Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Deathbytac0

Want to come back - help me find computer parts

9 posts in this topic

I have been gone a lot, mostly because of my laptops inability to game. Help me choose computer parts that rock and fit my budget.

Budget: $1750 (this is gonna be tough)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ~$130

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K ~$250

RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3-1600 ~$120

GPU: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 SLI ~$500

Sound: onboard

HDD1: Intel 335 SSD ~$200

HDD2: WD Caviar Blue (7200rpm, SATA III) ~$75

CD/DVD/Blu-Ray ROM:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ~$60

PSU:

CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper TX-3 ~$25

And Windows 8 +$100

$1460 We are doing good, now lets see what we can ramp up. I may end up a little high in the end put as long as the main parts don't go too far over we are looking good.

I need help getting substantial parts though, all this can be changed. If I need to invest an extra $100 in an i7, so be it, but that i5 is a monster.

dude, TFC doesnt require that high of a budget at all, im rocking this on a windows 7 AMD 4250 HD internal vid card with 4 gigs of RAM ddr2, on a core i5, nothing special XD just dont go throwing your settings into the crazy zone

but if you do want to game, that thing is a wet dream for any gamer XD

dude, TFC doesnt require that high of a budget at all, im rocking this on a windows 7 AMD 4250 HD internal laptop vid card with 4 gigs of RAM ddr2, on a core i5, nothing special XD just dont go throwing your settings into the crazy zone

but if you do want to game, that thing is a wet dream for any gamer XD

I have some serious troubles with it. I have win7, Intel Pentium T4400 (POS), the worst internal video card put in laptops in about 2009, and 4gb RAM

My video card is made for giving you a pretty, crisp picture on your screen, and that it does well, but rendering it cries and putters about and I get 4fps on about anything. Having a Pentium doesn't help, it's the last of its kind and I have no clue to why they used it in this computer.

I need a power supply and a ROM drive still, then I can do work.

Still $1750 is a whole freaking lot, my new desktop only cost about $600 and i can run, among other things, TFC perfectly fine

Still $1750 is a whole freaking lot, my new desktop only cost about $600 and i can run, among other things, TFC perfectly fine

Do you want to see what I can make with $3000?

I need a new computer for all sorts of stuff work, games, games more demanding than TFC, plus I'll make it last a long time and then build another in 10-15 years if I want. I set a budget for $1750 I can make it happen, I just need the other parts that will get me more bang for my $1750 or hopefully less.

$~1500 is a good amount to build PC out of. That'll last three years at least, without much of a problem. That's from my perspective.

Now, wadda you want me to say?

$~1500 is a good amount to build PC out of. That'll last three years at least, without much of a problem. That's from my perspective.

Now, wadda you want me to say?

I was going for $1500, but I went a little higher mostly for the 760s SLI. I need a ROM drive, power supply, and maybe revise my parts like my motherboard, if it has features I don't need and there is a lesser one with everything needed for the other hardware. I won't change the GPUs or HDDs and the CPU is probably fine. That would be about all I need help with.

Also I can make it last longer than 3 years and still stomp some modern ones, update your hardware every few years and it will run fantastic. You may end up with a whole new setup in a few years, but everything you have on it is the same because it's ported, that's how you play it smart (clutter is somewhat of a problem though).

Asus Z87-K doesn't look like it supports SLI. So there's that.

Far as power supply unit goes, 500W should be enough. Though I'd recommend something a bit meatier, like 550W or 600W. Just in case.

ROM drive... I mean, is it even necessary now? I guess, it kinda is, but I don't think there's much to think about - whatever spins will be good.

Asus Z87-K doesn't look like it supports SLI. So there's that.

Far as power supply unit goes, 500W should be enough. Though I'd recommend something a bit meatier, like 550W or 600W. Just in case.

ROM drive... I mean, is it even necessary now? I guess, it kinda is, but I don't think there's much to think about - whatever spins will be good.

Oh... Thanks, that would have been bad. I was looking at 650Ws, Antec has the next TruePower series coming out soon I think and they look like they'll be fairly cheap and efficient. I may get a IDE-SATA adapter (can you say SLOW) and use my old ROM drive and get one later, there is some stuff I'll need it for right off the bat.

So... Motherboards. Asus, Z87...