Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mayaknife

Where Are The Chickens?

25 posts in this topic

If you've been driving yourself crazy trying to find chickens in the recent releases of B77, you can relax because there are none to be found. It's a bug which is being worked on and will likely be fixed soon. Since animal spawns only occur when a chunk is first generated, you might want to hold off on exploring new chunks of your world until the fix has arrived, so as to maximize your chances of finding the fabulous fowl afterward.

Are sheep in a similar boat?  I haven't seen any sheep in my world so far either.  Thanks for the heads up!

Are sheep in a similar boat?  I haven't seen any sheep in my world so far either.  Thanks for the heads up!

sheep spawn only in mountains (and hills). That shouldn't have been broken with the chickens, as we still determine whether an area is mountainous or not by the biome.

Sheep are fine, just a lot less common than earlier builds.  For me, finding them meant leaving the waterlines and climbing a bit.

0.77.8 is available for download. It contains the chicken fix. I've tested it and at last have feathers! The march of civilization has resumed.

Fantastic!

Are the spawns still occurring in newly generated chunks only?  The patch notes only say that spawns are now in line with the climate system instead of vanilla biomes.

Fantastic!

Are the spawns still occurring in newly generated chunks only?  The patch notes only say that spawns are now in line with the climate system instead of vanilla biomes.

Yes, any chunks which have already generated will, alas, remain chickenless.

I just noticed that I never mentioned that it was Dunk who fixed the problem. My role was limited to whining about it to Dunk. :-)

Okay, where do the chickens actually spawn?  I'm on the latest version and just spent a good hour or two looking for them with rei's minimap.  I too tested 77.8 when it came out and found the birds (though with difficulty), but not so in my latest 77.11 world.

Last I heard they spawn in the forest and there's tons of forested areas but no chickens.  I'm around 2400, -10700.  Is there a latitude/temperature limit or something else esoteric?  I don't mind looking for the birds, but I don't want to spend hours roaming a hemisphere where they have zero chance of appearing.

Alright, so doing a bit more sleuthing, turns out that all the "forested" areas are not actually the forest biome, but tree-heavy plains/high hills/etc.  Looks like I didn't get a forest to gen near me and it's hard to tell exactly which biome is which without using F3.  So I think the question is now, where do forests/jungles generate?  I'm assuming there's a latitude/rainfall/temperature requirement of some sort?

Alright, so doing a bit more sleuthing, turns out that all the "forested" areas are not actually the forest biome, but tree-heavy plains/high hills/etc.  Looks like I didn't get a forest to gen near me and it's hard to tell exactly which biome is which without using F3.  So I think the question is now, where do forests/jungles generate?  I'm assuming there's a latitude/rainfall/temperature requirement of some sort?

Chickens no longer depend on the biome when they spawn. They depend on the climate, so the temperature/rainfall and whatnot. I suggest heading towards the equator, and for whatever reason, they seem to be a bit more common in the southern hemisquare.

Chickens no longer depend on the biome when they spawn. They depend on the climate, so the temperature/rainfall and whatnot. I suggest heading towards the equator, and for whatever reason, they seem to be a bit more common in the southern hemisquare.

Hemisquare !!!

superb!!

Love it!!!

HAhahahah

Is it safe to say this is the growing pains of version 77 at the moment?  The feather is an unavoidable technological roadblock and having such hemispherical scarcity seems like a bug rather than a design decision.

seems to be the same with sheep the only spawn in some lataudes and no where else as for chickens they are a tropic bird but still while they rare they still way more then they should be

it kind of to put it mildly stupid that if you want to live up north you can have a bed but then never get out of the bronze age unless you send some one on a wild chicken hunt 3k to 6k from where your spawn is

it kind of to put it mildly stupid that if you want to live up north you can have a bed but then never get out of the bronze age unless you send some one on a wild chicken hunt 3k to 6k from where your spawn is

I agree. I can understand that if you are going for some 'realism' you would want to but certain animals in certain biomes/enviroments, but holding up technological advancement because you need chicken feathers is a bit much to swallow. As far as I know, birds of some type or another exist in most parts of the world. We got pheasant, wild turkey, grouse, ducks, and goose where I live. Those are the edible birds. Others we have here are eagle, hawks, owls, ravens, crows, and turkey buzzards.  All of these have feathers of some sort. So it just seems odd to make chickens so rare, while not providing an all alternative source of fowl and feather.

Yeah.I'm all for realism but 'feathers' as a resource are not limited to chickens. And yet chickens are the only source of feathers right now. Myself and a friend had to travel stupid far to find a single chicken, it was ridiculous.

And we still have yet to come across a sheep and thus haven't been able to change our spawn area despite living some 4000 south of where we started. If either of us die it's a long damn trip back. We don't want to cheat in some wool to make beds but given that they're so hard to find and there's no alternatives (like feather beds or cotton beds) it seems like the only viable option right now.

I suggest adding in a few more types of birds that drop feathers but not eggs or meat. That way chickens can still be the best option for animal husbandry but feathers won't be incredibly out of reach. These birds would be like deer: hides but no meat. 

I also suggest adding a cotton plant that can be cultivated to act as an alternative to wool for many if not all recipes. Just make it wildly less efficient, so you would need quite a large crop to make up as much cotton as you would get from one or two sheep.Possibly also add an alternate recipe for feather beds (just replace wool with feathers) and maybe even thatch beds (which are just thatch and sticks).

Places to sleep should not be quite as hard to get as they are, so I'm in favor of that. Maybe just make it so that thatch beds can't be picked up and moved. And perhaps have some other penalties associated with them.

Yeah.I'm all for realism but 'feathers' as a resource are not limited to chickens. And yet chickens are the only source of feathers right now. Myself and a friend had to travel stupid far to find a single chicken, it was ridiculous.

And we still have yet to come across a sheep and thus haven't been able to change our spawn area despite living some 4000 south of where we started. If either of us die it's a long damn trip back. We don't want to cheat in some wool to make beds but given that they're so hard to find and there's no alternatives (like feather beds or cotton beds) it seems like the only viable option right now.

I suggest adding in a few more types of birds that drop feathers but not eggs or meat. That way chickens can still be the best option for animal husbandry but feathers won't be incredibly out of reach. These birds would be like deer: hides but no meat. 

I also suggest adding a cotton plant that can be cultivated to act as an alternative to wool for many if not all recipes. Just make it wildly less efficient, so you would need quite a large crop to make up as much cotton as you would get from one or two sheep.Possibly also add an alternate recipe for feather beds (just replace wool with feathers) and maybe even thatch beds (which are just thatch and sticks).

Places to sleep should not be quite as hard to get as they are, so I'm in favor of that. Maybe just make it so that thatch beds can't be picked up and moved. And perhaps have some other penalties associated with them.

Sheep don't live in the warmer climates. If you want to find sheep, go to some mountains farther north. They're not that hard to find :). Chickens spawn in jungles and temperate forests, so you shouldn't have to wander too far unless you live in the far north.

Sheep don't live in the warmer climates. If you want to find sheep, go to some mountains farther north. They're not that hard to find :). Chickens spawn in jungles and temperate forests, so you shouldn't have to wander too far unless you live in the far north.

Define "too far" and "far north".  Depending on how one plays the game (lets say hardcore mode, no minimap), 1000 blocks can be a very formidable distance even if you're just following the shoreline.  In my case, I was at -10000 and I didn't know if I needed to travel 1000, 2000, 5000 blocks south to find chickens.

To Hyena Grin's point, feathers are not exclusive to chickens and feathered birds of some type are present in all except the most extreme terrestrial climates.  It feels really strange to have to spend hours, many in-game days, and traveling many kilometers looking for something that in the real world is considered a very commonplace item.  A different kind of challenge to acquiring feathers might be to make the birds harder to kill instead of to spot.  Something that requires hunting skill, or making a bird trap.  Right now, you just have to get lucky and stumble upon the bird.  That's not skillful, just time-consuming.

Seriously don't think they're working as intended.  I did a thorough exploration of several different mountanous areas in one world recently and came across a grand total of 7 sheep. Then I headed south looking for chickens, and found just one rooster.  In all of this time, while I saw several pigs, I never saw a single cow.  I really, really think there's a spawn bug somewhere still.

Since we are talking about other animals now, I have not found cows in my world and ive been all over the place. Are cows even in the game?

Cows have really tight spawn parameters and it is being fixed.

I think there is interesting duality. You either find cows, but no sheep. Or you get sheep, but no cows. I was in are with tons of cows, but absolutely no sheep. 

Our server recently launched an airship expedition across the equator in hopes of finding a breeding pair of chickens in the southern jungle.No chickens, or evidence of chickens, was ever found.

I did find feathers once though early in my career, halfway up a mountain north of the equator. It looked like a chicken had spawned and immediately died. There was also a claimed sighting of a live chicken well within the habitated continents a few days ago but an elite team of tactical chicken-hunters found nothing and the incident is suspected to be a hoax. On our server, chickens belong in the same mysterious league of cryptozoological beasts as the Tibetan yeti and the creature known as the bear. 

ya'll fapping cryn' babies!!!!!!

Chicken ease Chicken heaven!

TFC plains in cold weather!!

Travel around bein' patient

entity radar doin' what meant to!