Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khalkists

A Place to Lay Your Head

12 posts in this topic

The recent changes to Terrafirmacraft have left beds a more advanced item. With planks being inaccessible until you have access to enough metal to craft a saw, we are now forced to huddle in our caves for the dark to pass, never able to sleep.

As such, I thought up a few ideas, better suited to the more primitive life style of the neolithic. All of these beds have the advantage of being usable, regardless of the time of day. At the same time, they are less effective for passing the night than a structured bed, and less comfortable, preventing deep sleep.

More or less, all of these primitive beds function as a fast-forward button on the day. They have their advantages over a normal bed...

NOTE: These beds do not function like the existing bed that we have. They modify the timescale (if possible) or modify the current time in small increments to cause time to pass more rapidly. They are NOT as effective at passing the night as a normal bed, but offer a way to more rapidly pass through the night. This allows the more advanced bed (utilizing fabric and planks) to remain viable for more than aesthetic reasons.

Straw Mat

Simply two pieces of straw, side by side in the crafting grid. When placed, it would look like a thin layer of the thatch that we currently have.

X= Straw O= Empty

_______

|  O | O |

|   X | X  |

The straw mat does little. It modifies the time scale, as to cause night to pass more quickly. During this time, thirst and hunger rates decline slightly.

Bed with Hide

A warmer, more advanced bed made by combining a raw hide and a straw mat in the crafting grid. It looks like a straw mat, with a hide laying across it.

X= Straw O= Empty V= Sheepskin

______

|  O | V |

|  O | X |

The skin bed does about the same as the straw mat, but offers protection from the cold (when climate effects are introduced to TFC) and has a slightly larger impact on the timescale.

Tree Weave- Admittedly, this one seems unnecessary, as we can dig an adequate hole rapidly, but it could serve a minor purpose.

One of the oldest "beds" in the world was simply a thick branch or a tight weave of thinner branches. As we don't have wide, branching trees, our next best option would be the weave. It kept monkeys and early people (who were admittedly, much smaller than we are now)  off of the ground, away from the harm at the floor of the forest.

A protective place to sleep for the more nomadic people. It offers little protection from the elements, and is uncomfortable, so your thirst and hunger rates don't change, but it has the advantage of almost completely hiding you from mobs. While in it, the timescale is modified, causing night to pass more quickly.

To create it, right click on leaves with a knife, while having sticks in your inventory. A number of your sticks will be used, and the leaves will be converted in to a weave.

I like this idea as well as well.

With the sheepskin, I think just utilizing "raw hide" would be sufficient.

I like this idea as well as well.

With the sheepskin, I think just utilizing "raw hide" would be sufficient.

Well, I was looking at the wool content. The skin bed isn't particularly important atm, it would be a mostly decorative feature. When climate effects come into play though, it could be a lifesaver. Seems the standard currently for a raw hide has it stripped of its fur. It would still be better than sleeping on nothing but hay, but a hide coated in wool would be much warmer.

Sheep only spawn in mountains (and hills) currently, so a hide bed might be more feasible.

Sheep only spawn in mountains (and hills) currently, so a hide bed might be more feasible.

Well then, that seems like a good enough reason.

I never really thought about where I see sheep, but I tend to move towards hills and mountains when I start a world, just so I can find a dank little cave to hide in.

Nice idea, remember even using the bed your hunger and thirst are lowered. I often find myself using /time add 12000, which also reduces your hunger and thirst when you use the command, I just make sure I get to a 'safe' spot when I use it.

I like the idea as well. TFC changes a lot of the vanilla mechanics, but some things remain unchanged or inadequately changed.

To balance gameplay a bit, beds can be used to "skip" nights if you so choose to. Nights are dark, and they're dangerous, sleeping gives you a choice and add to the immersion. Frankly, I would feel immersed more if days were longer than 5 minutes, but it was removed from TFC because, if I understood it correctly, introduced conflicts with the vanilla codebase especially (see 77.3 patch notes).

Yet you can currently not sleep anywhere but in a bed. Though I too believe that you could fashion yourself a place to sleep with basic materials. I would even go as far as making it a one-time use, because.. I don't know, the straw would just get uncomfortable. Laying on it a whole night, getting compressed, soaking up all the humidity from yourbody.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you wouldn't run into 5 hostile mobs that pop out at night from under every single stone.

Personally I tried the game with a greatly reduced number of hostile mobs, it felt (and was) still dangerous, but I didn't feel compelled having to sleep, or to hide, to survive. Yet, if I wanted to raise my level or acquire resources, it was life threatening. I actually still died killing a javelin skeleton and normal skeleton near my base, wearing leather armour and looted copper boots >.<

I have to agree.

The game as is now seems rather pointless. Days are boring and during the nights you might as well stop playing if you don't have a bed.

There should be dangers both during the day and during the night. Dangers that are more rare, but more terrifying.

Some basic early-stage sleeping straw mat is a great idea to remove the uneccessary frustration of the night.

I have to agree.

The game as is now seems rather pointless. Days are boring and during the nights you might as well stop playing if you don't have a bed.

There should be dangers both during the day and during the night. Dangers that are more rare, but more terrifying.

Some basic early-stage sleeping straw mat is a great idea to remove the uneccessary frustration of the night.

I wouldn't say these would entirely remove the early frustration, they would reduce it. As it advances time instead of skipping it, mobs would still spawn, meaning rain would still be dangerous, and trees could still house a sun-weary skeleton. It would just reduce the dangers. Less time in the night means less zombies making a bee line towards you.

By now we have a charming looking straw and hide bed you cannot sleep in but resets your spawn, however when/if bodytemp is introduce i have been thinking: Sheepskins with their wool would keep you warmer at night as would fur. the only mobs we have in the world that actively have fur are Wolves and Bears, both very dangerous... Fashioning a bed out of their fur (which would have to be created for the purpose, ofcourse) would be very dangerous, thus not easily obtained, but also quite warm and comfortable! Depending on if it is a thatch blocks bed or a proper bed with a fur cover, they would be more comfortable or less so. Personally I think the recipe of woolcloth on planks sounds uncomfortable, I'd prefer a thrud step added: making father cushions! Say one woolcloth surrounded by 8 feathers, makes one cushion, you need 3 for a bed? Just brainstorming here :) lovely ideas.

I'd love to see furs in any case (should maybe make a suggestion for them officially hah) Either as warmth or deco items..

Bioxx, Dunk, are these sort of things going to be added or considered for the temperature changes?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0