Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mileaos2

thoughts about scavenging

7 posts in this topic

problem with early game is, you cant get that much supplys from scavenging (in regards of food mainly)

i had to plant food quite fast in my actual game and killed some squids to survive the time until the first harvest season.

i found 1 male and 1 female pig and didnt kill them for meat, i start breeding them, but they take a while XD

and flour is above metal.

you could produce some sort of "primitive flour" or so from found grain + stone (maybe 3 grain = 1 flour)

with the jug full of water you get simple dough and you can make bread on a stick or flatbread from it to eat it. (besides meat the best early game food)

first tool:

the most primitive tool should be the hand ax.

this tool just need stone, no sticks.

actual tools are composite tools (need atleast 2 diffirent materials)

and those should need some kind of yarn (i cover primitive yarn later)

metal tools should need 1-2 wool yarn or primitive glue AND wool yarn (glue is covered at the bark section)

fire fuel:

4 sticks = handfull of sticks for firepit

for cooking stuff

water collection:

wooden bowl could be used to get water (only a small amount)

in order to drink or simple cooking/ dough produktion

crop scavenging suggestion:

break tall grass with your hand (should take a few sekonds, faster with knife/ hand ax)

then you have to process your tall grass with an knife or hand ax and you get "grass grain" and straw

grass grain can be grinded to simple flour with an stone (flour + bowl with water = simple dough -> bread on the stick/ flatbread)

or place the grass grain in the crafting grid to search it for usable crops (you cant sow tall grass)

per grass grain you have an chance of, lets say 10-20% to get an random crop seed (wheat, rye, maize and stuff)

root/mushroom digging suggestion:

digging out grass blocks has a chance of lets say 15% (in forest/jungle biomes 35%) of dropping "eatable root" or mushrooms

those roots/ mushrooms can be used for meals or just eating them

placing eatable roots in the crafting grid has a chance of 20-30% to provide an random root - seed like potatoes, carrots, onion and stuff.

bark:

some tree types could give bark (rightclick with an knife/hand ax?)

bark could be used for cork (jug and maybe later something like amphora? and for the glass bottle ofc)

some bark types could be heatet for primitive glue (for composite tools, spears and arrows)

bark could be used for construction (thin walls/roof)

and for fire starting (throw 1 piece to sticks, to increase the chance of starting a fire)

some bark types are eatable

skin uses:

problem with skin is, before you have metal, you have no use for it =/

it could be used to craft some kind of bag for transport/ storage uses (i dont like chests at all in tfc)

skin bags could have the same space then ceramic vessel, but can carry medium items aswell

later on some bigger leather bags could be implemented.

primitive yarn:

primitive yarn from screwing plant fibres could have simmilar uses like wool yarn.

plant fibre could get produced from straw + knife or hand ax

3 fibre = 1 primitive yarn

2 fibre + ceramic spindle = 1 primitive yarn

primitive yarn can be used to craft primitive cloth (use could be cloth bags, very small like 2 slots)

primitive yarn should be an material for stone composit tools (stone + stick + yarn = tool)

wool problem:

my problem is, before you get iron, you have to kill sheeps for wool.

knifes could serve the same purpose

stone knife = 1 wool per sheep

copper and bronze could be cast to a primitive shear = 2 wool per sheep

and iron shears provide at least 3 wool per sheep

and we need more wool uses ofc XD

I like the handful of sticks idea for fuel. Would be great for a quick meal heat-up without having to waste a log. I have way too many sticks with no use. Even after fences and ladders, I am still overrun with sticks!

I like the handful of sticks idea for fuel. Would be great for a quick meal heat-up without having to waste a log. I have way too many sticks with no use. Even after fences and ladders, I am still overrun with sticks!

I think that really any wooden item should be burnable including but not exclusively tools (You would get back their heads)

-Sticks would delay the fire dying, possibly by increasing the heat a little (Provided it is below metal smelting heat) and decrease the heat fall of a little bit for a while (Or something like that, this would also be the case if you have to, for some reason burn you tools)

-Planks would burn hotter and faster then their log counterpart (Small pieces of wood/fuel burn quicker > more heat in less time)

And scavenging should defiantly be improved, not to the point where going scavenging is like going to the supermarket but it need some addons and some depth

I think this is great... When ever people talk about sticks and the TFC way, they say that sticks arn't twigs, they are big straight things that irl would provide at least 10 minutes of fuel for your fire. Thats why i think that sticks should be burnable, and for a considerable ammount of time (maybe the ammount of time a log burns for) and have logs burn time increased also. 

Agreed. Think about it. These sticks are solid pieces of wood from the BRANCHES of trees. :P

Agreed. Think about it. These sticks are solid pieces of wood from the BRANCHES of trees. :P

Exactly, isn't that what you use for camp fires, kinda.

I like the seed bread bit, i have actually tried it IRL. I ground about a dl of timothy grass seeds and baked the dough on a hot stone. It was hard but tasty.