Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
caluf

Uses for Gems

10 posts in this topic

I read all of the rule posts and suggestion guidelines but if i am breaking any rules feel free to let me know. I thought since as far as i know Gems have basically no use whatsoever, Gems could be used in necklaces and bracelets. they could give you potion affects or buffs like incresed health or something of the sort. i think it would be a good way to add the use of gems. also if they ever do add NPC's you could always trade the neclaces for food or maybe something like that.

I'm sorry to say that TFC is trying to be as realistic as possible so potion affects or buffs would never be added. :( Also Bioxx said he wasn't going to add NPCs into the game, so that sucks too.

I'm sorry to say that TFC is trying to be as realistic as possible so potion affects or buffs would never be added. :( Also Bioxx said he wasn't going to add NPCs into the game, so that sucks too.

Wrong. TFC is not trying to be realistic, it's trying to be believable, so even something like magick or potions can be implemented if we do it correctly and have it make sense

Oh, but Srg is right. It's about believablity. The new alcohol in b77 gives you a random potion effect. 

oh and about the magics and potions, Dunk is rather against either of those things being in TFC, so sadface here

Also you can get potion effects from meals so it is quite possible that they will make it so you can receive other effects from different items

maybe use the gems for decoration purposes. like embedding gems into armor pieces or make a crown with the gems in it. or so we can make a keystone out of the gems

maybe use the gems for decoration purposes. like embedding gems into armor pieces or make a crown with the gems in it. or so we can make a keystone out of the gems

I'm working on Techne models for exactly this.  When I'm done, I'll be commissioning an add-on mod that lets you craft jewelry, metalcrafts, and other "valuables" out of precious metals and gems.  They wouldn't do anything other than look pretty, but at least you could place them in the world.  

If anyone is interested in this, I do need some help.  I need someone to make textures for the models.  Turns out I'm terrible at it.  PM me if you're interested.  

EDIT: Someone has volunteered for the textures, and I'm getting in touch with him on Skype.  Thanks, HunterKain!

I don't understand the difference between believably and realistic. I mean I kinda do but eh. I would just say the game is realistic to an extent. Plus im glad Dunk wont add potions. or magic shit.  Terra firma is what mine craft should have been. duh.  Right now I love how the game is going but in relation to the topic... haha.. I'm against having gems give magical powers.  But I do Like the jewelry idea lol.

Disappointing that NPCs aren't planned to be implemented since gems and similar minerals are most often appreciated for their esthetic value. Otherwise, you could use gems to raise the overall value of items you make to be traded for a currency to replace the emeralds in vanilla. If there aren't going to be any actual villagers or similar NPCs, you can possibly design a trading post or trade depot that an invisible trade caravan is implied to come by after some random span of time to take some if not all your wares and replace them with generic currency or other items you might need such as ores or ingots or even food products, possibly requested at the depot ahead of time. The currency could then be taken to other randomly generated "village" or shop structures to also purchase items you might want or need.