Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
platanusoccidentalis

Tree / Forest Improvements

31 posts in this topic

As a Canadian I would love nothing more than to wander around the forest every February - March and start placing barrels and taping my beloved maple trees. Please, this needs to be a thing.

Certain tribes of Native Americans also used pine needle tea as a way to obtain Vitamin C (preventing scurvy). During the summer months vegetables and fruits supplied this vitamin but in the winter the lack of proper nutrition devastated early European settlers. Pine needle tea as a way to replenish food stats and thirst would be great for people just starting out or who wish to live in northern climates where fruit & veggies are scare and the growing season shorter. 

Now, assuming tree-taps are used to collect the maple sap it makes sense that they could also be used as a way to collect caoutchouc. This primitive form of rubber was collected and used by Mesoamerican (Olmec, Aztec etc) civilizations well before the age that TFC takes place in. They also had means of processing the sap into somewhat-usable rubber. It was not until the 19th century that the process of vulcanizing rubber by adding sulfur at very high temeraptures was discovered. (This was what made the rubber elastic, resistant to heat and cold and and able to return to it's original shape after being deformed)

Main point: Maple syrup good. Scurvy bad. Rubber balls bouncy.

While I like the pine needle idea, what use would rubber and maple syrup have, they seem like a lot of work, (concentrating the sap, etc.) with little reward, and little benefit to the overall game play, and therefore a lot of coding with little benefit. Maple syrup is eaten irl because it is delicious ( I am not a fan of sweet stuff and I love it), but it could not have much benefit to players in game. And how would rubber be used?

I do really like the pine needle tea idea because it would add to the exploration/ survivability of the colder areas, making living in a cold biome more reasonable / attractive.

I will agree with you that rubber isn't exactly all that useful. Truthfully the civilizations who had it way back then pretty much used it for water-proofing boots and making balls to play their games. (Road to El Dorado, anyone?) The pine needle tea and syrup is really what i am looking at here with a hopeful grin but adding the tree tap would provide a logical way for people who wish to mod the game for further technological advancements to eventually bring rubber into the mix since we have sulfur already and all we're missing is the raw material. I'm not asking for rubber... just trying to point out additional benefits of a tree-tapping mechanic.

Follow me here:

Firstly, this thing I talked about a while back. edible nuts included.

Second thing is what I want to add to the first - since loose rock became an item container rather than a funnly little button block, this can be adapted to saplings respawning. I wanted trees to have bloom and ripe seasons anyway, so during ripe seasons near a trees there could be spawning item containers with trees seeds in them. Such container, once ticked, spawns a sapling (the way I want it - saplings would be a crop and have several stages, but that aside).

Follow me here:

Firstly, this thing I talked about a while back. edible nuts included.

Second thing is what I want to add to the first - since loose rock became an item container rather than a funnly little button block, this can be adapted to saplings respawning. I wanted trees to have bloom and ripe seasons anyway, so during ripe seasons near a trees there could be spawning item containers with trees seeds in them. Such container, once ticked, spawns a sapling (the way I want it - saplings would be a crop and have several stages, but that aside).

Love all that.

So no more breaking leaves to get saplings.

Maybe a way to improve on the forestation thing would be to have to plant the seed on pots like is done now a days. After some time it would grow into what we now have as a sapling and only than it could be planted to grow a tree.

Love all that.

So no more breaking leaves to get saplings.

Maybe a way to improve on the forestation thing would be to have to plant the seed on pots like is done now a days. After some time it would grow into what we now have as a sapling and only than it could be planted to grow a tree.

I like that, my aunt owns a Plant nursery and She plants the trees in pots before they are big enough to go into the field.

What I like most is the idea of having seeds from trees in the form of nuts and cones or whatever.

We already have the code in the game with the fruit trees.

What if we could just right click leaves on the right season to get seeds?

If we could also get some edibles out of that it would be a bonus.

So we only break the leaves when we need sticks.