Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

I'm Back!

28 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! Kimbble here, also known as (or formerly known as, XD) The All-Seeing-Eye. Some of you might have noticed that I suddenly "disappeared". Sorry about not being to update earlier, but I'll try to explain that as best as I can in this post. Hopefully, you still remember me and my antics, but if you don't, or weren't there, I'm here to start them again.

Well, for a loooong time, I hadn't been able to really play TFC that much, until recently, or that is, a few hours ago*. Instead, I've been playing lots of CIvilization 5 and 4 (with the new expansion pack for V), Dwarf Fortress, Europa Universalis III and IV, Crusader Kings II, and FTB, among others. Family/Private reasons came up that stopped me from playing TFC and visiting the forums. I've also been trying to learn basic Java, HTML and a little c++. Maybe now I can at least try to understand what devs are saying in regards to code. :P The aforementioned reasons, along with studying, moving, and other school related things took up my time and really made it hard to do anything with these forums or TFC in general.

However, I think I've come back at a really cool time for TFC. I see that it's now updated for 1.6.x and is at build 77. The last time I played it was around build 69 or 68. Tons of things have changed since then, and I especially think the newest build has brought with it some amazing changes, such as the updated early game. 

I also hear talk of Beta 3? And apparently the whole Beta 2 thing has been abolished, and instead will be integrated into TFC itself. I'm not a hundred percent sure though, so feel free to educate me on the topic. I'm also a little iffy on the new themes, but oh well. What can you do?

I can't wait to return to TFC and the forums. But if I seem unknowledgeable/ignorant about the newest changes or recent happenings, please forgive me. :D

*I played a 1.5.1 b76 world, and spent a long time getting up to the Tin/Zinc/Bismuth age. Then, I looked at the TFC page and saw b77 was released. ;/

Hey everyone! Kimbble here, also known as (or formerly known as, XD) The All-Seeing-Eye. Some of you might have noticed that I suddenly "disappeared". Sorry about not being to update earlier, but I'll try to explain that as best as I can in this post. Hopefully, you still remember me and my antics, but if you don't, or weren't there, I'm here to start them again.

Well, for a loooong time, I hadn't been able to really play TFC that much, until recently, or that is, a few hours ago*. Instead, I've been playing lots of CIvilization 5 and 4 (with the new expansion pack for V), Dwarf Fortress, Europa Universalis III and IV, Crusader Kings II, and FTB, among others. Family/Private reasons came up that stopped me from playing TFC and visiting the forums. I've also been trying to learn basic Java, HTML and a little c++. Maybe now I can at least try to understand what devs are saying in regards to code. :P The aforementioned reasons, along with studying, moving, and other school related things took up my time and really made it hard to do anything with these forums or TFC in general.

However, I think I've come back at a really cool time for TFC. I see that it's now updated for 1.6.x and is at build 77. The last time I played it was around build 69 or 68. Tons of things have changed since then, and I especially think the newest build has brought with it some amazing changes, such as the updated early game. 

I also hear talk of Beta 3? And apparently the whole Beta 2 thing has been abolished, and instead will be integrated into TFC itself. I'm not a hundred percent sure though, so feel free to educate me on the topic. I'm also a little iffy on the new themes, but oh well. What can you do?

I can't wait to return to TFC and the forums. But if I seem unknowledgeable/ignorant about the newest changes or recent happenings, please forgive me. :D

*I played a 1.5.1 b76 world, and spent a long time getting up to the Tin/Zinc/Bismuth age. Then, I looked at the TFC page and saw b77 was released. ;/

WELCOME BACK, KIMBBLESRATH!!!

Yes, it is unfortunate you will have to reload a new world, but it is going to be fun... as soon as I can figure out how to install mods using new procedures (which I gravely dislike).

We have a new Roleplay thread in the Off-Topic sub-forum (I created it), there is also some concern with TFC's end, and there are some things that other members might be able to recall.

Oh, and I also watched FMA:B, and I finished the episode where Dracma begins their attack on Fort Briggs at the episode's end.

I watched the first two episodes of Fairy Tale.

And I watched some more animes.

Regardless, it is good to have you back, Kimbblesrath.

-Sda209

BIG FONNNTTT!!!!!

Oh, and I also watched FMA:B, 

Nice!

I finished the episode where Dracma begins their attack on Fort Briggs at the episode's end.

Wait what? Are you watching it? Or was this just a quirk of grammar/typo?

Anyways, I'm glad to hear its good to have me back. :D (I'm still sticking to my "blue responds to quotes" format.)

BIG FONNNTTT!!!!!

Nice!

Wait what? Are you watching it? Or was this just a quirk of grammar/typo?

Anyways, I'm glad to hear its good to have me back. :D (I'm still sticking to my "blue responds to quotes" format.)

I am watching it, from episode 1 to all the way to episode 30-something, I guess? I do not remember... curse my iffy memory

On the topic of Dwarf Fortress, how many fortresses did you lost? Also, please state the cause of death.

I am watching it, from episode 1 to all the way to episode 30-something, I guess? I do not remember... curse my iffy memory

Alright, makes sense.

On the topic of Dwarf Fortress, how many fortresses did you lost? Also, please state the cause of death.

A lot. I'm still bad at it. :P Things like dehydration, flooding, food loss, almost lost one from booze loss and like 90% of mine fell from a siege.

Alright, makes sense.

A lot. I'm still bad at it. :P Things like dehydration, flooding, food loss, almost lost one from booze loss and like 90% of mine fell from a siege.

Man...

All of my fortresses losses are from me trying to destroy it out of boredom...

What do you not know about Dwarf Fortress yet?

It's not so much not knowing things than just being bad at doing them. It's like the practice versus theory thing.

It's not so much not knowing things than just being bad at doing them. It's like the practice versus theory thing.

Oh, well then, what is the first thing you usually do when you arrive at embark (A good area with plenty of trees, deep soil, and shallow and deep metals(Shallow and Deep metal means there is only one type found, the ones with "metals" means there is more than one type))?

Prepare by buying skills and items.

Prepare by buying skills and items.

That's the Embark Screen you're talking about. What I am talking about is when you arrive at the embark location, what is the first thing you usually do?

I make a stairwell digsite with water near and 3 wide halls and then build workshops.

I make a stairwell digsite with water near and 3 wide halls and then build workshops.

Is the "water" a river, or a lake?

I recommend digging a 1-wide hall for now, for defensive purposes, so when you build traps (assuming you have a mechanic), all enemies entering in will have to enter single-file, which is good since they have no way of evading traps (unless their tag says they can).

Is the "water" a river, or a lake?

I recommend digging a 1-wide hall for now, for defensive purposes, so when you build traps (assuming you have a mechanic), all enemies entering in will have to enter single-file, which is good since they have no way of evading traps (unless their tag says they can).

It's a river. And I will definitely heed your advice on halls. 

It's a river. And I will definitely heed your advice on halls. 

As long as you don't dig too close to the river, you should be fine.

Here's some advice:

-Dig a 3x3 downwards staircase.

-Do the same thing on the exposed layer with a 3x3 upwards staircase.

-Once accomplished, place the dig-designation cursor (The yellow X) at the middle of the wall of the staircase (the direction of your choice), hold shift, and designate a hallway that leads straight. Make sure it is at least twenty-tiles long (Holding shift will jump the cursor to eleven tiles per move, but as long as the cursor is on an exposed wall, you should be fine with getting ten tiles per move).

Alright! This seems really helpful, and I haven't really been doing much of this. Hopefully, this helps me get from noob to ... not so noob.

Alright! This seems really helpful, and I haven't really been doing much of this. Hopefully, this helps me get from noob to ... not so noob.

Yeah, but there are still more things to do, such as setting up the workshops, designating areas for later use, and all sorts. You've still got a long way, Kimbblesrath.

But here's what I do.

For Embark, I bring 50 kinds of meat, since each type gives a free barrel for alcohol. Always bring at least two female cats and dogs, and one male cat and male hunting dog.

If possible, ALWAYS BRING SOME GYPSUM PLASTER! It is used in making casts for broken bones and it is essential if your afflicted dwarf managed to escape with a broken limb.

I also recommend installing Dwarf Therapist with Splinter-Mind(I think it is called), as it will  simplify the view to be much easier and less tedious.

Make sure to being at least four turkey hens and one turkey rooster for eggs and meat and leather.

If you can afford it, try bringing at least one bull and one cow (I normally use alpacas or yaks or both (I modify the embark points to be twice the amount).

There other things I haven't mentioned, but I cannot explain everything.

I recommend watching Zemalf's Dwarf Fortress Tutorials (it's up to date) on YouTube; he'll explain everything better.

Hope this helps.

Hey guess what... I'M BACK TOO! :D I bought a computer that can handle TFC, and it'll be here in two weeks. so, yeah. Wassup

FINALLY! Trey, you finally got a computer to run TFC. XD Now you can enjoy the buggy, but awesome experience of build 77.

IKR? I'm very excited. Wating for it to come in the mail is almost painful.... maybe we can play together on a server sometime when I get it!

Sure! Sounds like fun. :)

Kimbblesrath,

I apologize for not breaking to you this earlier, but I think I will be going off the radar for probably a while. The reason is... school, you guessed it.

Also, since the charger for this computer is now replaced with a new one, I am going back to writing fan fiction, which might take up a chunk of time, as well. Sorry, everyone, for not informing of this sooner.

Farewell, and I hope all of you have a wonderful day....

-Sda209

No problem, Sda. It happens. I'm sure lots of us (me included) won't have enough time once school starts. 5 more days, and that's it. :P

And I've read your most recent fanfiction, and it's not bad. :)

Hmm, this topic seems legit, then...I am back too!