Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pakislav

T1 container: Straw basket.

22 posts in this topic

I've just started a new game and I found it frustrating having found so much stuff, but being unable to store it any way, since I don't seem to be able to create ceramics, alas it takes time to find clay anyway.

So I would like to suggest a new storage solution; a straw basket crafted out of two straw items.

For inspirtaion: https://www.google.pl/search?q=straw+basket&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Yqb&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zgUaUpKENZHCswag04CgCw&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=930

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basket_weaving

Why aren't you able to create ceramics apart from not finding clay? (look for yellow flowers, lots of em near bodies of water, there's quite a lot of it)

I was now, just had to re-construct the entire thing because it wasn't catching fire for some reason.

hm, but should take more than just only 2 straw, but i would love this basket XD

It takes 4 to make thatch and it needs to be craftable in the earliest stages.

So the only reasonable way is to make it out of two. To offset that, it should only be able to hold one stack of items.

It takes 4 to make thatch and it needs to be craftable in the earliest stages. So the only reasonable way is to make it out of two. To offset that, it should only be able to hold one stack of items.

It would make no sense to make a basket that holds 1 stack of items, for that I just carry the item normally. The basket should have.like space for 2 or 4 stacks

I think if wicker baskets are added they should require 8 straw ((It really isn't hard to find straw and its not a construction material so you won't need hundreds of them)) and hold 6-8 slots worth of non-large items.

I dislike the idea of having a really easy way of making almost infinite storage. Maybe hostile mobs should be able to break baskets or as you use them they become damaged and need repair.

maybe 3 straw + 1 yarn = 1 strawbundle

4 straw bundle = 1 straw basket

you can repair damaged straw baskets with additional bundles.

I agree with balancing the basket with smaller internal inventory, but a basket could have the advantage of placing it on the ground like ceramic items to allow an easy, pre-metal tools storage.

I have had cases where clay was hard to find despite how common it's supposed to be. Probably just bad luck with generation. This has been a road block even for proceeding to working with metal tools and resulted in me just starting a new world which was a lot more generous with clay, by the way. Now I just need to find the elusive chicken.

Straw baskets could be block-sized and hold 4 item stacks, like ceramic vessels, thus having 4 times less storage density. It may be able to hold Large items (like Chest), but may be unable to hold Tiny items (since straw basket is not solid, so too tiny items can just fall through holes). It would therefore both allow very early storage and also complement later pre-metal storage.

Agreed with dantedarkstar.

It'd also look awesome.

The issue with early-game lack of storage isn't so much carrying capacity but that until you have working ceramic vessels, there is no way to store most items safely. Unlike in the real world, if you have a large stack of stones and dump them in a hole they won't stay there more than five minutes - in real life that is only true for erasers and kittens.

a good idea in terms of what you can add not only the basket,

but also: backpacks, jugs, some dishes (plates) and furniture, so I'm behind)

Yea baskets! Make them work like chests with smaller inventories. 

maybe 3 straw + 1 yarn = 1 strawbundle

4 straw bundle = 1 straw basket

you can repair damaged straw baskets with additional bundles.

You need a spindle to get yarn, and a spindle is pottery, so by the time you have a spindle, you might as well just go straight into clay vessels.

How about make it with 4 thatch, with 4 slots, but with durability every time you open it, and only can place one per block?

I'd suggest making the recipe 8 straw in the same way as wood planks for chests, placeable as a block like a single chest (but tileable without interference) and the same size. And I'd go for a full 9-slot row, like a mini-chest.

This would give it about half the storage density per block as placed ceramic vessels (or chests), but more accessibility (less fumbling with vessels).

Straw baskets wouldn't have the same food preservation qualities as ceramic vessels, so vessels would still be useful for food storage and smelting.

but to do that, we need a crafting bench. which needs metals, which needs pottery, which means that it doesn't address the issue of having no post-pottery storage

I'd generally be all for standardization of all containers. In some other recent thread it was already suggested for ceramic vessels to be openable by right-click which would require them to behave like chests. I am all for it, including the need for vessels to be placable, whole-block-covering containers, maybe even 3d ones. I would like something the same for straw baskets - not necessarily as pre-clay items (though probably they should be less useful, if only because materials for a straw basket would be readily available and easy to acquire), but an alternative to clay vessel.

To be happy? Because of the fact such containers wouldn't stack as 4 per tile anymore, I'd increase vessel capacity to about 6 items, make basket hold 3 stacks of small items but without food-preservation qualities of clay vessel and make them chest-like items.

Those containers should be worse than chests, that's why still quite limited capacity. But making them easier to interact with and taking need to juggle them around when I need to take an item out and don't remember which of the identical vessels holds it would be very nice.

but to do that, we need a crafting bench. which needs metals, which needs pottery, which means that it doesn't address the issue of having no post-pottery storage

whoops, right.

Maybe a knapping-like weaving interface for straw then?

• placeable storage baskets (9-slot chest)
  • carryable containers (which maybe even expand a player's previously-reduced inventory, the way crafting table expands crafting?)
  • rushlights (what people actually used instead of torches)
  • reed rafts or boats (a real thing back in the day)
  • furniture was a big use, but I'm not sure if that would be useful in TFC
  • etc.?

Wicker has been documented as far back as ancient Egypt, made from indigenous "reed and swamp grasses."[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicker

This is a good idea, however wicker should not be made of straw, but should instead make use of cattails.  One cattails could drop x number of wet reeds that can be crafted into a basket that is dried on the fire pit.

The whole problem is that this would serve the same purpose as the ceramic vessel with a few drawbacks, such as the inability to melt ores in it.  Perhaps you could add another reason to have such a basket, maybe you can put flowers in it a hang it from the ceiling?  I really can't think of anything that you can do with wicker that you can't do with clay.

have a nice little basket that you can put wet things in. and the water actually drips off instead of gathering in a puddle

I really like the idea of  straw baskets. I think it would be important to have it behave like a chest so we could place it but having less slots than a chest. One way to limit its use to justify the clay vessel would it be to what kind of items you can store on it. maybe not food or ores. Clay vessels use to store food as a way to protect against vermin.

Since thatch is so easily harvest we could make it so the clay vessels would not hold dirt or stones so those would need to go on the baskets. 

I think giving it a smaller inventory would work fine, personally without the need to go through all that

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0