Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
CreeperVon

Build 77

64 posts in this topic

Posting here again, with the view of 77.7 now. My other post was pretty ranty on the mobs.

Mobs are much better if you have a sword and armor, which is great news. Early game its best to just hide.

Thirst is a small annoyance now. I think that jugs should always refill 50% of your thirst meter and bottles refill 30%, no matter what level you are.

Tetrahedrite is WAY too common. Mining a few mineshafts, I've found over 5x as many tetrahedrite veins as any other ore, all very large.

Powder kegs are too expensive, requiring two whole stacks of charcoal for one measly explosion (in stone at least). Instead of four stacks of gunpowder, it should only be one.

This last part is only things that aren't in, that I would like crafting recipes for: the new 1.6 Leads (you need a slime ball in vanilla). This would make animal herding much easier. Carpets, or any placeable wool. (Two wool cloth is a couple carpets?) Since when do you get blocks of wool from shearing sheep instead of wool items? That's cool.

Posting here again, with the view of 77.7 now. My other post was pretty ranty on the mobs.

Mobs are much better if you have a sword and armor, which is great news. Early game its best to just hide.

Thirst is a small annoyance now. I think that jugs should always refill 50% of your thirst meter and bottles refill 30%, no matter what level you are.

Tetrahedrite is WAY too common. Mining a few mineshafts, I've found over 5x as many tetrahedrite veins as any other ore, all very large.

Powder kegs are too expensive, requiring two whole stacks of charcoal for one measly explosion (in stone at least). Instead of four stacks of gunpowder, it should only be one.

This last part is only things that aren't in, that I would like crafting recipes for: the new 1.6 Leads (you need a slime ball in vanilla). This would make animal herding much easier. Carpets, or any placeable wool. (Two wool cloth is a couple carpets?) Since when do you get blocks of wool from shearing sheep instead of wool items? That's cool.

powder kegs are for killing other players. Leads will come into play when we get around to adding rope.

When I started to make my first copper anvil I tried to shape my unshaped copper on a stone anvil to keep its temperature. This old way of shaping ingots doesn't seem to work at all so I had to reheat all my copper ingots just to weld them. Is there something I'm missing or was that working into ingots been taken out completely?

You no longer need to use an anvil to work a mold of metal into an ingot. Just place the mold in your crafting space and it will give you back an ingot, even if the metal in the mold was still liquid! The price you pay is that the ingot will be cold so you will have to reheat it if you want to work with it in the anvil.

You no longer need to use an anvil to work a mold of metal into an ingot. Just place the mold in your crafting space and it will give you back an ingot, even if the metal in the mold was still liquid! The price you pay is that the ingot will be cold so you will have to reheat it if you want to work with it in the anvil.

-Ah, alright. That just means an extra step to reheat to make the anvils, and I can deal with that.

I am having a bit of trouble making Bismuth Bronze in a Pit Kiln. I've over-thought the different amounts of tetra, bismuth, & zinc so many times and tested each one, but still no Bismuth Bronze. The only thing that I think it may be is that i'm using "small" sphalerite and even after accounting for the fact it is only 1/4 of a normal ore it just does not melt. I'm gonna find this endless zinc vein is my schist biome and try again with the normal ore.

Another thing, Is the Rich/Poor ore in creative a work-in-progress thing? It seems like it could be cool with the new Raw Iron Bloom being 2 ingots for a 200% yield. I could imaging finding it and getting a good amount from it, and a poor ore would not worth it to bring back...unless poor would be much more common, and able to stack higher.

It really depends massivly on where you are. I for example am swimming in Bismuth, Sphal and Cassiterite but got barely enough copper to make a bloomery. That is the problem of Singleplayer with TFC, which i'm fine with, even though i don't play SMP often.

There is a severe balance problem early game. 

Firstly is the problem with shelter. 

1) mob quantity and strength. Assloads of zombies wandering around at night means you cant go out without metal weapons and armor and expect to live. 

2) thatch is cheap. The obviously optimal early-game strategy is to make a knife, collect straw, and build a straw house. I'm sure you know what must be done to remedy this. 

Version 0.77.9
Tweaks

• Wolf size increased by 30%
  • Wolves will now seek and destroy thatch blocks

3) Beds are expensive. There is no way to sleep until you have copper. So until then you find yourself in the middle of a pile of straw staring at the sky all night. 

Second is that of food. Being a hunter-gatherer just isn't viable anymore, and agriculture takes too long to be viable early-game. 

4) Animals are too rare. I may just be unlucky, but I've never found more than three animals together. And they're always the same gender, so that makes animal husbandry nigh unto impossible. 

5) Animals are too bountiful. When you finally do find some animals, you're set for months. A couple cows give enough meat to eat for long after you've found the next group. 

6) Vegetables are either too rare or not filling enough. You only find a few plants together at a time, which would be fine if that was enough to fill you up, but it's not. Normally the hunger cost of looking for it outweighs reward from finding it. 

7) squid are too abundant, relative to all other animals. It's easy to live off of calamari once you've found a couple lakes. It becomes ridiculous very quickly, living in a grass pile eating squids. 

And a minor complaint

8) Ceramic Vessels are really inconvenient. If you want to find something, you have to pick up each one to look in it. Would it be possible to make it so shift-clicking removes a placed pot, and just clicking looks inside it?

Problems 1 and 3 are related. Fixing one would make the other not a problem. If I could go to bed before mobs spawned (as I do in all the other builds) they wouldn't be a problem. I would suggest a bed alternative using hides and straw. (Also some shelter requirements, for immersion reasons, but that's for another post.)

2 could be solved by making thatch more expensive, through time or quantity requirements. 
4 and 5 are just a balancing issue. I would suggests more animals per herd, but overall less total meat, so there's a better chance of finding both males and females. You'll just have to experiment to find out how much meat per herd to make subsistence hunting work, so that you're not overflowing with meat and not starving to death either. 
6 is easy. Just make more vegetables spawn together. 

-Ah, alright. That just means an extra step to reheat to make the anvils, and I can deal with that.

I am having a bit of trouble making Bismuth Bronze in a Pit Kiln. I've over-thought the different amounts of tetra, bismuth, & zinc so many times and tested each one, but still no Bismuth Bronze. The only thing that I think it may be is that i'm using "small" sphalerite and even after accounting for the fact it is only 1/4 of a normal ore it just does not melt. I'm gonna find this endless zinc vein is my schist biome and try again with the normal ore.

Another thing, Is the Rich/Poor ore in creative a work-in-progress thing? It seems like it could be cool with the new Raw Iron Bloom being 2 ingots for a 200% yield. I could imaging finding it and getting a good amount from it, and a poor ore would not worth it to bring back...unless poor would be much more common, and able to stack higher.

The 1:4 ratio is no longer good. Small ore is 10 metal unit and normal ore is 25 metal unit

I made bis bronze mixing big and small. It work, but with the right ratio.

Is it typical to give a wolf a bone,  have it sit, then right click it into a crashing game?  Also,  anyone else seem to have memory issues with this?  Maybe it's my version of java but am not sure.

When it comes to memory my game was stuttering because it only allocates 1Gb of memory to minecraft. Thankfully since the new launcher came out you can easily fix that by simply editing the profile in the launcher, enabling JVM Arguments and changing -Xmx1G to what ever you can spare.

When it comes to the topic.

What I think TFC needs is an early stage straw mat to count as a bed - Maybe no spawn, just passing the night. - since beds are now really late game.

A straw basket isn't a bad idea either.

Making thatch easily burnable by firepits, kilns and even torches would perfectly balance it's abundance and make for interesting visuals too.

The 1:4 ratio is no longer good. Small ore is 10 metal unit and normal ore is 25 metal unit

I made bis bronze mixing big and small. It work, but with the right ratio.

-Thanks for the info, it helped me immensely.

Also liking the changes added in 77.10, the Vessel changes are great both ways. For stopping those keeping molten metals ready for the next tool they feel like pouring, as well as seeing whats in them for those using them as more compact storge in chests/backbacks. Now that I think about it, stuffing them full of cobble then putting those in chests is kinda OP, but I'd like them either way. And stacking Flux, thank you for that!

When lighting a pit kiln - if you click too many times with your fire starter (i.e. click again *after* it's lit) then you can pick up (unfired) objects from inside.

Of course, there is no way of putting them back in...

Also, the build 77.11 mod shows up in the mod list as build 77.10 still :)

Yeah, i've had the firestarter thing too. It's actually kind of annoying. I wasted like 3 log piles on that. 

I've actually managed to put things back in, weirdly enough.  You have to be very careful to click the correct corner it came from.

But yes, there are many oddities around right-clicking around a kiln.  The most annoying is that ordinary; right-click behavior is not suppressed;   so when you place a clay or ceramic object, and you have rocks or clay in your hand, the knapping/molding interface opens up.

I also had a glitch(?) when I put 4 unfired jugs into the kiln, and then (without clicking incorrectly) when the firing was complete, there were only 3 jugs.Does that mean that there is a chance of breakage during firing also? (not unreasonable!)