Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zandorum

Harsher Winter

35 posts in this topic

A new food storage system could a good way to get food decay, fresh food and stored food being different items both can't be stored inside chests or vessels.

So lets say we put our food in barrels, when you put a full stack of food in a barrel,

it gets a "damage meter" in the GUI full, this damage meter decays with time,

if you take stored food from damages decay

new fresh food added to the barrel replenish decay

If you put stored food back in a barrel it does damage to decay

as if

Fresh food put in a new barrel

1/64

(decay bar max = 64fresh food in a new barrel)

If you take stored food of a barrel it damages the decay bar like

-0.75/64(or like % filling of decay bar/64)

If you add fresh food to a barrel it replenish decaing bar just a bit more than taking damages

0.76-0.80/64

if you add stored food to a barrel it do damage to the decay

-0.50/64 (heavy damage, to avoid exploiting mixing fresh and stored food for eternal food)

and probably the meal table should not store food anymore

we'll have to write down the recipes like everyone! 

Wooden troughs for grain/straw and water would need to be added. Animals do get hungry, I've read that they eat grass when they do get hungry. When wild and domesticated animals have a clear difference, domesticated ones should eat from troughs instead of grass. I'm not sure if chickens are too mentally incapable of going to troughs... I always saw them as goofy little things.

I live on a ranch and know that anything will eat from almost any surface you put the food on. Chickens eat from troughs, you need them to keep the coop tidy(ish). The chickens will kinda pick it up and sling it if they don't just down it in a gulp, so the floor still gets messy, but oh well, the troughs keep the food from being on the nasty floor they poop all over and keeps them from getting diseases and the chickens really don't care where their food goes, they smell it, they'll find it, and they will eat it there.

Troughs are a nice idea I like that, you can scatter your grain on the floor, but once you get resources you want a trough to keep the disease on the down low.

this with: buthcery, and food spoilage : 

a big cellar with snow and ice to make food do not spoil....

would be great!!!

I think Don't Starve had a good approach to food spoilage.  Different foods spoil at different rates and are kept in stacks.  The entire stack has a decay value and adding a new food item takes the average of all the food quality values.  You can game this system somewhat by adding fresher items to a stack just to keep it from spoiling, but that only lasts so long and you get diminishing returns as your stack gets more rotten and has more items in it.

It isn't perfect, but man, it can make the winters challenging in that game.  You really have to prepare to survive.  I'm not sure how involved it would be to code that particular mechanic, but it would certainly be better than what we have now, in my opinion.

I'd honestly just like to see it become possible to get cold and eventually die without warmth. Different armors could have different values for slowing the decay rate of your warmth. Heat sources would add heat to the nearby environment at a rate modified by the ambient temperature (If the environment is very cold, you will not warm up as quickly at a fire as if it were not as cold). So for example a torch may provide some warmth but when it is very cold out, being near a torch may just halt or slow your warmth decay, and not actually improve your warmth.

It may be possible to program it such that if a source of heat is beneath another block then it gets a bonus to warmth, and if there is a block next to the fire then it gets a bonus to warmth (reflected heat), thus making shelters warmer than open air fires. That said it would be somewhat easy to game by simply building a 'cap' onto a fire to get the maximum amount of heat out of it without actually being in a shelter, but there might be some other way to detect shelter

Anyway, just another idea. There's already some good ones in here.

As said earlier, Hyena Grin, love your ideas. And hate you because I didn't get to say them first.

"As said earlier, Hyena Grin, love your ideas. And hate you because I didn't get to say them first."

Not only does he mention them first, he manages to express them very well. When I come up with stuff I just sound like an idiot because I can't explain it eloquently.

I'd honestly just like to see it become possible to get cold and eventually die without warmth. Different armors could have different values for slowing the decay rate of your warmth. Heat sources would add heat to the nearby environment at a rate modified by the ambient temperature (If the environment is very cold, you will not warm up as quickly at a fire as if it were not as cold). So for example a torch may provide some warmth but when it is very cold out, being near a torch may just halt or slow your warmth decay, and not actually improve your warmth.

It may be possible to program it such that if a source of heat is beneath another block then it gets a bonus to warmth, and if there is a block next to the fire then it gets a bonus to warmth (reflected heat), thus making shelters warmer than open air fires. That said it would be somewhat easy to game by simply building a 'cap' onto a fire to get the maximum amount of heat out of it without actually being in a shelter, but there might be some other way to detect shelter

Anyway, just another idea. There's already some good ones in here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe heat levels should vary with light levels (in some cases). First off there is automatically a hotter at day and colder at night situation, not depending on what you may do to create artificial heat. And the there are seasons (And latitude, maybe altitude?), which also greatly modify the overall heat, not mattering any artificial situations. Alright, now, if it is possible, make it so that summer has the sun straight overhead, giving off more light, as such, more heat. In winter the lighting level would be similar to what it is now in rainy/thunderstorm situations, with cloud cover not allowing mobs to burn up in the sun. This would also be colder, considering there is less light, and if in a snowy biome/latitude, it will be even colder. Campfires give off heat and light (maybe they should be slightly boosted, for balancing issues, giving off a LOT of heat, considering they can melt metals, and a bit more light), as such, keep you warm. Torches can still give off light (a good amount), but barely influence the heat level. Clothing and armor also influence body heat level (Body heat and environment temperature are two different values on the F3 screen), but these require that you get some initial heat by a heat source, as they retain heat, not create it. Oh, and maybe the presence of cold blocks such as snow or ice reduce heat levels, but melt in higher heat levels (Doesn't really fit in if you're planning on building an igloo, but oh well). The heat level bar inside the campfire GUI would also be an indicator of how much heat the campfire is giving off.

Summing it all up, there would be certain factors and conditions that modify heat levels, some more than others (such as season and latitude). Campfires and torches would all be external heat sources, and these influence you only if you are close to them (the closer you are, the hotter it gets). As such, it should damage the player if he walks over the red hot coals of his campfire, making surrounding yourself with campfires at night an actual practical defense (if you can keep the fires fueled all night). Fire was actually a method of defense against wild animals, just imagine the ring of glowing eyes peering at you from outside the ring of fire, slowly getting closer as the fire dims in a certain spot (White Fang style!).Once again, just a jumble of disorganized thoughts that pop into my mind as I write, hope you can make any sense of them, feel free to criticize.

I expect most of my ideas were already stated by someone in this or any other thread. I take no credit for any unoriginal comments.

Implementing heat and cold and how it influences the player would be a major way of making winter and possibly even summer more dangerous. The player could have a heat bar, much like his hunger and thirst bars, that could influence his performance and could range from extremely cold to extremely hot. What the player wears and his environment could influence this bar toward one end or the other.

For example, if you walk around in the cold without any protective clothing, such as leather armor or potentially woolen clothing, the player's temperature gets colder, but wearing such clothing in hot weather will raise it. Building or lighting a campfire can help stay warm in the winter, especially if you constructed a shelter around it, but hanging around your forge all day might raise your temperature too much. Other actions and environments could help mitigate heat during the summer such as wading or swimming in pools or resting in the shade.

Having your temperature reach either extreme end could end up damaging you as if you were suffering from hunger or apply slowness or other debuffs. The closer you are to the cold end will drain hunger more quickly while the closer it is to the hot end will drain thirst more quickly.

I expect most of my ideas were already stated by someone in this or any other thread. I take no credit for any unoriginal comments.

Implementing heat and cold and how it influences the player would be a major way of making winter and possibly even summer more dangerous. The player could have a heat bar, much like his hunger and thirst bars, that could influence his performance and could range from extremely cold to extremely hot. What the player wears and his environment could influence this bar toward one end or the other.

For example, if you walk around in the cold without any protective clothing, such as leather armor or potentially woolen clothing, the player's temperature gets colder, but wearing such clothing in hot weather will raise it. Building or lighting a campfire can help stay warm in the winter, especially if you constructed a shelter around it, but hanging around your forge all day might raise your temperature too much. Other actions and environments could help mitigate heat during the summer such as wading or swimming in pools or resting in the shade.

Having your temperature reach either extreme end could end up damaging you as if you were suffering from hunger or apply slowness or other debuffs. The closer you are to the cold end will drain hunger more quickly while the closer it is to the hot end will drain thirst more quickly.

Body temperature (at least the basic system) should be implemented in build 78