Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Srgnoodles

Hafts and Bones

12 posts in this topic

alrighty, so yeah, stick =/= handle

tools should require a proper grip and handle to work properly, you don't just slap your perfectly new forged sword blade onto the end of some random stick you got off a tree.

also, different tiers of handles/rods should increase the durability of the tool/weeapon, to show reinforcement of that tool.

these handles would require properly shaped wooden rods, with a leather or adiquate substitute for the grip, and possibly metal reinforcing on the handle to make it stronger

this also leads into smothing i was thinking for tool breaking, instead of just poofing into nothingness, when a tool breaks, it should give you either a broken tool head, or shards of whatever the tool was made of, as well as a broken rod for the tool. reparing the tool head would require melting the shards together in a forge, adn then re-sharpening the edge of the tool, the rod however would, depending on the tier of the rod, either need to be replaced or repaired using metal reinforcement plates.

This sounds like a good idea. And maybe each tool would be worth a portion of what it is really worth, as in maybe 1 ore less metal than what you normally get for ore, that way you don't just have an infinite supply of metal, because you would loose some metal through wear and tear. 

I see this being a real good addition, and I'm guessing it can be used on the low tier rock tools, but would it be required on metal tools?

I see this being a real good addition, and I'm guessing it can be used on the low tier rock tools, but would it be required on metal tools?

actually it's the other way around, stone tools would only need to be lashed to a stick, whereas proper metal tools would need real handles and rods

I think that tools should be-able to use Sticks, Bones and Hafts as Handles. Sticks would be the lowest tier, sticks would lower the durability of the tool from its base but so would bones. Hafts would have the maximum durability that tool can have. I think that this would be kind of cool to have multiple versions of handles as well as a new use for Leather (Of course hafts would require leather).

Whats everyone think?

*topics merged*

Anyways, bones used to be able to be used as handles for stone tools, however that feature was removed and Bioxx deemed it an unnecessary use of item IDs.

This is a great idea, definitely more streamlined and definite than mine, but yeah, it should have been posted in the existing topic

but otherwise i love it

I was about to make a whittling post, with a knapping-type wood-shaping. You'd need at least some skill to make a tool shaft for your things, straight shafts for your picks, axes, maces, and such, curved ones for tools like scythes or Adzes, and a proper sword grip for your blades

it's a bit silly to make several different ID's for one item, but the idea of having to refine a handle for your tools is a nice idea, maybe make a few different handles, a cheap bundle of sticks, a crude handle, a good handle, an exquisite handle etc. and some metals require specific levels of handles, stone tools can be fit onto bundles, bronze/copper can have crude handles, iron/steel have good, bluesteel/redsteel need exquisite, it's be a small addition and a slightly better use for the sheer mass of sticks one can accumulate tree farming.

I'm not saying that we need handles to be seperate teired things, i'm just saying that we need to have to make legittimate handles for all tools instead of just slapping the tool head on a stick

I'm not saying that we need handles to be seperate teired things, i'm just saying that we need to have to make legittimate handles for all tools instead of just slapping the tool head on a stick

I understand what you mean, but having tiered handle actually makes sence. I think it should be harder then it currently is just to make stone tools. As i have stated before, i think we should start off just hand stones/hand tools and then progress to tools with handles. I think tools in general need to be reworked though, and i think that this would be a good point to be worked in as well. As i only just stated before, ive never had a bung tool head, it's always the handle that breaks on me. If anything ever does go wrong with a tool head, they only think that happens is that it get a bit chipped, which goes into your original post anyway. Having it that you need to smooth a handle is also great, as on any stick, or branch that you just pick up, will always have some sort of hinderance towards you holding it. Regarding attaching the handle to the actual head, there are many ways that this can be done. Tools can be lashed, wedged, or the handle can be jammed into the tool head. Is there any particular ways that you were thinking of?

Just something I feel should be stressed, for those who keep wanting tiered tool handles:

Anyways, bones used to be able to be used as handles for stone tools, however that feature was removed and Bioxx deemed it an unnecessary use of item IDs.

... and Bioxx deemed it an unnecessary use of item IDs.

deemed it an unnecessary use of

deemed it unnecessary

Yeah... Honestly, I'm with Noodles, in that there is really no reason to have real tiers of handles other then sticks for stone and hafts for metal, even if it does make sense or is cool. Primarily for the above stated reason.