Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
platanusoccidentalis

Tree / Forest Improvements

31 posts in this topic

Hey,
Dunno if this is appropriate to start thinking about at this time, but I guess I will end up spewing some ideas. I think it would be nice to see more uses for trees, here is a list of some I have thought of:
 - Birch bark is flammable when wet  (in particular, Yellow birch - Betula alleghaniensis - perhaps birch wood could be burnt in rain?)
 - Oak trees could bear nuts that could be edible by the player (perhaps turned into flour)
 - Pines and spruces could be used to brew tea, which would hydrate and slightly restore health. 
 - Chestnuts are edible - can be eaten or turned into flour. 
 - Maples could produce syrup 
 - Hickories provide edible nuts
 - Willows (genus salix) produce salicylic acids, which were used for pain treatment

The forest could be altered in several ways:
 - Trees could have trunks of differing sizes (1/4, 1/2 3/4, 1 of a normal log) 
 - The forest floor could be covered by dead leaves (perhaps an extension of grass, these could be created under and around trees (maybe they could also change color with the season)
 - All trees, except evergreens, of course, should show textures similar to those of fruit trees in winter - bare branches. 
 - Differing soils could hold higher or lower amounts of nutrients, which could effect the types of plants present there. 

I agree with the maple idea, but it would require a way to turn the maple water into maple syrup and find a use for it. On that I would have some ideas.

Other than that, I would rework food system before introducing new food elements from trees.

The trunk size is a fun idea, would add a nice visual change to forest, but if you cut a 1/4 size tree, will you get a full log or a small log ?

Dead leaves is interesting, but how would you make it change color, like get colored in red/orange/yellow in autumn or else they would be brownish?

Bare branches in winter is logic, that's a good idea.

I think the vegetation is more a biome/temperature or even rain level question than a soil nutrient question. I would be easier (I think) to handle it this way than by nutrient level.

P.S. If you want to propose something on github, I would say that It's kind of ok if it's not too much stuff and you can send a pull request for it if approved. 

Glad that you like some of the ideas. The dead leaves would change color in a similar manner as do leaf blocks. I guess they would be brown throughout the winter, spring, and summer, with orange, red, and yellow mixed in during the fall. 

Different trees should also have different trunk sizes, a birch tree is not going to be the same diameter as a huge old oak

I have talked about something like a thing said in this thread, but I can't remember, where it went.

Basically what I suggest is to replace all those saplings with the assortment of seeds, nuts, cones and all that. Of course, those should ripe only in specific time of the year, being pretty mush useless the rest of the time.

Being planted, the seed grows a few stages until it reaches the state of long-known sapling block, and then grows "normally" (in Minecraft sense; or not).

This way we can implement tree-related food, enable more sensible explanation for a stack of 64 saplings laying about in the chest (those will no longer be saplings, but nuts instead) and make the foresting process more believable, if somewhat a lot slower, but providing more feedback at the same time.

Oh, and also saplings can be dug up and replanted, but not stack in the process and maybe slowly die out if not being planted for a long time.

(I think I should create a thread about it. But I don't really want to, unless you guys are okay with it)

I like that idea, I believe that I had thought about that before as well. 

Maybe the dead leaves could be like snow layers in snow biomes, only they spawn in forest biomes in autumn and don't melt. Maybe even the particle effects of "snow" but with changed textures(and less concentration), to look like falling leaves instead of snowflakes. These particles would only be visible "spawning" under the leaf blocks in trees in autumn, and would cause dead leaves(re-textured snow layer) to acumulate. Just an idea.

Really nice ideas. I liked the idea with the leaves most, I think in The Aether there are already leaves on the ground, so it shouldn't be difficult to implement. Having leaves on the ground is really realistic!

2 things:

1: Cashleer, go wash your keyboard with soap, you know you can't say the r word in these forums

2: I think trees should be bigger in general. The size of the big trees already seen in MC would work

bump.

By the way, are we ever going to get a tree/forest overhaul, considering this has been suggested a LOT throughout the history of TFC?

I have a feeling that the answer would be no. Lot of people have asked for many things, like animal corpse, like thousands of times. As I understand, Bioxx do not check the suggestions a lot and I think he have plans for the next 2 or 3 releases. The best thing yo do, would be to propose small change and code them yourself. It might just work better than waiting for your proposition to be adopted and implemented.

Big changes require lot of coding and bug hunting, but your idea seems good, you must also think if it's reasonably possible to code thing like that. Then comes the client performance and server performance tax for doing so.

I really like the nut idea. If they implement animals fleeing from the player on sight, acorns, chestnuts, and hickory nuts could be spread on the ground by shift clicking to attract boars, sheep, and cows, seeds for chickens, and maybe even salt for deer. The maple syrup idea could be adapted to conifers to get resin to use as a glue to elongate tool durability or even as waterproofing for boats or simple stone-age buckets.

Breaking leaves on the floor to give dry leaves to use as kindling or fuel would give the piles purpose. Falling leaf particles are already in use in Tropicraft and it gives a really nice atmospheric touch. If the leaves pile up in layers big enough, small mobs could hid in them and the leaf piles could also act like spiderwebs, slowing movement through them.

Breaking apart saplings with a knife could give you green twigs for making snares of sorts to catch rabbits and chickens and game like that.

Wow you're pretty fond in botany :D

I remember that some time ago i've thought about chestnut trees, complaining to myself on why they have not chestnuts

- Birch bark is flammable when wet  (in particular, Yellow birch - Betula alleghaniensis - perhaps birch wood could be burnt in rain?)

Um, I don't think flammable equals spontaneously combustible....

I agree with this, maybe oak leaves could drop acorns when broken during certain months. And the dead leaves thing should change with the type of forest, if it was a pine forest than moss would be more believable.

Also this would really enhance the hunter gatherer aspect/stage of this mod.

Maybe there should also be a combat aspect about certain trees, like yew trees giving poisonous sap, which could be used to create poison, which could be crafted with a weapon so that the first time  you hit a mob,(with that weapon) you create a poison effect, but if you kill an animal with it, you end up with like half or all the meat rotten.

the poison should only be one use, and should not be easy to make, maybe you have to boil down the sap to create poison and store it in glass jars.

This would be great for later, (when monsters are moved under ground) and you need to prepare before exploring a cave.

Maybe pine, maple and other trees would give of sap when chiseled a certain way.

I prefer to see the leaves show their nuts and be right-clickable like fruit trees. You don't have to destroy a tree to pick the nuts.

Tsuarok, you are right, to get acorns from a tree, you are going to pick or shake a tree instead of cutting down it's limbs.

- Trees could have trunks of differing sizes (1/4, 1/2 3/4, 1 of a normal log) 
 - The forest floor could be covered by dead leaves (perhaps an extension of grass, these could be created under and around trees (maybe they could also change color with the season)
 …

I like these two suggestions.

I've thought about trees being composed of a "stump" block whose block ticks grow the tree, and trunk and branch blocks. Trunk and branch blocks adjacent to leaves blocks would render surrounded by their own leaves blocks (unlike the current fruit tree branches).

Forest floors might have grass coverage in some open areas, but most of it is leaf litter detritus. That might make sense as its own block as an alternative to grass blocks in forests. But mainly just for appearance, I'm not sure how its functionality would greatly differ from the current grass blocks in forests. Detritus blocks would generate under trees (during worldgen, not when the player grows trees) and some random blocks around the tree.

In addition, the borders between forests and clear areas should have more vegetation -- they tend to be a diverse areas with new trees competing with bushes and other plants.

you could change the light reqs. for spreading grass to full light, and have leaf litter spread at lower light levels. Having gone splunking many times, I can tell you the leaf litter accumulates underground as well.

The light requirements should only work in the forest biome, and correspond to the trees in that forest, note in pine forests the ground tends to be covered in moss, which would look really cool if done given an appropriate texture, like bright/dark green, not leaf debris. 

The light requirements should only work in the forest biome, and correspond to the trees in that forest, note in pine forests the ground tends to be covered in moss, which would look really cool if done given an appropriate texture, like bright/dark green, not leaf debris. 

Vanilla added podzol, which texture can be used as a base for what covers the ground in pine forests. However, light requirements for spreading grass coupled with the biome check is quite a nuisance performance-wise. Because there isn't such thing as forest biome anymore, so check would actually be for an occurence and weighted volume of leaf blocks around the spot, which is considerably more resource intensive.

a very simple idea.  good job.

As a Canadian I would love nothing more than to wander around the forest every February - March and start placing barrels and taping my beloved maple trees. Please, this needs to be a thing.

Certain tribes of Native Americans also used pine needle tea as a way to obtain Vitamin C (preventing scurvy). During the summer months vegetables and fruits supplied this vitamin but in the winter the lack of proper nutrition devastated early European settlers. Pine needle tea as a way to replenish food stats and thirst would be great for people just starting out or who wish to live in northern climates where fruit & veggies are scare and the growing season shorter. 

Now, assuming tree-taps are used to collect the maple sap it makes sense that they could also be used as a way to collect caoutchouc. This primitive form of rubber was collected and used by Mesoamerican (Olmec, Aztec etc) civilizations well before the age that TFC takes place in. They also had means of processing the sap into somewhat-usable rubber. It was not until the 19th century that the process of vulcanizing rubber by adding sulfur at very high temeraptures was discovered. (This was what made the rubber elastic, resistant to heat and cold and and able to return to it's original shape after being deformed)

Main point: Maple syrup good. Scurvy bad. Rubber balls bouncy.