Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zandorum

Harsher Winter

35 posts in this topic

I feel like I can get through winter way too easy, Winter should be the time you must prepare for and be afraid of. What I propose is that Passive Mobs stop spawning until winter is over, hostile mobs do not burn in sunlight due to an overcast, its slightly darker and Ice is not breakable without a pickaxe in which you will get an item called Ice Chunks which you can put into a Camp Fire with a Jug, Bottle or Bucket to fill it with Water but note that a Jug is 3 Ice Chunks, a Bottle is 1 and a Bucket is 2 meaning Jugs and Buckets will get a Durability bar meaning they cant be used in any crafting until you fill them as well as dependent on how much is in the jug it will take more or less thirst.

Whats everyone think?

I think its a good idea. Winter should be a hell of a struggle the first few times around. I would also add negative effects if you go out in extreme temperatures unprotected. Not sure how they would implement it but getting frostbite and potentially dying from it would be awesome. On the flip side the devs could just increase the rate at which you lose thirst when you go out on hot days. 

I also think that falling through ice should be a possibility and if you get wet you should be far more susceptible to the negative effects of being cold.

Agree. Right now (at least for me) it's like eat veggies at summer, and at winter kill your 2000 animals that dont need to be fed and are an OP food source.

It would be a lot of fun, at autumn, you would need to gather fruits, nuts, grain and veggies into cellars, make cheese, smoke meat and fish and candy, jelly, dry and pickle to the point of absurdity.

P.S. has anyone read the Brambly Hedge books? The illustrations are amazing!

Yeah it doesn't really feel like winter to me yet.

winter should be harsh, with snow and ice, no crops growing etc

in my last world i didnt even noticed it was winter

i checked calendar and it was late summer, next time i checked was early spring and i was like: "wtf? didnt even noticed"

well, in one of my last tfc server, i actully had snow in winter and rain in summer, so it actully works, but most of the areas seems to have too high temperatures, so it cant drop under the freezing temp.

so everything far enough away from equator should have quite some temp diffirence. from -20 in winter up to +30 in summer

and the normal spawn should be in one of those areas

I'm pretty sure crops already don't grow in winter. Don't quote me on that though. But yeah, I would like the monsters staying in day time thing. :)

from -20 in winter up to +30 in summer

Just like in Finland.

As it is in Canada. WOW the temperature range in Toronto. :P

also, going into water in the winter should damage you, seeing as you're swimming in freezing water

ice shold also be thinner tiles on top of the water, and have a chance of breaking when you walk over them, to make frozen lakes dangerous to run around on

Food spoilage. nuff said

How without making food unable to stack. nuff said.

Hmm... maybe.... yes. Think you have something like, let's say, 10 fresh apples. You add one little soft and gnarly and fermented and wormy apple there, all apples become bad. Why? Nobody wants to eat and apple which is covered in lumps of spoiled apple and smells bad.

OR the degradation values could be a combination of the joining stacks value.

What of a possibility of a harsh winter (7/10 in a moderate climate maybe) and if you are in a warmer climate, nothing more really happens, as goes for the colder climates... good luck. I like Ktrey's idea of falling ice, seeing icicles cover trees and overhangs would look cool too.

How without making food unable to stack. nuff said.

yeah, seeing as right now, killing like 3 cows will get you a stack of steak, which will last for like, ever, and only take up one spot in your inventory, juuuust a little OP

food decay is difficult, which is why animal populations were decreased, to help make meat harder to come across.

food decay is difficult, which is why animal populations were decreased, to help make meat harder to come across.

It still comes in large stacks.

- leaves will disapear or at least will stop droping samplings and sticks, so you are forces to make suplies of them.

- maybe trees will drop less logs? you stockpile wood for winter not in the winter

- add slowness if you move on snow (you cant run in deep snow), maybe new item snowshoes made from sticks and string/leather. if you wear them you dont get slowness

- more wolfs, its hard to find food in winter and you got that cattle on one place :)

- add small random deaths for animals (less food, cold, illness...)

- make firepits forges etc to consume more fuel (effect like rain on firepit)

- if it is possible change ratio of daytime and nighttime

- grass stop spreading

- ice, can be break by pickaxe, has chance of disapear if you stand on it of jump on it (like vanila farmland turning to dirt)

- swiming in water add slowness

- not cooked food will not saturate so much, only cooked

- hunger will decrease faster

now that is scary winter :)

It still comes in large stacks.

That's to counter balance the amount of time it takes to breed animals. If it takes 7 in-game months to breed and raise a cow and it only drops a few bits of raw meat, it wouldn't be worth it.

- leaves will disapear or at least will stop droping samplings and sticks, so you are forces to make suplies of them.

- maybe trees will drop less logs? you stockpile wood for winter not in the winter

- add slowness if you move on snow (you cant run in deep snow), maybe new item snowshoes made from sticks and string/leather. if you wear them you dont get slowness

- more wolfs, its hard to find food in winter and you got that cattle on one place :)

- add small random deaths for animals (less food, cold, illness...)

- make firepits forges etc to consume more fuel (effect like rain on firepit)

- if it is possible change ratio of daytime and nighttime

- grass stop spreading

- ice, can be break by pickaxe, has chance of disapear if you stand on it of jump on it (like vanila farmland turning to dirt)

- swiming in water add slowness

- not cooked food will not saturate so much, only cooked

- hunger will decrease faster

now that is scary winter :)

Not bad, but what are you going to do when spring rolls around and wolves have overpopulated and you have a nearly broken game. These animals don't spawn like vanilla, once they are gone, they are gone. Also hunger decreases fast enough, I don't want to start in a cold climate, take it slow and don't get metal before winter and now I only have the food I got with javelins, bad play on your part, but...

... what are you going to do when spring rolls around and wolves have overpopulated and you have a nearly broken game ...

true, i guess it will be strange if they start to disappear in spring

That's to counter balance the amount of time it takes to breed animals. If it takes 7 in-game months to breed and raise a cow and it only drops a few bits of raw meat, it wouldn't be worth it.

Data is stored without being express, right, like with firepits, because it'll only show itself when you open the GUI, right? So why don't you make meat have a chance of turning it into meat every day after a threshold, and whenever the player opens the chest/container, the rotten flesh drops out in the world? The meat would stay meat until the player opens the chest, and the meat that would've turned into rotten flesh wouldn't turn into rotten meat until the container is opened, so there wold be no stacking issues? I don't know if that's beyond java script, but think about that?

That's why animals would need to be fed and given drink. Right now raising cattle is more passive than agriculture. Poultry is way too OP without the chikens needing a few bits of grain a day.

That's why animals would need to be fed and given drink. Right now raising cattle is more passive than agriculture. Poultry is way too OP without the chikens needing a few bits of grain a day.

Wooden troughs for grain/straw and water would need to be added. Animals do get hungry, I've read that they eat grass when they do get hungry. When wild and domesticated animals have a clear difference, domesticated ones should eat from troughs instead of grass. I'm not sure if chickens are too mentally incapable of going to troughs... I always saw them as goofy little things.

Wooden troughs for grain/straw and water would need to be added. Animals do get hungry, I've read that they eat grass when they do get hungry. When wild and domesticated animals have a clear difference, domesticated ones should eat from troughs instead of grass. I'm not sure if chickens are too mentally incapable of going to troughs... I always saw them as goofy little things.

well for cheekens you could just scatter some grain on the floor for them to peck at