Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
taro8

Some kind of long term goal when playing TFC?

27 posts in this topic

Random rambling bellow. I have been thinking about what you really want to do in TFC in the long term. The basic is to survive, but what then? You have steel armor and weapons what is left for you? What I would like to see is so TFC is compatible with Better Dungeons mod. This would mean that you now would have a goal in mind: to conquer and destroy sprawling dungeons and so on. Think about it like about an RPG: you are the hero that enters the castle of darkens and slays monsters. TFC would be a big preparation period. I dont think there would anything more rewarding then raiding the keep in a steel armor you forged yourself after many hours of labor to get to that stage. Something to provide closure to TFC experience, something that would give you a "final" test. Note Im simply talking about compatibility with a mod that changes terrain generation with I understand may be a huge problem or even impossible. My other idea is some kind of TFC community built Castlevania style castle. Built in creative mode with traps monsters and so on. Because, well what is the point of building a castle that you will raid yourself? Why not it a group work.

honestly, if you need some sort of incentive or goal to drag you through a game, minecraft is not the game for you.

the whole point of minecraft is the lack of overall goal, the fact that you litteraly can do whatever you want with this wide open world,

if you want to raid dungeons and such, i would definitely suggest the Super Hostile series of CTM maps by Vechs, but remember they are for vanilla, and everything would probably explode if you played them with TFC.

Random rambling bellow.

I have been thinking about what you really want to do in TFC in the long term. The basic is to survive, but what then? You have steel armor and weapons what is left for you?

What I would like to see is so TFC is compatible with Better Dungeons mod. This would mean that you now would have a goal in mind: to conquer and destroy sprawling dungeons and so on.

Think about it like about an RPG: you are the hero that enters the castle of darkens and slays monsters. TFC would be a big preparation period. I dont think there would anything more rewarding then raiding the keep in a steel armor you forged yourself after many hours of labor to get to that stage. Something to provide closure to TFC experience, something that would give you a "final" test.

Note Im simply talking about compatibility with a mod that changes terrain generation with I understand may be a huge problem or even impossible.

My other idea is some kind of TFC community built Castlevania style castle. Built in creative mode with traps monsters and so on. Because, well what is the point of building a castle that you will raid yourself? Why not it a group work.

Greetings Taro8-san - I am Sda209,

On the topic of your discussion, that will not happen, I'm afraid. Minecraft is obviously NOT a Role-Playing Game, and a Castlevania-style fortress will simply not work, since the aim of Terra Firma Craft is reinventing the Survival Aspect of Minecraft, and that most of the redstone components required for the intricate wiring cannot be created with TFC blocks.

There is no in-game goal in this modification overhaul; you have to make the goals for yourself. Why not construct a massive dwarven fortress underground with picks and shovels and chisels? Or, build a mighty wall with torches to keep the hostiles away? Heck, why not explore the world and map out points of interest  as you journey Lewis-and-Clark style?

I hope you will understand what Srgnoodles-sama and I are attempting to say. Also,

Welcome to the Terra Firma Craft Forums!

-Sda209

Disregard That, I Suck Cocks :P

I just wrote that rambling for reasons I dont understand myself.

Now that I think about it: if I want a challenge I can just play on Hardcore.

BTW:Does the stronghold still spawn in TFC?

Disregard That, I Suck Cocks :PI just wrote that rambling for reasons I dont understand myself.Now that I think about it: if I want a challenge I can just play on Hardcore.BTW:Does the stronghold still spawn in TFC?

I'm not sure if I should give you a warning for that.

TFC does not have any vanilla structures other than ravines

i don't think one shouldn't give himself some achievement, i give me some acheivements every time; like building  lighthouse, a dock, a boat, a castle, a farm of all the crops and a farm of all the passive mobs

building  lighthouse, a dock, a boat, a castle, a farm of all the crops and a farm of all the passive mobs

On Hardcore mode. Now there is an achievement, mess up and you will loose EVERYTHING.

Thank you gentlemen! I was blind, but you have shown me the light!

Hello,

OP, might I also suggest playing without beds or permanent residence? I decided to stop using them, a lot of the fun is taken out of the game when you can just go to sleep when it gets dark, or run and hide in a fortified house.

My first day:

Day 1: Woke up on a beach (convienently), didn't know where I was, or who I was for a moment. Then I remembered, I was a viking explorer! I had set sail with my comrades searching for new lands to settle when our ship was capsized in a white squall. I was wet and cold. My stomach growled and I wished I was in my Jarl's mead hall with a full tankard and a plump woman on my lap!

*Ahem* Back to the matter at hand; I needed shelter and fire. I needed to be close to the beach in the off chance any of my comrades washed up after me. So I began to search the area where I washed up for a place to rest my head. Along the way I came across a piece of stone that was roughly axe shaped, it just needed some work done to make a decent axe head. About a quarter mile down the beach I came across an elevated overhang, if I managed to climb up ((using smart moving)) I could nestle in a recess that was about my length in height and width, and about twice my size in depth; the stone seemed relatively smooth as well.

Picking up a hefty fist sized stone I climbed up into the nook and sat with my legs dangling over the ledge while I worked the axe shaped stone into a proper axe head. After about an hour I was finished and set off towards a tree capped hill. The only other trees were far off in the distance, but I could tell this was a resource rich, fertile land. Standing there, I decided to call it "Vinland".

With my axe head in hand I began hacking branches off of the tree. I piled dead leaves and twigs atop the pile of branches and use them as a sled to transport the more lose debris I would need to get a fire going.

It took me about two hours to return to my camp, as I came across further stones and even a tomato plant. The sun was two hands above the ocean's horizon, I needed to hurry if I was going to get a warm nights rest. I used my axe to split a branch and carved an indent down it's length with which I would use another stick and an old bird's nest to light the fire. After I had gotten the fire going I sat on the ledge working a strong branch into an axe handle, when it was of a satisfactory shape, I blackened it over the fire carefully, all the while it seemed as if I was being watched. Something lurking outside of my den and the reach of my fire's light. Like glowing eyes peering at me, then suddenly vanishing and reappearing elsewhere. I also heard the strangest groans in the night, as if someone was anguishing in the night. I would not be fooled, though. No Nykr water spirit would claim me this night!

Exhaustion crept over me suddely when I finished my axe project so I lay down upon my bed of leaves for the night.

There is not "end" to TFC as you could see ont in vanilla, but after you achieved blue/red steel, it's only a question of building stuff. I think it's more fun in TFC as you have more kind of stone type and variations, and many wood color. With chiselling and plank placing, for me one of the part I like the most about TFC is building cool and detailed building, even if I am not that good at it.

taro8, I have to admit to struggling with the same questions. I often will start a project, work hard on it until it's done, then wonder why I bothered. Minecraft is more of a toy than a game - you can do things with it, but why you do the things and what things you do are up to you. It's kind of difficult sometimes to admit we're playing with toys when we load up Minecraft, but that's what we're doing. You can't win at playing with blocks in a sandbox, but you might do cool, fun things with it anyway (especially if your friends want to join you). And when you're done playing with a toy and want to do something else, that's okay too.

My dream would to play multiplier with tons of people, make to cites and just fight each other just for the fun of it. stealing,spying, building, making economies, fighting...etc but you see the game is still in beta you have to take that into consideration.  so its not that close to being done. there's still a lot to wait for :D  and yes single player gets boring very quickly,  and its hard to find good TFC servers too but I found one and I'm happy:)  but like srgnoodles said there is no goal YOU make your OWN goal.  sometimes you just gotta pretend lol

My dream would to play multiplier with tons of people, make to cites and just fight each other just for the fun of it. stealing,spying, building, making economies, fighting...etc but you see the game is still in beta you have to take that into consideration.  so its not that close to being done. there's still a lot to wait for :D  and yes single player gets boring very quickly,  and its hard to find good TFC servers too but I found one and I'm happy:)  but like srgnoodles said there is no goal YOU make your OWN goal.  sometimes you just gotta pretend lol

mmhm, i love setting my own challanges. like, i never consume rotten flesh, spider eyes, or raw meat, if i take fall damage, i have to sneak for the next while, depending on how bad it was. most of the time, everyhting has seperate buildings or structures, like a blacksmith shop for my forge and anvils, and a farmhouse near my crops, and such.

Hmmm... I wonder if there any "horror" mods for MC that re compatible with TFC. I mean something that makes you FEAR the dark and something that could get you even in the bed :o. Hehe, imagine eyes staring at you out from the darkness, through your window and being all creepy and stuff :P. Also some random noises like something smacking at your house walls and doors. If you are in complete darkness you would hear some creepy noises and growls and then you would start taking massive damage from the monster in the darkness.

If you make nights dangerous AND creepy they will stop being annoying and surviving will be the challenge and goal itself.

/rambling

BTW: Is there any seasons mod compatible with TFC?

Hmmm... I wonder if there any "horror" mods for MC that re compatible with TFC. I mean something that makes you FEAR the dark and something that could get you even in the bed :o. Hehe, imagine eyes staring at you out from the darkness, through your window and being all creepy and stuff :P. Also some random noises like something smacking at your house walls and doors. If you are in complete darkness you would hear some creepy noises and growls and then you would start taking massive damage from the monster in the darkness.

If you make nights dangerous AND creepy they will stop being annoying and surviving will be the challenge and goal itself.

/rambling

BTW: Is there any seasons mod compatible with TFC?

well, it's not compatable with TFC, or anything else for that matter, but Better than Wolves is a great mod, and especially now with their new update darkness is definitely not something to scoff att.

You know what would creep the crap out of me? If mobs could destroy blocks to get to you. Not right away of course, but same as zombies do with the doors.

Combine this with some sort of zombie invasion events, like one night in the month that is extra long, where they will just keep coming. Imagine you sitting in some hastily made shelter and hearing the horde clawing at the wall of your house, slowly destroying walls to get to you. Oh and there would be no easy escape from this as you would not be allowed to use the bed during the "Night of the Living Dead" :D .

Being a fan of Neanderthals, Arctic survival, and the stone age, my long term goal is to make a cool long house, with furs and curved walls, with statues out front, and rooms with barrels full of booze and fish. Maybe a nearby cave with paintings, fishing nets drying outside on racks, and long boats on the shore for long distant travel.  I want mobs replaced with realistic, if sometimes dangerous, animals - like whales, bears, sea gulls, and so on.  To me it isn't a weapons' race.  I want to weave baskets, design fish traps, and set up snare traps for small animals.  :D

Yeah, imagine WHALES beating down your house doors :P.

BTW: I think that TFC should limit the number of big animals like cows or pigs and replace them with smaller ones like rabbits, ducks, etc. So its harder to gather lots and lots of meat.

Yeah, imagine WHALES beating down your house doors :P.

-working on your house-

-suddenly a large shadow appears over your house-

-looks up-

"oh shi...."

Ocean bioms are bull, they need to be worked on!Even in vanilla, best you can get out of them is an undersea stronghold.

Hunting for squid has a nice feeling, though.

On Hardcore mode. Now there is an achievement, mess up and you will loose EVERYTHING.

Thank you gentlemen! I was blind, but you have shown me the light!

i have shown you the light? wow

Ok guys I did some digging around the tubes and heres what I came up with:

Gammabright - this mod allows you to customize the gamma brightness of the shadows. At -100 shadows become nicely dark and nights are pitch black. This creates great atmosphere.

Dynamic Lights - this makes lighting dynamic so if you walk around with torch in your hand you have some light. This mod goes along VERY well with the Gammabright mod.

Zombie Awareness - with this mod the zombies, skeletons, and creepers WILL find you if you get hit (you leave blood), make a lot of noise etc. It includes improved pathfinding. All in all it makes zombies more dangerous.

Mob Spawn Control - this mod allows you to customize spawning rates of pretty much all creatures. This way you can make cows, pigs etc. rare while upping the number of zombies spawned. You can also disable certain mobs altogether. Also it allows you to customize spawn rates by biome.

I was pretty careful with my mod choice so everything is pretty compatible with TFC and none of the mods add any new recipes.

I know you're looking for something to actually add into your game as opposed to making your own goal, and you seem to have found what you're looking for. But if you're looking for another longer-term goal to work on in the background of that here's one I think is quite good:

Imagine for a moment that your character is one of two, a male and female. You start your base and you stick up a sign saying population: 2. Every time you build a new dwelling increase the population by a small random number(some dwellings would be occupied by just one person, some may have entire families). Be sure that there are enough amenities and workplaces for each home.

It's less intensive and more relaxed than some of the city challenges you'll find because the population numbers don't have to make too much sense. The point is to make an aesthetically pleasing town that looks like it could support an actual working population, with some of the amenities required to sustain it.

I don't know if it's really on-track with what you were asking but I figured there'd be no harm in suggesting it.

Ok guys I did some digging around the tubes and heres what I came up with: Gammabright - this mod allows you to customize the gamma brightness of the shadows. At -100 shadows become nicely dark and nights are pitch black. This creates great atmosphere. Dynamic Lights - this makes lighting dynamic so if you walk around with torch in your hand you have some light. This mod goes along VERY well with the Gammabright mod. Zombie Awareness - with this mod the zombies WILL find you if you get hit (you leave blood), make a lot of noise etc. It includes improved pathfinding. All in all it makes zombies more dangerous. Mob Spawn Control - this mod allows you to customize spawning rates of pretty much all creatures. This way you can make cows, pigs etc. rare while upping the number of zombies spawned. You can also disable certain mobs altogether. Also it allows you to customize spawn rates by biome.  I was pretty careful with my mod choice so everything is pretty compatible with TFC and none of the mods add any new recipes.

The Gammabright Modification does not need to be required. You can instead input the numerals "-0.5" into the game configuration file in your .minecraft folder next to the text "gamma:".

I didnt know that. Still its nice to be able to dynamically adjust gamma in the game.

Any more suggestions for small mods like I listed above?

A note on Zombie Awareness:

This modification currently affects zombies, skeletons, and creepers.

Simple information to make an addition to, since I had experience with the modification in TFC for quite a while.