds. On that world, I couldn't find any base metals near the area I spawned in, but once I got past the snow line (not even kidding, it was an exact line), I quickly found some, and set up camp. I've now got a small supply of cassiterite. I plan to set up here, and go further in once I get a good base set up at my site. 

an option to the pole would be to swim and stab, just like with squid.

But TFC takes Minecraft to next-gen. So, obvoiusly, fish will always swim away from the camera/player.

*inserts Mario 64 from the 90's*

next gen....heh, right

You can fix that. Add the information to the popup that appears when you press N. People might argue that accurately telling the temperature requires technology not available to a person in the wild, but with our natural senses we are able to tell the difference between two temperatures that differ by only one or two degrees, so I wouldn't dumb down the debug info any further than removing the decimal point.

maybe it can be vague like : cold, freezing, warm, hot

maybe it can be vague like : cold, freezing, warm, hot

This wouldn't be all that useful, unless you were to add adjectives before them, such as Warm, Quite Warm, Very Warm, Hot etc.

i was tryng to say something like that, should be vague not that you press N and you see oh, now i'm 31 degrees oh my god

If it's so vague that there are only half a dozen or so words that are used to describe the temperature, that's not only useless, it's unrealistic. If you want it vague, go for 64 colors. In the spread of temperature from the arctic to the equator the temperature varies enough that the spread between the colors is greater than a human's ability to detect a temperature change.

what is the seed that you used? Could you please send it to me?

The seed I used was Shackleton.

I'd really like to make the world larger than lake ontario (what an ugly lake it is by the way- don't go swimming)

If it were up to me, the world would be 200+ kilometres from equator to pole, and a given latitude would have unique plants and animals. In this way, each game you played would be different, as you wouldn't have access to different biomes, you'd instead have to work with what you got, making each new spawn point open up an entirely new gaming experience.

If we got enough plants and animals, we might be able to do this.

Having traveled in the cold regions of TFC, I salute you!

I just wish bones could be used for tools and/or fuel.  And seals.   Cute baby seals.  What would the arctic be without cute furry baby seals?  :D

Having traveled in the cold regions of TFC, I salute you!

I just wish bones could be used for tools and/or fuel.  And seals.   Cute baby seals.  What would the arctic be without cute furry baby seals?   :D

They could be immune to all weapons but clubs!

I'd really like to make the world larger than lake ontario (what an ugly lake it is by the way- don't go swimming)

If it were up to me, the world would be 200+ kilometres from equator to pole, and a given latitude would have unique plants and animals. In this way, each game you played would be different, as you wouldn't have access to different biomes, you'd instead have to work with what you got, making each new spawn point open up an entirely new gaming experience.

If we got enough plants and animals, we might be able to do this.

----Quote End ----

Then what's stopping this change? I can't see a reason not to make the world bigger, technically. And believability wise, it could make the world much more interesting to explore. Heck, I love having different lookout posts and bases serving a select function really far away from my main. But if it's because of the lack of a bigger variety of animals, it's understandable. But, none-the-less, I think it would be a change much embraced by the community.