Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Gotheran

Liquid troughs, and general liquid automation.

15 posts in this topic

Howdy, I've been playing TFC for a while now, and a thought only recently popped in my head and I thought it would be a good addition to TFC.

I love the smithing system but even late in game it still feels very slow and painfully repetitive, so I was wondering if we could add a small amount of automation to making ingots en masse. Basically make stone troughs you could hook up to a forge or bloomery to make the liquid metal flow out into world placed rough ingot moulds, giving the player an unshaped metal ingot after it cools. And I also felt that repeatedly filling a barrel to cool down maybe 2 ingots if I'm lucky that maybe a wooden trough could be added to pull water from a barrel into a cooling trough which the player could more quickly and efficiently cool hot ingots with, and maybe to keep things in a semi automated state you could place barrels outside and they slowly collect rainwater during stormy weather, maybe like a bucket every minute of rain.

Howdy, I've been playing TFC for a while now, and a thought only recently popped in my head and I thought it would be a good addition to TFC.

I love the smithing system but even late in game it still feels very slow and painfully repetitive, so I was wondering if we could add a small amount of automation to making ingots en masse. Basically make stone troughs you could hook up to a forge or bloomery to make the liquid metal flow out into world placed rough ingot moulds, giving the player an unshaped metal ingot after it cools. And I also felt that repeatedly filling a barrel to cool down maybe 2 ingots if I'm lucky that maybe a wooden trough could be added to pull water from a barrel into a cooling trough which the player could more quickly and efficiently cool hot ingots with, and maybe to keep things in a semi automated state you could place barrels outside and they slowly collect rainwater during stormy weather, maybe like a bucket every minute of rain.

Greetings, Gotheran-san - I am Sda209.

Now, most sections of this suggestion you have made have been debated furiously over the past months. Automation I believe has been ruled out from becoming a game feature, for reasons I have unfortunately forgotten. On the topic of using stone troughs what support would you use to allow them into a downward angle to let the molten metal fill into the ingot molds? What about creating said ingot molds themselves? I believe that you could've put much more thought and detail into modifying the bloomery and forge to fit these requirements to allow small automation of the creation of ingots.

Using water-filled barrels has been also furiously debated, as I have mentioned before. Now, using wooden troughs as a make-shift pipe line to allow the water from the barrel transfer into cooling troughs as a much more efficient and quicker means of cooling metal ingots? Interesting, but I fail to see that this would be very much believable, and you never addressed what would the material of said cooling troughs could be made of.

Collecting rainwater via wooden barrels as a form of semi-automation seems to make water collection even more difficult, less that your region has a high humidity content. I find it would be much more simpler to gather the life-giving compound from the local rivers.

I apologize if I made a mistake or more or did not address anything that was supposedly mentioned in your post. I am fairly certain that other users who would read your suggestion would better explain (or rather, translate) the problems I have written as a means of criticism.

I once again apologize if my choice of words has not been properly perceived by any person reading this reply to this suggestion post.

Also, one last thing before I sign off,

Welcome to the TerraFirmaCraft Forums, Gotheran-san!

-Sda209

Cooling ingots in water is believable, because it is what happens in real life, "Blacksmiths" today and in ancient times did not hold the ingot in their hands until it cooled down.  And the cooling troughs could be made of any material, it just holds water.

@Sda209 Umm, well stone troughs would likely sit on the ground, being little more than large hunks of stone with a pathway for liquid cut out of them. And the cooling trough for more efficient ingot cooling I guess could be wood, since most of what I can find on the subject makes it seem like it's all wood except what the molten metal goes through. I don't really want full on automation, but late game it is a pain to still have to do things more or less ingot by ingot, so I just feel like being able to let your metal melt down and flow into waiting moulds while you mow your lawn or tend your crops would help take away from the next to 110% effort you need to give any one aspect of TFC.

I love TFC but sometimes the very slow pace, even later in the game when you're donning Red Steel, it gets to me, and I just wish there were a slightly more indepth way to deal with casting ingots that doesn't necessarily need your full attention.

Cooling ingots in water is believable, because it is what happens in real life, "Blacksmiths" today and in ancient times did not hold the ingot in their hands until it cooled down.  And the cooling troughs could be made of any material, it just holds water.

Excerpt from my Reply in Layman's Terms:

A cooling trough that cools ingots more efficiently and quickly than a barrel does not seem to be believable in my opinion.

@Sda209 Umm, well stone troughs would likely sit on the ground, being little more than large hunks of stone with a pathway for liquid cut out of them. And the cooling trough for more efficient ingot cooling I guess could be wood, since most of what I can find on the subject makes it seem like it's all wood except what the molten metal goes through. I don't really want full on automation, but late game it is a pain to still have to do things more or less ingot by ingot, so I just feel like being able to let your metal melt down and flow into waiting moulds while you mow your lawn or tend your crops would help take away from the next to 110% effort you need to give any one aspect of TFC.

I love TFC but sometimes the very slow pace, even later in the game when you're donning Red Steel, it gets to me, and I just wish there were a slightly more indepth way to deal with casting ingots that doesn't necessarily need your full attention.

How would you transport the aforementioned stone troughs, then? They cannot be permanently be fixated next to the bloomer/forge, as their locations would bar your movement around your forge.

Metallurgy mechanics, if I am not mistaken, might/will get an overhaul in a future update. But casting I don't think will be implemented into Terra Firma Craft (may someone better educated in confirmed features answer this question, please?).

Casting has been confirmed for starter tier metal tools for build 77. Metallurgy as a whole is being mostly reworked with the addition of the pottery age. Pit kilns and the like.

Casting has been confirmed for starter tier metal tools for build 77. Metallurgy as a whole is being mostly reworked with the addition of the pottery age. Pit kilns and the like.

Thank you, Kittychanley-san.

Casting tools isn't quite what I was thinking. More like general all tier ingot casting. And maybe not more efficiently but maybe the cooling trough could be like right clicked with a heated ingot or simply have the ingot dropped in it and it could draw fresh water from barrels hooked up via water troughs, which in my opinion is more efficient since you don't have to waste time refilling one or two barrels full only to empty them with roughly 2 ingots a piece.

And the stone troughs would be relatively late game implementation so you'd ideally move your forge and make it more spacious to accommodate the new innovations, not to mention that they should in no way be permanent, maybe retrievable with a pickaxe, or at least breakable if they have to be made literally chiseling stone.

troughs with molten metal flowing down them...? Have you been hacking into our secret notes?

lol, no. It just seems like a logical stone/early metal age kind of technology, I figured it fit well and would ease the process of individually processing bars, I really dun like making my first copper anvil on the camp fire ._.

I also have a wee bit of a beef with ore generation, but that's a complaint for another post :P

lol, no. It just seems like a logical stone/early metal age kind of technology, I figured it fit well and would ease the process of individually processing bars, I really dun like making my first copper anvil on the camp fire ._.

I also have a wee bit of a beef with ore generation, but that's a complaint for another post :P

Hello,

Yes! I've traveled MILES, picking up every rock I can find, and still haven't gotten enough start ore to make my first metal tools! I have enough copper to fill a mountain, though! Any pro-tips for getting starter metal? Peat/logs don't seem to be very effective campire fuel to melt the copper into molds, either....

Cheers,

Michael

Hello,

Yes! I've traveled MILES, picking up every rock I can find, and still haven't gotten enough start ore to make my first metal tools! I have enough copper to fill a mountain, though! Any pro-tips for getting starter metal? Peat/logs don't seem to be very effective campire fuel to melt the copper into molds, either....

Cheers,

Michael

Try using a sluice in an area that you have already gotten ores from rocks.

Copper can only be melted into a mold in a firepit when Hickory logs are used as fuel, and you have a bellows blowing on the flame. Otherwise, you need a bloomery.

I thought I read something about automation being neglected (although it would be awesome) as to keep things small scale. That said, I would love to use animal power or water wheels or and form of power for automation.

Try using a sluice in an area that you have already gotten ores from rocks.

Copper can only be melted into a mold in a firepit when Hickory logs are used as fuel, and you have a bellows blowing on the flame. Otherwise, you need a bloomery.

Maple can also burn hot enough with the addition of a bellows, but only just and you need to keep punching the bellows.