Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CapitanCJ

Wattle and Daub

5 posts in this topic

First a little background.

Wattle and daub is a building material which has been used for at least 6000 years. Wattle is a woven lattice made from wood strips which is daubed with some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung, and straw. It is used to make walls and cannot support much weight. In the real-world a frame is built first, then the wattle is added, next the wattle is daubed, finally the daub must dry.

Now the suggestion! A ascetic block: wattle and daub.

• Two new crafting recipes:
  • A wattle frame to be crafted from some assortment of sticks and/or planks.
  • Various recipes for daub using some assortment of the materials mentioned above.

• To use in building, the wattle would need another building material (such as plank blocks or log piles possibly cobblestone/stone/stone bricks/chiseled stone I can't think of any time I've seen wattle and daub on stone but I don't see why it couldn't) to be attached to as well as attaching to its self for a short distance (similar to how supports can attach to themselves).
  • The daub would then be applied to both sides of the the wattle (I suppose one side could be omitted for ascetic purposes or laziness but the block would need to be weaker).
  • Possibly needs to dry before torches or item racks could be attached (really this is all dev dependent).
  • Possibly could include a method of dying the daub (some dyes would need recipes I believe).
  • The block would not be able to hold much weight above it (i.e. two or more cobblestone blocks should be more weight than it could handle).
  • The block could not be used next to water or where it could get wet via rain or it dissolve or get worn down or something...

Personally, I love to build and wool blocks are not craftable (which is what I use as a stand-in for wattle and daub). I don't think this is too big of a thing to add but I would get a lot out of it.

Thanks for reading!

Hello!

I like this idea! I had a similar one myself...

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4327-suggestions-by-vagabond/

Frame of sticks (Crafting table pattern, X are sticks, O is empty space:

X X X

O X O

X X X

Daub (X = dirt block, O = Clay):

X O X

O X O

X O X

Put the two products next to each other in the crafting table to get a raw brick, then put it in the campfire to cook it. Output is a ready to use block. Hell, it could probably look just like the dirt block used to make it, it just wouldn't be affected by gravity. You don't get anything back for breaking it.

Cheers,

Michael

Not quite the same ideas here, making brick is all well and good but wattle and daub is a completely different construction material. Please read the post before making wild diagrams for recipes especially when the recipe is the least important part of the suggestion.

Not quite the same ideas here, making brick is all well and good but wattle and daub is a completely different construction material. Please read the post before making wild diagrams for recipes especially when the recipe is the least important part of the suggestion.

Hello,

Your post was very short and consise, any forum go'er would have little issue with reading such an easily formatted suggestion. However, your suggestion read more like a DIY in a home improvement magazine then a mechanical process in a game.

When I said brick, I wasn't talking about a red brick, or like a cinderblock brick... I was talking about a square block  that was placeable in the world as an object, you know, like every other square object the world is made of. I tend to use brick and block interchangeably due to the fact that playing minecraft is like playing with lego bricks, minus the nublies on the tops and indents on the bottoms.

Making the waddle and daub a crafted brick/block as opposed to something crafted in the world with a cycle that changes the item under certain conditions (like crops phases) would be (I thought) much easier for the developers to do.  A crafted brick process as I suggested in support of your idea would require four graphics and four item ids, and maybe a handful of crafting recipes. Building it in world by putting the frame up, and shoving the daub up against the frame(self connecting and all...on one or both sides depending on laziness or aesthetic taste), then having the sun cook it, then having the rain destroy it, then creating weight limits for roof sections, ability to dye the daub, and lastly a check for if its dry or not for the purpose of torches/fires....

I was simply trying to suggest a method of implementing the suggestion which would nestle into the established mechanics of the game, as well as trying to get ideas flowing in your suggestion thread. That first post tends to help move the thread along, until the OP bites someones head off for apparently not reading the topic. Blind conjecture.

As a side note, I'd like to point out that nearly your entire bullet list was a "wild diagram" for a recipe, which you claim to be the least important aspect; the main difference between your's and mine, as I mentioned before, is that yours seems to describe how it would be done outside a video game and spoken as vague surmising (i.e: some, such as, I suppose, possibly), as opposed to a solid plan for implementation.

Cheers,

Michael

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0