Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Nunzio

Uranium

18 posts in this topic

I would like Pitchblende to have a use because it is Uranium ore and you know, uranium is a metal.

My first idea about uranium is that you can work it at Orange*-Yellow** and weld it at Yellow***-White****.

To smelt uranium, it need to be at Brilliant White. It also gives you lead. It can't be smelted in a fire pit. You need a Steel anvil to work unshaped uranium to an ingot and to weld 2 uranium ingots to a uranium double ingot. You need a uranium anvil to make the tools. The following tools you can make are :

Pickaxe, Axe, Shovel, Mace, Hoe, Sword, Chisel, Hammer, Helmet, Chest plate, Leggings, Boots, and Prospector's Pick. My second idea is that you can craft a nuke by using gunpowder and uranium double ingots in a TNT pattern in a crafting table

UGU

GUG

UGU

G=Gunpowder and U=Uranium Double Ingots

you need 4 Powder kegs to activate the nuke . When you do it you better run for your lives. It have a 1 min timer before it blows. It makes a crater that goes down to Y-60 so it is a good way to find Iron. It have a explosion radius of 100 blocks. My last idea is that you need Steel armor or higher to handle it because uranium is radioactive and when you handle it with anything with wrought iron armor or lower you get hurt by radioactivity. I would like it to be added in TFC TFC Build 77.

Pitchblende already is an ore available in TFC, although it currently has no use. It spawns in Granite rock. http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Pitchblende

However, your suggestion creates quite a large technological leap. Jumping from basic steel tools all the way up to nukes isn't very believable. Powder kegs are already currently being implemented (gunpowder filled barrels), so if you want explosive mining for now that will have to do.

That's fine. How about uranium is a tier 4 metal an you need tier 4 armor or higher to handle it and you need a Wrought Iron anvil to work the unshaped uranium to an ingot and a uranium anvil to work an uranium ingot into any tool.

kaay, first thing, why the heck would anyone make tools out of uranium? like seriously

and Nukes....that's not how they work, it actually takes a tonne of advanced technological gubbins to actually set off a nuclear explosion

plus, uranium would really have no practical uses.

Not to mention you would get radiation poison just from being around it, let alone setting off a nuke. The only way top tier armor could protect you is if you lined it with lead, and then you would be so heavy you really wouldn't be able to move without super strength.

Plus the melting point of uranium is 200 degrees Celsius higher than the melting point of steel, so forges would need to go up to something even higher than brilliant white, which really wouldn't be believable without having to make some sort of massive super-forge.

For the Love of Mike I'm going to have to say I agree with the previous responses in reference to nukes. BAD IDEA PERIOD However, I do agree that pitchblende as well as other resources should have uses pre-industrial societies used uranium as a glass colorant. Also, pitchblende contains some lead and thorium as well as a small amount of radium. Lead I believe should be given a post all it's own. Thorium has used in the mantles for portable gas lamps and is used as an oxide in heat-resistant ceramics (without getting to technological those are the main uses). Radium was once used in luminescent paint for clocks, so a possible use could be in a recipe for minecraft clocks or if paint is ever added it could be used for a glow-in-the-dark paint. Radium does have a drawback as it is about three million times more radioactive than uranium and can cause some adverse health effects (i.e. radiation poisoning, cancer, death, etc.).

I know that was a bit long (and hopefully informative). You're basic idea of a use for pitchblende is on the money but a bit (LOT) more believability should be taken into account. Also, you're timeline for implementation is absolutely absurd, with all the work being done for build 77 (and the website), expecting any new feature, especially one such as this, by Hotfix 21 is completely unreasonable. (Dear FSM I hope for build 77 before that!)

Anywho good luck with some more believable suggestions.

Cheers.

I knew this was bad just looking at it. no offense, its cool, but its just to drastic and unbelievable.  refining uranium ore is very hard. maybe for a vanilla ;)  mod buddy.

nukes doesn't blow up anything... they only releases a radioactive "aura"... other than this very bad idea

nukes doesn't blow up anything... they only releases a radioactive "aura"... other than this very bad idea

uhm... what? Since when? Atomic bombs are the most powerful explosive known to man. They level enormous swaths of land in an instant.

Uranium tools would actually be incredibly useful. It has a multitude of properties that would make for extremely effective tools. It's one of the strongest, hardest metals known, and when it does break, it does so in such a way to sharpen itself instead of dulling. It's also not nearly as radioactive as everyone thinks, having an extremely long half-life.

The key disadvantage is that you can't smelt uranium with heat. You have to use chemical extraction, which itself makes it nearly impossible to get with pre-industrial tech. It's also pretty toxic, and while that normally wouldn't be too much of a problem since metal tends to stay together and is especially difficult to aerosolize or boil on its own, uranium is pyrophoric, reacting with the air and literally smoldering (even bursting into flame in the presence of water or aqueous materials) and releasing uranium-filled molecules into the air, not to mention it decays into radon gas.

Overall, while having a flaming sword that never gets dull and is strong, hard, and sharp enough to cut through just about anything would be totally awesome, I don't think it's right for this mod.

uhm... what? Since when? Atomic bombs are the most powerful explosive known to man. They level enormous swaths of land in an instant.

hiroshima or nagasaki weren't blowed up -.-'''

... Really? It's very peculiar Hiroshima didn't blow up, since a pilot dropped a bomb on it that created an explosion equivalent to what 16.000 *tons* of TNT would cause. I call that "blown up".

To quote Wikipedia, of course: "The radius of total destruction was about one mile (1.6 km), with resulting fires across 4.4 square miles (11 km2).[85] Americans estimated that 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of the city were destroyed. Japanese officials determined that 69% of Hiroshima's buildings were destroyed and another 6–7% damaged.[86] "

Atomic bombs release radio-active *radiation*, you're correct on that. They do this, however, in an explosive manner. Wikipedia also has a very clear entry on what explosions actually are.

ok, but other than the glass nothing breaked... wikipedia isn't ever true... when the bomb exploded it didn't create a crater... but now stop, you are right, but nukes aren't in the terrafirmacraft theme

ok, but other than the glass nothing breaked... wikipedia isn't ever true... when the bomb exploded it didn't create a crater... but now stop, you are right, but nukes aren't in the terrafirmacraft theme

Dude, the nukes leveled enormous sections of the cities they were dropped on. Pictures show this, eyewitness reports show this, and I'm pretty sure if you asked a Japanese historian, they'd say so too.

Wikipedia is a perfectly accurate source, it is very strictly moderated and has citations for everything, or else it's marked as [citation needed] or is outright deleted.

Pictures for reference, from both Nagasaki and Hiroshima:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those pictures show me the results of an explosion. Do you have an alternate explanation? I think the problem is you don't know what an explosion is. An explosion is a rapid expansion of gas (or other matter forms) and energy. That's definitely what an atomic bomb is. Whether or not it creates a crater is irrelevant, suffice to say even extremely explosive explosions *several hundred feet above the earth's surface* (like the ones we're talking about here) can't possibly create a huge crater without impact material.

It's arguable that it doesn't fit in tfcraft, yeah. It would make more sense to be able to use it in a reactor, but that is a little hightech. It doesn't really add to the believability, it sooner subtracts from it.

EDIT: minor derp. Also, Wikipedia is a reliable source for most subjects which are very well-known, popular and historical and/or scientific in nature, since these pages are actively monitored and there are many reliable sources to cite.

Those pictures show me the results of an explosion. Do you have an alternate explanation? I think the problem is you don't know what an explosion is. An explosion is a rapid expansion of gas (or other matter forms) and energy. That's definitely what an atomic bomb is. Whether or not it creates a crater is irrelevant, suffice to say even extremely explosive explosions *several hundred feet above the earth's surface* (like the ones we're talking about here) can't possibly create a huge crater without impact material.

It's arguable that it doesn't fit in tfcraft, yeah. It would make more sense to be able to use it in a reactor, but that is a little hightech. It doesn't really add to the believability, it sooner subtracts from it.

EDIT: minor derp. Also, Wikipedia is a reliable source for most subjects which are very well-known, popular and historical and/or scientific in nature, since these pages are actively monitored and there are many reliable sources to cite.

Yeah, derp indeed >.>

No worries! I was just showing examples of why the other guy was wrong about there not being a significant explosion.

Oh lol that's not what I meant, I said minecraft instead of tfcraft and corrected that :P. But by that time you'd already posted.

Closing thread due to it no longer being on topic of a valid suggestion.