Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bihlbo

Arctic Expedition

52 posts in this topic

----Quote End ----

Then what's stopping this change? I can't see a reason not to make the world bigger, technically. And believability wise, it could make the world much more interesting to explore. Heck, I love having different lookout posts and bases serving a select function really far away from my main. But if it's because of the lack of a bigger variety of animals, it's understandable. But, none-the-less, I think it would be a change much embraced by the community.

TFC is run by a two man team. We only do things that we both agree on.

This was such a great idea Bihlbo.  I love challenges like this.  It reminds me of Skyblock 2(?) where you start in the winter. I started a map with the seed "Artic", gathered my starting materials and teleported to 0,150,30000 (Oops... apparently that's South) before switching over to survival mode.

I swapped the 2 stacks of rocks for 3 extra saplings and a stack of torches.  I swapped the potatoes and cabbage for some wheat.

Posted Image

I hiked (north into the artic) south into Antarctica (I got my coordinates mixed up) until I found a flat patch of land near the shore. I buried my sapling under a block of dirt with some torches hoping they would take root while I got busy building one serious igloo. I gathered snowballs. The best method was heading to the top of a hill far from my base and placing 4 blocks in a cross with an empty center for me to dump water into.  Once the water froze I could remove the dirt mold and break the ice (source) block allowing the water to flow in every direction down the hill. I collected LOTS of snowballs but it left a mess of ice cubes from the flood. I finished my igloo on April 7th and uncovered my saplings at the center. As if on cue, it began to snow but luckily my saplings were sheltered and safe.  Waiting for them to grow was maddening and I gathered pigs and prospected my surroundings in the meantime.  I was expecting to axe down a fast growing pine first, then a medium growing white cedar and then an oak. I was thrilled when the white cedar popped up (May 6) and then an Oak (June 1).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I found some sphalerite and copper but the real challenge was getting some ink for the plans.  The problem with the winter is that if you break the ice to go squid hunting it will refreeze above you.  I built a sheltered squid trap but I never got any ink from it. The weather warmed up in June July August and I regretted not bringing any seeds to try my luck at some agriculture.  Onions might have grown fast enough in the short window of above zero temperatures but who knows.  The good news was that in the shallow lake in front of my home the ice thawed and refroze such that squid would get trapped and it was like shooting fish in a barrel with my spear.

I regretted rounding up 6 gilts and a boar in my igloo. The lag from the piglets was unbearable and I had to wait for them to grow up before butchering them. After 3 or maybe only 2 litters (I don't know, it was a mess) I killed the other gilts because piglets were already pushing each other into the walls, my fps was plummeting, and I really couldn't handle anymore piglets. I don't remember what happened in the confusion but I ended up with stacks and stacks of pork and I decided to only keep two of the sows. It might have to be one if two litters ends up being nuts like last time.

Overtime I crafted a propick, pickaxe, saw, and sword before getting bored. Setting up an underground tree farm in my sphalerite mine for charcoal was taking too long and I wasn't too impressed with the fast-growing pine that had yet to make an appearance amidst all the cedars and oaks. I gathered some seeds from the summer grass and learned that at 5.5 degrees, I could plant garlic and cabbage seeds but rye seeds refused to take root.  When the frost came they all popped out of the ground. I happened upon some onion seeds but the temperature kept jumping under zero so I didn't try.  There's lots I want to do like expand my underground tree farm until I have a steady wood supply, build a bloomery, build a copper anvil, build an automatic chicken farm and a glass skylight but I think I already passed the challenging part and now I'm just watching trees grow.  If I were to do it again, I would only bring 12 saplings (no pine!), 64 sticks, and 32 logs.  Here's a picture of my igloo after a heavy snowfall.

Posted Image

Thank you for the wonderful idea Bihlbo.  I would also love a recipe for snowshoes! :-) haha