Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J3lacky

Growth Time in Days?

6 posts in this topic

Hay Guys,

So i started playing TerraFirma and got a pretty nice base.

Now i tried to make a Farm.

i use a 5X5 blocks great Farm and in the middle a water dot so:

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXFXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

and planted some tomatos, cobbage, maize and onions.

the days went by and after 5 days only the cobbage is now in the 3rd stage but the other one are still in the 1st growing-stage.

now i want to ask... what is the grow time from the different vegetables? can i see it somewhere?

i didnt found anything on Wiki

Here's a list of the crops in rough order for growth times.

Slow

----

Maize

Barley

Squash

Wheat

Rye

Oat

Rice

Potato

Cabbage

Garlic

Soybean

Carrot

Greenbean

Tomato

Pepper

Onion

----

Fast

Actual rate of crop growth is based on several factors. Is there sunlight on the farmland? Is it warm enough to grow crop x? Does the soil have enough nutrients of the right type? Is there enough water and rainfall? TFC uses the answers to all those questions to determine if and how much a crop should grow... or for that matter if a crop should die.

Sunlight, water, and temp are effectively yes/no situations. No sunlight, no crops. No water, no crops. Temp can be a little tricky if you're right on the border of where your crop type can grow, but generally if you're seeing snow in the early game it's probably going to be too cold to grow much. if you're not sure, experiment... plant seeds, wait overnight when temps drop, check your fields in the morning... if temps in your area are too low, the seeds will be sitting as an item on the ground instead of planted.

Once you make a metal hoe, you can check nutrient levels. Wiki has details on this step and it's likely to be part of your issue. Keep in mind that freshly moved or excavated soil starts at zero nutrients. So if you placed blocks or removed blocks to setup your 5x5 farmland, it will take some time for the nutrient levels to recover.

I'm curious as to why you chose the letter 'F' to represent the water block in the middle of the field.

EDIT: And note that water will hydrate soil up to 4 blocks away, so you can put a 9x9 field around each water block.

Here's a list of the crops in rough order for growth times.

Slow

----

Maize

Barley

Squash

Wheat

Rye

Oat

Rice

Potato

Cabbage

Garlic

Soybean

Carrot

Greenbean

Tomato

Pepper

Onion

----

Fast

Actual rate of crop growth is based on several factors. Is there sunlight on the farmland? Is it warm enough to grow crop x? Does the soil have enough nutrients of the right type? Is there enough water and rainfall? TFC uses the answers to all those questions to determine if and how much a crop should grow... or for that matter if a crop should die.

Sunlight, water, and temp are effectively yes/no situations. No sunlight, no crops. No water, no crops. Temp can be a little tricky if you're right on the border of where your crop type can grow, but generally if you're seeing snow in the early game it's probably going to be too cold to grow much. if you're not sure, experiment... plant seeds, wait overnight when temps drop, check your fields in the morning... if temps in your area are too low, the seeds will be sitting as an item on the ground instead of planted.

Once you make a metal hoe, you can check nutrient levels. Wiki has details on this step and it's likely to be part of your issue. Keep in mind that freshly moved or excavated soil starts at zero nutrients. So if you placed blocks or removed blocks to setup your 5x5 farmland, it will take some time for the nutrient levels to recover.

so sunlight and water is no problem... but it means that crops wont grow at night? even with torches right?

the temperature in this biome is 18-27°C...

rain is also needed for crops? thats impressive realistic o.o

what does the number mean btw... when i hit f3 it says rain:2000 and when its raining it says rain:8000 menas that 80% possibility?

the blocks werent moved i judt right-clicked them with a stone hoe.

thanks for the list.... but it would be great to see what temperature and nutrients each crops need.

I'm curious as to why you chose the letter 'F' to represent the water block in the middle of the field.

EDIT: And note that water will hydrate soil up to 4 blocks away, so you can put a 9x9 field around each water block.

ahh okay thanks... the reason why i used F for water is the size of the letter

it has the same size as the X so all stays in a row and its not confusing...

i feel better with it ;D

so sunlight and water is no problem... but it means that crops wont grow at night? even with torches right?

the temperature in this biome is 18-27°C...

rain is also needed for crops? thats impressive realistic o.o

what does the number mean btw... when i hit f3 it says rain:2000 and when its raining it says rain:8000 menas that 80% possibility?

the blocks werent moved i judt right-clicked them with a stone hoe.

thanks for the list.... but it would be great to see what temperature and nutrients each crops need.

I don't think the rainfall indicator directly translates into % chance of rain. It seems more like a scale to me. Rainfall indicator goes from very low (62.5) to rains all the damn time (8000). Also impacts other things like grass growth and trees. Find an area with 62.5 rating and really look around; grass will be patchy browns and grays, tree leaves will be burnt brown looking. Very, very noticeable if you're standing on the border between a high and low rainfall area. Lots of green vs lots of bleh.

As I understand it, rain is needed... but I'm not sure if it's actual in game rain or just being in a region with a high enough rain indicator on debug screen. The two go hand in hand tho. I typically look for areas with 2000 rainfall ratings. Crops grow well and I'm rarely trapped indoors waiting for storms to pass. 4000 and 8000 are manageable, but in my experience you'll be stuck inside periodically since rain leaves the mobs alive while the sun is up.

Also, in 8000 I've had my house burned down by lightning strikes but I think that could happen anywhere if you're unlucky =)

As to the list, the wiki has a breakdown of crops by nutrient type. Here's a link: http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Agriculture You'll want the column called "Cycle Type" that shows if it's red, orange or yellow. In game it looks more like Red, Dark Red, Light Red. I don't think the temperature stats are posted, but experiment and see what you can find.

rain doesn't affect it, but temperature and hydration does. crops should take upwards of 20 days, but we don't release the actual numbers.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0