Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Minerr

[Stone Age] More realistic tools

15 posts in this topic

As far as I know that in beta 3, we won't have planks or cobblestone in the beginning, and worktable will be creatable as stone anvil, hence we could call It a Stone Age Update. I have some ideas for it:

1.More realistic tools

In TFC, we knap tool head from rocks, and then combine it with a stick. It isn't very realistic, is it? As far as I know, common stone age tool looks like this:

post-4273-0-15771800-1374050804.jpg

The idea is to have simple universal stone tool, made by knapping, until we have a worktable to craft a handle using some sticks ( In my opinion, one weak twig isn't very good for tool handle ), and ropes to link them together, and then with a metal tool head.

Some examples:

post-4273-0-00193700-1374052832.jpg

post-4273-0-89316000-1374052959.jpg

I will write more soon.

Sorry for my English :D

You aren't grabbing a twig from the tree, you're picking out the bigger, stronger branches. That's why you don't get a dozen sticks per leaf, you only get one every couple of leaves.

even modern tools use wood handles, not all but a good amount.

TFC aims for being believable, not for being realistic. There used to be a initial tier universal tool made out of flint way back in the day, but that has since been removed and replaced with knapping. Knapping is a perfectly believable mechanic; you are knocking two stones together to chip off pieces until you have a stone that is the desired shape for its use.

My only issue with stone age progression is sifting for small ores, it takes forever to get one ingot, and by extension one tool, and then if you aren't graced with an easily found ore vein you have to start sifting again. :|

I like the game but it gets deeply annoying when your progress is stalled to an utter halt because you have to spend easily days getting your first ingot. A stone pickaxe isn't entirely unbelievable and it would speed things up greatly if you could at least start chipping into the upper crust of the TFC world while you wait for those soil samples to slowly sift, and maybe if you're lucky you'll find some ore, I guess as a semi balance stone picks couldn't mine up ore, and magically stopped working below a certain Y Height.

My only issue with stone age progression is sifting for small ores, it takes forever to get one ingot, and by extension one tool, and then if you aren't graced with an easily found ore vein you have to start sifting again. :|

I like the game but it gets deeply annoying when your progress is stalled to an utter halt because you have to spend easily days getting your first ingot. A stone pickaxe isn't entirely unbelievable and it would speed things up greatly if you could at least start chipping into the upper crust of the TFC world while you wait for those soil samples to slowly sift, and maybe if you're lucky you'll find some ore, I guess as a semi balance stone picks couldn't mine up ore, and magically stopped working below a certain Y Height.

Using a sluice isn't the only way to get small ores. They also randomly drop from the surface rocks if there is an ore deposit somewhere below. If it's a massive vein down below, it's usually pretty easy to find enough small ores to make an ingot just from breaking surface rocks in the area.

Yeah. random, that's kind of the problem, I've noticed the Ore generation is quite miserly sparse, I went creative and hauled open a 16x16 chunk area layer by layer and found 1 ore vein. I think leaving the large list of useless ores and minerals hurts useful ore spawn.

Yeah. random, that's kind of the problem, I've noticed the Ore generation is quite miserly sparse, I went creative and hauled open a 16x16 chunk area layer by layer and found 1 ore vein. I think leaving the large list of useless ores and minerals hurts useful ore spawn.

You are correct on that. However, having a "large list of useless ores and minerals" is somewhat also an advantage; you won't have to reload a new world to get the these minerals once they have a function, and Bioxx-sama plans to vastly improve mineral spawning and the entire metallurgy system itself, if I am not mistaken.

You are correct on that. However, having a "large list of useless ores and minerals" is somewhat also an advantage; you won't have to reload a new world to get the these minerals once they have a function, and Bioxx-sama plans to vastly improve mineral spawning and the entire metallurgy system itself, if I am not mistaken.

That's what Redpower's owner said about tungsten, still doesn't have a use yet. I'll willingly start a new world for new ores, if they have a use.

That's what Redpower's owner said about tungsten, still doesn't have a use yet. I'll willingly start a new world for new ores, if they have a use.

Think about the recreation of worlds for new minerals with uses on a massive player scale. Not every one of them will be so willing to give up their old worlds they have spent countless hours trying to mold them into great works, carved by their blood and grit.

I can barely get to copper level of tools before I either end up spending ALL my copper trying to find new ores or have to restart a new world. I've not gotten an alloy(period)

the surface ore isn't completely random, it indicates ore beneath the surface there.

Ok, first I'm a bit confused about the term beta3. I saw a pined topic about it, it looks like tome it's some kind of brainstorm thing. But is there an actual branch of the code or some kind of development stage or was there a plan something like this call beta 3. Somebody please clear up this for me.

Secondly in build77 there's recipes for tool with bone handle. They're same with wooden handle which work's too, basically a stick can be replaced  with a bone.

I hope that full fills your needs for being more "stone-agey". Though I don't know if battling a sckely with some javelins and naked as a baby is a good idea.

Ok, first I'm a bit confused about the term beta3. I saw a pined topic about it, it looks like tome it's some kind of brainstorm thing. But is there an actual branch of the code or some kind of development stage or was there a plan something like this call beta 3. Somebody please clear up this for me.

Dunk screwed up when he called the thread Beta3. That's how they used to name larger builds that made major changes. Beta3 and build 77 are the same thing.

Dunk screwed up when he called the thread Beta3. That's how they used to name larger builds that made major changes. Beta3 and build 77 are the same thing.

hey! I didn't screw up! We used to have a thread on the forum about "beta 3" although the ideas were scrapped in the end. When I was talking to Bioxx, we decided that b77 was going to be so big, it was essentially a "new" beta 3.