Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bihlbo

Tweaking the Snow

6 posts in this topic

On my recent arctic expedition I was pleasantly surprised by the snow. It randomly accumulates in 1/8th block increments when it snows! And it slows you as you walk through it! Awesome!

However, then it thaws regardless of the temperature, and randomly. So you're left with an uneven surface of snow and bare ground everywhere. I suggest a couple of tweaks to the snow.

1. Snow doesn't melt until it's warm enough for it to melt.

2. When snow accumulation reaches 8/8, it turns into a snow block that can support weight ( you don't walk through it). This can be harvested for snowballs and turned into a snow block with which you can build stuff.

3. Something has to be done to prevent the RNG from giving us pillars of snow next to pits that never accumulated much.

a. Maybe accumulation checks nearby blocks and cannot exceed the accumulation of adjacent blocks +4/8. One bonus from this idea is that hills will look far more rounded, since snow has to then accumulate from the valleys, up. The downside is that this is undoubtedly a lot of processing.

b. Maybe cap snow accumulation to something like 2 snow blocks + 7/8. Accumulating snowfall then has to check two blocks below it to see if it's allowed to get thicker.

4. Snowshoes! Encircle leather boots with sticks in the crafting table to make them. This allows you to walk over snow accumulation as though it had more uniform thickness, and without being slowed down.

5. Thawing temperatures destroy placed snow blocks which have nothing on top of them. You don't get to have a summer igloo made of snow, but you can store snow in a cave even in the summer. I'm thinking they would get turned into snow accumulation at 7/8 thickness and then thaw out like regular snowfall does.

6. Snow blocks should probably share size/weight/stack properties with sand. So, you can store them in a chest but only in stacks of 32.

7. (This is an alternative to 5 & 6 above. Thanks to davoval0001 for inspiring this.) Snow blocks are too easy to make, and harken back to the simplicity of vanilla MC a bit too much for TFC. Snow in MC is meant to represent loose snow. When you can dig snow with a shovel, that's not hard-packed stuff. It's pretty hard to build anything but a pile with loose snow. The solution is in snowballs. Four snow balls combine to make 1 snow brick, which isn't a block at all. Combine four snow bricks (which equates to 4 snow blocks or 16 squares of accumulated snow) to make a snow bricks block. This is something you can use to build a house, and instead of looking like driven snow it looks like smaller blocks of compressed snow. You break a snow bricks like you would a wooden planks block - it takes the same amount of time and can be done faster with an axe or a saw. A snow bricks is resistant to thawing to a certain point. Maybe it has to be in thawing temperatures for more than a day to begin to melt, or it's melting point is simply higher.

Please let me know your thoughts! I numbered the points to make it easier to reference. I'll add good ideas to this list as you suggest them.

Edit: added #7 June 5th.

If the big snow blocks are supportive but all the others are not then surely you will have to jump or walk around blocks in snowy areas, or parkour between big blocks, wouldn't that make it awkward? I've never actually walked in snow in this game. The rest sounds great to me after reading your Arctic expedition post. There is already a post on what i'm about to say somewhere i'm pretty sure, but there should definitely be some desert and arctic kits, like winter coats, head-towels and snow shoes to make use of cloth and the temperature dynamic which appears to have little use so far.

If the big snow blocks are supportive but all the others are not then surely you will have to jump or walk around blocks in snowy areas, or parkour between big blocks, wouldn't that make it awkward?

You're absolutely right. My suggestion 3a above should prevent it from getting to be a problem, as the largest difference between orthogonal blocks of snow would be 1. If it were more than 1 that would be a problem.

As I suggested in 4, snowshoes would even out the thickness of snow. Ideally if what you're walking on is accumulated snow or snow blocks, your actual height would be something like an average of what's around you. You still have to jump to get up a hill, but you walk over snow blocks as if the difference were half a block or less.

Already, walking through snow is a hassle and unpleasant. Probably by design, because that's how it is in reality. Because of the uneven, random accumulation and thawing it's like walking through a forest with randomly-placed soul sand under your feet and leaves in your way. Snowshoes should make walking on snow just about like walking on regular ground.

One thing that might help is making it so snow can be made into "slabs" of a sort. When snow accumulates up to 4/8ths it still slows you down but you walk on it instead of in it. That way most of the differences between snow block levels (though not snow accumulation levels) would be a half block and therefore wouldn't require jumping.

Or, snow accumulation cannot be walked through at all. You walk on it and it slows you down. A full snow block slows you like soul sand. I didn't suggest this at first because I've noticed how easy it is to glitch through charcoal when walking across different levels of it and I wouldn't suggest something so buggy for walking on snow.

Great ideas. Snow shoes should have a durability as well though, because i can't imagine your tennis raquett shoes would be the best when used against sticks and dirt. Maybe if used on anything other then snow you should walk slower, to simulate you getting your feet stuck in twigs and the alike on the ground.

While on the topic of snow, why not make it possible to cut and craft snow bricks, so that your igloos would look alot better. Im not usre if it would have any benefits over normal snow but i believe it would look alot better.

2nd suggestion- Why not make the snow blocks (or snow brick blocks if implemented) able to be chiesled. Some great statues can be crafted out of snow chiesling, and although it wouldn't really beneift anthing it would definatly be a cool thing to be able to craft your own statues out of ice/snow instead of wood or stone.

P.s sorry for going off topic :)

Edited by davoval0001

Snow shoes are shoes. They have durability. Get hit and they lose durability. If you're suggesting I'd be willing to sacrifice leather boots for something that wears out every time I go into my house unless I open my inventory, take off the snow shoes, and put on a second pair of shoes I carry around for when I'm not on snow, then I think you're simply sacrificing one annoyance for another. Why even add snow shoes if that's the case?

Concerning your chiseled snow idea: Snow isn't hard to harvest, in real life or in MC. Really packed snow (which is not what a snow block is supposed to represent) can easily be cut with something like a stone axe. A chisel is not a harvesting tool. However, I totally agree that it would look cool. Maybe snow blocks that you craft are simply a different item than the ones in vanilla MC and they look like bricks. Better still, I don't really like how easy it is to get snow. I'm going to add an idea to the first post: point #7. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Snow shoes are shoes. They have durability. Get hit and they lose durability. If you're suggesting I'd be willing to sacrifice leather boots for something that wears out every time I go into my house unless I open my inventory, take off the snow shoes, and put on a second pair of shoes I carry around for when I'm not on snow, then I think you're simply sacrificing one annoyance for another. Why even add snow shoes if that's the case?

Concerning your chiseled snow idea: Snow isn't hard to harvest, in real life or in MC. Really packed snow (which is not what a snow block is supposed to represent) can easily be cut with something like a stone axe. A chisel is not a harvesting tool. However, I totally agree that it would look cool. Maybe snow blocks that you craft are simply a different item than the ones in vanilla MC and they look like bricks. Better still, I don't really like how easy it is to get snow. I'm going to add an idea to the first post: point #7. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

yeah i like # 7. exactly the sort of thing i was trying to put across. maybe the snow bricks would still look like snow, but would have more of a glassy look?

In regards to the snow shoes, i get what you mean by it being a nusence but i think that would actually be a good thing, as it would make people think about how to manage their inventory.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0