Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CreeperVon

Bauxite (Aluminum Ore)

21 posts in this topic

Bauxite is the most common type of aluminum ore, and I would love to see it be added into TFC. It would generate around the same depth as iron, and would have to be refined using the Bayer process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_process). Durability and other features would have to be chosen by Bioxx/Dunk.

you do realise that

1. this has been suggested several times in the past

2. the purification process for aluminum is waay outside our timeframe which ends around the 1500s if i'm correct, Aluminum wasnt properly discovered until around the time the Washington Monument was built.

you do realise that

1. this has been suggested several times in the past

2. the purification process for aluminum is waay outside our timeframe which ends around the 1500s if i'm correct, Aluminum wasnt properly discovered until around the time the Washington Monument was built.

yes, that's correct; aluminum processing and it's use are outside the timeframe of TFC, but the washington monument is a bit of an interesting frame of reference, as I had no idea when that was built :D

would have to be refined using the Bayer process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_process)

On top of what the others have said, if you had actually bothered to read through the rest of that article you would have found that the Bayer process is only half of what's needed to refine aluminum. The other half, the Hall-Héroult process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall%E2%80%93H%C3%A9roult_process) takes an extremely powerful electrolytic cell.The timeframe TFC is working with didn't even have reliable electricity at all, much less the incredible amounts used to refine aluminum.

Alum, or aluminum salts, can be found naturally or manufactured and has been used as an astringent, antiseptic, and antibiotic - as well as being useful in clarifying water and as an additive in dyes. It's also an important ingredient in certain methods of tanning. If bleeding and infection become an issue, or if drinking water can be contaminated then alum would become a huge asset for the wayward crafter.

...although I can't imagine any use for bauxite, extremely rare bits of native aluminum can be found in volcanoes or the cold seeps of ancient seas. Imagine - a great war spanning an entire continent over the posession of a tiny fragment of this mysterious metal. To be honest, a volcano itself would probably be more impressive...

There's no such thing as native aluminum. It's too reactive. Without electricity to knock the oxygen off, there's no easy way to reduce it from aluminate.

Its existence was only proposed in 1808 as the metallic base of alum, which would be extremely odd if the metal was known to exist in native nuggets, no matter how rare. Every piece of aluminum that exists on earth has been extracted by modern, chemical means, and quite recently.

I imagine Aluminium would be starting metal of electrical age. You can find bauxite before that, but there would be no way to process it.

yes, that's correct; aluminum processing and it's use are outside the timeframe of TFC, but the washington monument is a bit of an interesting frame of reference, as I had no idea when that was built :D

=====================

Actually, the cap on the Washington Monument was built prior to the discovery of a proper processing method for Bauxite. It was immensely expensive to make, then became worthless a few years later.

There's no such thing as native aluminum. It's too reactive. Without electricity to knock the oxygen off, there's no easy way to reduce it from aluminate.

Its existence was only proposed in 1808 as the metallic base of alum, which would be extremely odd if the metal was known to exist in native nuggets, no matter how rare. Every piece of aluminum that exists on earth has been extracted by modern, chemical means, and quite recently.

There is such a thing as native aluminum. Like I said it is so rare that no usable amount of it could ever be found, but it exists.

see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum#Natural_occurrence

-or-

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1367912010002087

There are plenty of useless minerals floating around underground in the current build. Why not throw bauxite into the mix?

straight from the wikipedia page linked in the first post: "The Bayer process was invented in 1887"

The ability to smelt alluminum is well outside the scope of TFC. It's very nearly a strictly 20th century metal.

There are plenty of useless minerals floating around underground in the current build. Why not throw bauxite into the mix?

I think because these metals could be used at one time... Adding something that won't ever be used is pointless.

Aluminum  was discovered in  the 1800s but there is a very expensive way to refine it using Alkaki metals such as Potassium and sodium. Becuase of that and it being thought to not corrode it was thought of as a Noble Metal. But No it should not be added. And TFC's timeline stops before the 1500s it ends around the 1100s.

I propose that somebody should do it as an addon then, for ages post 1100

Just end this topic theres like 12 of them I swear.

One possible way to add the ability to refine aluminum could be something like the Baghdad Battery, which could be made with materials already available to the time period that TFCraft occurs in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

The battery could be made with a sheet of aluminium, a lump of clay, and an iron ingot, along with a ceramic pot of fruit juice, such as from a lemon or an orange. Add in the ability to make draw-plates out of stone so you can have copper wire, and there you go, one ancient battery that could be used to power the processing of aluminium.

I'm not saying it is a practical solution, but it proves that electricity could exist in TFCraft.

One possible way to add the ability to refine aluminum could be something like the Baghdad Battery, which could be made with materials already available to the time period that TFCraft occurs in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_BatteryThe battery could be made with a sheet of aluminium, a lump of clay, and an iron ingot, along with a ceramic pot of fruit juice, such as from a lemon or an orange. Add in the ability to make draw-plates out of stone so you can have copper wire, and there you go, one ancient battery that could be used to power the processing of aluminium.I'm not saying it is a practical solution, but it proves that electricity could exist in TFCraft.

It is not the method that matters, even if it is possible, it wasn't discovered till past 1500s. Plus, those batteries don't create enough heat to matter. What you got to understand is that all the Aluminum baring ore is chemically composed that our standard ways are ineffective. During this time period, we use a chemical reaction which involves Heat and CO to seperate the ore from the rock, otherwise we would only get molten rock when we smelt ore. However, with Aluminum you must perform electrolysis with the molten aluminum ore rock, separating the ore from the stone. The other way is too expensive to consider.

actually it is the method that matters b/c we aren't truly recapitulating history by having 1 character invent every technology from the stone ages to 1100. for one character to do all that hes a supergenius anyway, and whatever is at his disposal should be considered usable

actually it is the method that matters b/c we aren't truly recapitulating history by having 1 character invent every technology from the stone ages to 1100. for one character to do all that hes a supergenius anyway, and whatever is at his disposal should be considered unable

What I was implying was that TFC is only accounting for things known during the stone-age to the 1500s and because of that even if the methods existed, they were not known.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0