Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mileaos2

stoneage, copperage, bronze age way to fast (modified)

34 posts in this topic

okay
this suggestion is all about increasing the time needet for the next age.
(stone -> copper -> bronze -> iron -> steel)

bronze to iron to steel is good as it is now, but stone to copper to bronze is way to fast.
last time i skipped most of stoneage and copper enterly.
i just started with bronze tools, never made any copper one, cuz u need lesser copper for bronze tools XD
and i dont even mined any stuff, just picked it up :)

the basic idea is, to restrict materials in lower ages.

in each higher age, the ways of obtaining those materials get easyer.

stone -> copper age delay

wood = metals

it should take a while, until you are able to harvest wood.
first earlygame tools shouldnt need sticks
just knapping and done. (like hand ax, my 4th attempt to suggest the hand ax XD )
harvesting tall grass/ leaves should take longer and a bit faster with tools like hand ax/ knife
while harvesting tall grass, you have an chance for "plant fibres"
3x plant fibres = simple yarn (with ceramic spindle later 2 fibres = 1 yarn)
stone tools should need sticks, the head and some kind of string (simple yarn or wool yarn)
erase the stone shovel and add an "primitive shovel" out of sticks and yarn and an improved wooden shovel out of logs.
collecting stones with ur hands could provide a chance of finding flint (relative often) and obsidian rocks (relative rare)
knapping with flint/obsidian provides flackes (small pieces for tool/weapon improvements)
flint/obsidian can be knapped to the same tools like normal stone
flint/obsidian tools last longer than normal stone tools
axes should be only knappable from flint/obsidian

and reduce the amount of spawning clay deposits and the sice

only a few biomes should spawn clay

flint axes hold 1-2 trees, obsidian axes 2-4

stones at the surface shouldnt drop any ores when picked up with bare hands.
using a hammer provides a chance of finding copper ores. (same ore finding rules, like now)

summary:

reduced clay spawns

creation of composite tools take more time

need of hammer to find copper ore in surface stones

harder to make axes, so you have an restricted wood production

wood = pottery/ metal casting

copper -> bronze delay

first suggestion: bronze should need a different kiln.
ill uploaded 3 pics in the attachemends. one is the mc idea
in tfc like this:
walls out of raw stone or stone bricks 2 blocks high.

at the bottom is the control block (in the picture shown as vanilla brick block)

the control block should need 8 copper sheeds.

place a block of 8 charcoal inside the oven (like in the bloomery) and throw your ore per q on top of it

lit the controlblock and place ceramic mold (or an ceramic vessel by larger amounts) infront of the control block.

when the oven is done, the bronze will get filled in the molds/vessels automaticly.

stones at the surface shouldnt drop any ores when picked up with bare hands.
using a hammer provides a chance of finding copper ores. (stonehammer basic chance)
using a propick provides a chance of finding tin, zinc and bismuth ores.

summary:

special bronze smelting oven, which need copper sheeds
zinc, bismuth, tin ores in surface stones need propick to find

post-290-0-61413200-1392981576_thumb.jpg

post-290-0-92391100-1392982171_thumb.png

post-290-0-22391500-1392982403_thumb.png

Edited by Mileaos2

tl;dr

Formatting is your friend. I can tell that you have some worthwhile suggestions, but it is very poorly organized, making it difficult to read.

I'm afraid I must disagree. The thing about terrafirmacraft is that progression speed is largely based on chance. In my current single-player world, I've been stuck in the bronze age for about one default in-game year. Now, you never specified what you consider 'too fast' or 'longer', but that, for me, is a pretty reasonable amount of time for just now being on the cusp of the bronze age.

You've got a couple of good ideas here, but nothing that makes a coherent whole -- just a bunch of suggestions cobbled together without a whole lot of thought as to how they work together or fit in with the mod as it is now.

kay, i modified my post, so its more clear what i want to say.

I've been stuck in the bronze age for about one default in-game year. Now, you never specified what you consider 'too fast' or 'longer', but that, for me, is a pretty reasonable amount of time for just now being on the cusp of the bronze age.

You've got a couple of good ideas here, but nothing that makes a coherent whole -- just a bunch of suggestions cobbled together without a whole lot of thought as to how they work together or fit in with the mod as it is now.

well

"to fast" is, when you can skip the copper age enterly and alot of the stone age (basicly i collect enough tetra, sphal and bis or tetra/cass and directly start with bronze tools)

i just needed stone shovel, axe and knife.

the time between bronze and iron age is okay (like i pointed our allready in my start post)

and i worked out my ideas for some days allready, but i postet them on the fly before going to bed.

they should delay the copper and bronze age strong enough

materials, which are hard to obtain in stone age are simpler in copper age

materials, which are hard to obtain in copper age are simpler in bronze age

and so on.

I... actually agree

As do I. I atarted my seed 4 days ago. I have now found hematite..... After mining for 2 days irl time to find iron....yeah.

I completely disagree!

I want my copper pickaxe. And bronze is good being smelted in pit kilns. And the rest.

Whether you find copper early or not is pure chance. Ive been playing since build 50-something (I think) and only one of my worlds has copper. Its complete chance. You need a copper anvil to work Bronze tools, Right? what happened to that? You need 16 copper ingots to make the anvil, and finding ore veins is challenging, if not maddeningly difficult. Doesn't that take up a lot of time? And meanwhile, while you collect the ore needed for that, you should be trying to find a proper food source and making enough coal, all at the same time, as well as making a proper night-time shelter. I don't know, that seems like a lot to be doing at once, especially as Neolithic Steve with terrible stone tools.

And you know about straw, right? instead of plant fibers? Besides, I don't think yarn made of dried grass can stand up to much abuse. leather straps are more suitable to that, no? Or maybe a form of tallow-y glue or rice glue to secure the tool heads.

You need a copper anvil to work Bronze tools, Right? what happened to that? 

You no longer need a copper anvil to create bronze tools due to the new casting system. The copper anvil is only required for welding the bronze ingots for making the bronze anvil.

Whether you find copper early or not is pure chance. Ive been playing since build 50-something (I think) and only one of my worlds has copper. Its complete chance. You need a copper anvil to work Bronze tools, Right? what happened to that? You need 16 copper ingots to make the anvil, and finding ore veins is challenging, if not maddeningly difficult. Doesn't that take up a lot of time? And meanwhile, while you collect the ore needed for that, you should be trying to find a proper food source and making enough coal, all at the same time, as well as making a proper night-time shelter. I don't know, that seems like a lot to be doing at once, especially as Neolithic Steve with terrible stone tools.

And you know about straw, right? instead of plant fibers? Besides, I don't think yarn made of dried grass can stand up to much abuse. leather straps are more suitable to that, no? Or maybe a form of tallow-y glue or rice glue to secure the tool heads.

leather = barrels = planks =metals

and i never had problems with finding any copper and tin/zinc/bismuth ores.

und a starting shelter is quite fast build

btw plant fibre yarn was the first yarn used for tools and cloth!

I have been searching for Tetra across 5 stone layers and found 3 bits, so I vehemently do not agree.

No copper pickaxes? No way I'm letting you remove them!

Been playing since the beginning of TFC, The age progression is fine as it stands right now. even vanilla minecraft craft is based on luck to decide if you got anywhere above stone tools. There have been worlds where i was stuck in stone age for (in game) months, simply because i couldn't get any copper (tin for days but not an ounce of copper). The flip side is I also have worlds where I spawn on top of a freaking copper field where everything is copper.

Stone picks are removed because you can't mine stone with stone (that's not always the case with picks out of harder rock against soft types of stone, but then coding sense comes in). What reason we have to remove copper picks besides "I want it harder"?

Besides the Egyptians, Hebrews, Ethiopians, Japanese, Chinese, ... basically everyone (except the south american cultures, they like obsidian) used copper before the discovery of bronze and even after. copper was a simple metal that was easy to smelt and could be picked up off the ground.

One of the reasons bronze discovered way later as I see it: the fact that mixing bronze with softer metal will make something harder than both, is not a particularly obvious thing. I have discussed related things on these forums already, which indicates that.

my main purpose was to delay the upgrade between copper and bronze age, because i never use copper tools, because ill pick up enough cass for bronze produktion

the pickaxe removal was just a random idea and maybe a bit off.

the first post is modified!

i added a new idea for the bronze oven (similar to the bloomery)

Well, I like the idea,

Don't know about stone-copper-bronze being too fast, as I only play in one world, and still no bronze.

But I think the best way would be to add another age, not make the stone age longer.

A 'primitive' stone age, using sharpened sticks, and chipped stones and such.

Not much you can do, not much blocks you can break, surviving will be the key point here, and attempting going up the tech tree without first getting a good food source and safe base would be hard, if not near impossible.

Then, a 'advanced' stone age, using the tools we have now.

The 'advanced' stone tools could be made with sticks, a tool head, and some plant fiber.

Instead of finding plant fiber from grass(which would not be very strong) there should be a plant like hemp or flax to get the fibers from.

You would be able to get clay and wood and such from this age forward.

Surface ores should be covered in dirt/stone, so you need to 'clean' it before usage(maybe like knapping, but using a chisel?)

Instead of needing 8 copper sheets(that's 16 ingots, plus 14 for the anvil, plus how many you need to make that bronze), what if you needed to smelt bronze in a crucible? That would mean you need to use copper till you find graphite and kaolinite, and make a quern

uhm, i erased the suggestion for no copper pickaxe and yes, i know, 8 copper sheets are 16 ignots and 14 for the anvil

but to go from bronze to iron, you need 8 DOUBLE sheets of bronze

and 30 copper ignots to start with bronze is doable, you need just one native copper or tetrahydrite deposit and you have enough ore for that

Well, I like the idea,

Don't know about stone-copper-bronze being too fast, as I only play in one world, and still no bronze.

But I think the best way would be to add another age, not make the stone age longer.

A 'primitive' stone age, using sharpened sticks, and chipped stones and such.

Not much you can do, not much blocks you can break, surviving will be the key point here, and attempting going up the tech tree without first getting a good food source and safe base would be hard, if not near impossible.

Then, a 'advanced' stone age, using the tools we have now.

The 'advanced' stone tools could be made with sticks, a tool head, and some plant fiber.

Instead of finding plant fiber from grass(which would not be very strong) there should be a plant like hemp or flax to get the fibers from.

You would be able to get clay and wood and such from this age forward.

Surface ores should be covered in dirt/stone, so you need to 'clean' it before usage(maybe like knapping, but using a chisel?)

Instead of needing 8 copper sheets(that's 16 ingots, plus 14 for the anvil, plus how many you need to make that bronze), what if you needed to smelt bronze in a crucible? That would mean you need to use copper till you find graphite and kaolinite, and make a quern

I actually like the idea of adding a primitive stone age with sharpened sticks and chipped stones, but if you can get sticks and stones, what would prevent you from just skipping it and make a stone axe out of it? What would be the borderline between the 'primitive' and the 'advanced' stone age?

I do like the idea of stick less hand tools. Would make survival in the arctic a bit easier. But really, how would you prevent people from taking their sharpened stick and their stone hand ax and putting them together

I actually like the idea of adding a primitive stone age with sharpened sticks and chipped stones, but if you can get sticks and stones, what would prevent you from just skipping it and make a stone axe out of it? What would be the borderline between the 'primitive' and the 'advanced' stone age?

Like I said, the 'advanced' stone age would need some fiber to tie the heads to the sticks.

You would need to find the needed plants(flax/hemp) to make the fiber, and you would most likely need to do a lot of searching before you have enough.

I think it would also help if we had more dangers, both day and night. So until you have enough weapons(sharp sticks and stones shouldn't last long), you most likely will not survive a trip out to gather the needed amount of flax/hemp. So until you have plenty of weapons, food, and a place to rest, you would have a hard time going up the tech tree.

well, you can create yarn not only from hemp/ flax, you can create simple yarn from nettels.

or senew from animals.

and even in the copper age, stone was often used, cuz copper was hard to obtain

and some tools/weapons could need primitive glue (from heatet bark)

such as arrows for example

i do believe something needs to be done on my recent world i spawned in with malchite literaly on the ground infront of me gathered 9 pieces and found a casserite within 20 minutes i had a bronze pickaxe it really does seem like copper just can get put by the wayside if you find the right things. My suggestions is having somekind of research or something that youed have to work on to make gaps between the metels it woudlent be something hard to do where youed spend hours working toward bronze, itd be more like oh iv found copper and tin now if i put my new copper and tin ingots on a table and have paper or something id be able to figure out some multiblock structures that would allow for bronze alloy and once those are built which would require copper tools then id be able to move to bronze tools. It would remove the right off the bat bronze tools chance and make it nessisary to stay and work on copper along with shelter and food.