Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
The Shadow

High-Tier Alloy Recipes

7 posts in this topic

One of the things I like best about TFC is that many things can't be looked up in the wiki - they depend on the seed, so you have to discover them yourself anew in each game.

Why not apply that same idea to the recipes for black steel, red steel, and blue steel, which don't exist in real life?

They needn't be entirely random, of course.  They should all require steel in their recipes.  Black steel might even always require nickel, just so you still need to find garnierite.  But the 'lesser' ingredients could vary from game to game.

One nice result that follows immediately - you can't ever be sure that platinum (for example) is useless.  You might need it later on!

Given the new alloying system via crucible that's coming in 77, there might even be a place for small amounts of various minerals being used in alloys?

EDIT:  I just discovered there was a similar thread earlier.  However, this one is more modest, in that it doesn't suggest a whole range of new alloys, just greater difficulty and challenge for three of the existing ones.

I like this, perhaps all of the future arcane type alloys could be like this.

Its technically possible, that's all I'll say.

Bumping to maybe give it a little more substance.

A way this could be devised is by instead of taking this as random seed generated, there could be all these otherwise useless metals, having an effect on a given mix of alloys.

There are three properties that it could add

• Durability as in preventing rust etc. thus raising the lifetime of a given tool.
  • Hardness, obviously this is a two edged sword, hard is nice but too hard and it becomes brittle.
  • Flexibility, or the amount of force it can endure while retaining shape (this is called a temporary or elastic deformation). Again as with hardness it can be too flexible thus bending way too easy (think gold/lead pickaxe).

All materials could be used, no restrictions, but some would be downright deficient or would not blend and cause something unusable,

i imagine all aloys have the three attributes, and maybe even different sets of the three depending on the metals used to create alloys, the mix of them, and maybe even the ratio of these (not expecting that, damn much work)

Please criticize, modify or debate this :D

Most alloying metals have non-linear effect when added into the blend. It's not like you add gold and it just becomes softer. Well, if it's gold - maybe it will, but you get the idea.

There is no good way to make dynamic materials, and as transcengopher stated, metals don't just mix and become better/worse in a linear fashion. There are a ton of properties at play. The original intention of this thread however is technically feasible. The resulting metal itself would have to be hard coded, but the alloy makeup itself could easily be made to be dependent on the seed. I'm not saying that I'm going to do this, but I decided to chime in because I like to theorycraft on how to make things work.

The original intention of this thread however is technically feasible. The resulting metal itself would have to be hard coded, but the alloy makeup itself could easily be made to be dependent on the seed. I'm not saying that I'm going to do this, but I decided to chime in because I like to theorycraft on how to make things work.

And I thank you for doing so.  Having seen the new alloying system now, I definitely see that it could be done.  And unlike the old metallurgy table, there would be an actual cost to doing so - you'd be wasting metals in your experiments.