Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TangentialThreat

Finding coal, ore depth general

5 posts in this topic

So if you're in the bronze age you're probably craving two things to advance: coal and iron.

Sedimentary layers that are near the surface seem to have zero useful minerals or ores. I think coal, limonite, magnetite etc only occur below a certain depth (~80?).

However, I have also found no coal while exploring really deep sedimentary caves near the bottom layer of the map (<40). The iron ores seem to go all the way down but from what I have seen coal only exists on a relatively narrow band between 80 and 40. Is this right?

it seems that with build 76, most of the better ores and coal lie just below the depth of 60. just dig down to there and make a small sideways tunnel (2 high and 1 wide) in any direction and use your prospector's pick to find ores.

don't forget to reference the wiki to what spawns where.

Ore spawns need to be revised at some point. T0 and copper never spawn above 130, so surface nuggets from rocks make those really easy to find with your first pick. And yeah deeper tunnels at 60 will eventually lead to everything else. Exploratory mining is kinda boring and predictable in recent versions.

Also, I've noticed that exploring cave systems doesn't yield as many 'hits' on valuable ores and coal as just mining 1x2 tunnels in a straight line. Curiosity demands that I light them up and explore them anyway, but this usually ends up being a lot more trouble than it's worth with all the mob spawns... which are far more easily controlled in well lit narrow tunnels.

Bioxx has stated that world generation in general, including ore generation is planned on being changed for build 78.

Ore spawns need to be revised at some point. T0 and copper never spawn above 130, so surface nuggets from rocks make those really easy to find with your first pick. And yeah deeper tunnels at 60 will eventually lead to everything else. Exploratory mining is kinda boring and predictable in recent versions.

For what value of 'eventually'?  I've gone through several bronze picks at level 60.  I've found massive amounts of coal and a bit of sphalerite, and I've seen readings of saltpeter and gypsum that I didn't bother to track down.  But nothing else, at all.  Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need to keep on mining?

EDIT:  Yes, I'm keeping track of what ores can spawn in what rock.