Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aliceingame

Early metallurgy problems and potential solution

8 posts in this topic

One of the biggest issue right now with metallurgy is the metal temperature. We have some occurrence of strange behavior that defy logic.

- Vessel containing molten metal have no temperature value
Right now, you can fill a vessel of metal, store it and use it when you want. People should only smelt what they are planing to use, or re-heat their metal in a forge and/or kiln pit. As a vessel can contain a lot of metal, it could retain heat for a longer time, but cool over time. Bioxx fixed, it, they cool down after 10 minutes.

- It is possible to unmold liquid ingots
I know that the crafting recipe can not give heat value unless you re-code the crafting system... then just put back the unmolding process of the ingots on the anvil. As you can do nothing with ingots without an anvil, I don't see why it would be a problem. If you want to keep it simple, make the rule 1 hit only (and put the maker to be valid for any hit), and get a way to give back the empty mold. Players would only need to pay attention to the amount of metal they melt before getting their first stone anvil.

- When worked, refined iron bloom 200% cool down
There is no items that cool down when worked, you can weld ingots, turn them into sheets, and they stay hot. I don't see why they should cool down.

The second problem of metallurgy is casting tools. Casting in general only have two problems

- Casted tool head need only one ingot worth of metal
I think it would be important to find a solution to this as the forged weapons required twice the amount of metal. One of the option would be to put intermediary items in the process, but it could be better.

- You need to poor metal in mold then in tool mold.
I know that coding the vessel to poor metal into mold can be hard... but, let's think about it, why not add a new block. The casting table. Made of clay, in a table pattern on the grid, the casting table gui have one slot on top for the vessel, once the vessel is placed, the gui show the metal inside. Just under, you have the output slot where you can put the ingot or tool mold, that would slowly be filled (with increasing damage value, like the vessel to mold or crucible to mold idea). That could solve the weapon head problem, giving 200 points to be filled.

There could be an upgraded version of this table, made of fire clay for example (and/or other expensive material), that would have 3 to 5 output slot. It would not fill all of them at the same time, but one after the other. It could increase the productivity of the poring process. And the final thing could be the possibility to put a crucible full of hot metal on top of the casting table to poor metal from the crucible into the molds in the table.

Sorry but I disagree about the casting table. But I agree with you about the iron bloom. I also do not understand why tool molds break after used.

The reason that refined iron blooms cool down when worked is because you are splitting it into two separate items. In order for the items to stack, they have to be cold.

The reason that refined iron blooms cool down when worked is because you are splitting it into two separate items. In order for the items to stack, they have to be cold.

Isn't heat a metadata/'damage value'? (Same as what makes coloured wool apart) as far as i know if the meta data is the same then they can stack (they would both cool down at the same time as they where "created" at the same time) how ever how to make the metadata carry over to the stack.... i dont know anything about that.

(heat is a metadata right?)

I don't think one should be able to cast swords at all, so that would solve that problem.  Maces make a little more sense to be cast, though.

Basically, if you want weapons and armor, make an anvil.

I agree on the mold breaking, I imagine having to smash open the mold to retrieve your tool head to be necessary(maybe even add that in, combine the filled mold with a hammer in the crafting menu and you get the metal piece out).

Frankly, I don't see the point in the fact that I can't pour metal directly in the casting mold. Allowing "direct" casting would be able to solve some of the problems outright, like requiring 200 units to cast a blade.

And I thank you, aliceingame. for giving me a brilliant idea. I will post it once I think it through all the way.

Frankly, I don't see the point in the fact that I can't pour metal directly in the casting mold. Allowing "direct" casting would be able to solve some of the problems outright, like requiring 200 units to cast a blade.

And I thank you, aliceingame. for giving me a brilliant idea. I will post it once I think it through all the way.

The reason that "direct" casting isn't implemented is because not all metals are castable, and the checks required to see if casting is valid is much easier and cleaner to do with the mold, instead of trying to add another aspect to the vessel. It isn't as simple as just switching out tool molds for the regular molds in the code.