Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aridhol

ars magica and tfc

9 posts in this topic

So, a few of you may be aware of the awesome mod known as Ars Magica, by Mithion. What you may not know: He has a new config for damage multipliers for his spells.

With this in mind.. a lot of Ars Magica could be pretty easily converted into TFC-compatible form, with an addon or using custom npcs..

Some interesting potential here for those who want some magic in TFC.

I would be careful throwing around the word magic on this forum. Many people may react violently (in a verbal sense) to it. Still, if it makes you happy, than all power to you :). As for me, I never really liked ars magica all that much.

well besides the fact that the vitrium ore spawns would be all kinds of screwed up by TFC's world gen, not to mention that all the worldgen structures from Ars use vanilla blocks, which i belive we've removed entirely, added to the fact that the crafting recepies for a lot of things require vanilla items, i think the point is rather moot

magic doesnt really fit with TFC's mission statement, does it?

not to say it wouldnt be fun or anything, but i personally think that magic is a sort of gameplay cop out.

as in it doesnt actually change anything other than to give you a "woah that was cool!" for the first five times you use it, then you realize its just an add-on to make the game look fuller. just me though

magic actually does fit in with the statement, if we do it right, make it balanced, make it believable, and the magic will be great

also Roark, i can't seem to remember, is your name from something? it sounds familiar

maybe from a server or a pokemon or so :D

anyway, on the point of magic, im a great fan of the mechanic behind the Death Gate series: where there is a so-called Wave of Balance controlling magic, so the more you use magic, the more powerful your enemies would become (when translated to TFC) and vice-versa, so eventually you'd be facing tons and tons of mobs all being really powerful while you're doing your magic thing, but if you want to be peaceful, you have to avoid magic.

(now, this shouldnt be a server wide issue, or magic should be very high tier to achieve, to prevent noobs spawning and spamming magic in order to upset the Wave)

maybe from a server or a pokemon or so :D/> anyway, on the point of magic, im a great fan of the mechanic behind the Death Gate series: where there is a so-called Wave of Balance controlling magic, so the more you use magic, the more powerful your enemies would become (when translated to TFC) and vice-versa, so eventually you'd be facing tons and tons of mobs all being really powerful while you're doing your magic thing, but if you want to be peaceful, you have to avoid magic. (now, this shouldnt be a server wide issue, or magic should be very high tier to achieve, to prevent noobs spawning and spamming magic in order to upset the Wave)

It could work, although think about how hard it would be for new people on a server, to kill a skellie that has been effected by this wave thing. I think magic should only be added if it's a high end thing, and has consequences of use. This idea would stop you using magic all the time (you would probably only want to use it at the most dangerous times) would stop new players being effected by all powerful skellies (your idea killster, no offence that im taking a hit at it), and would make you think if it was really worth using it (do i really want to drop to 1 health to kill these 4 skellies?-for example).

Once again I find myself pointing toward the terrafirmacraft2 section of the forums. Lots of magi...ahem, arcane goodies in there. If anything were to be included in terrafirmacraft it would probably something similar to what was going to be added to the shelved sequel, namely something that has no direct spell casting.

there is a difference in flinging around fireballs like skyrim or casting a barrier at great expense of your own life like in the witcher 2 (for example) the mages in that series are trained for life and they can barely block arrows for a few minutes before going KO, that times 10 is what im looking for in TFC, great (balanced) power, but at an equally balanced expense, which could be transformed via the Wave.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0