Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
HunterKain

Shipwright Steve

18 posts in this topic

Whether it's my terrible luck, or it's the code, but my ore veins are always far away from each other, even if they're on the same shoreline. Walking back and forth is a huge hassle. What would make it easier? Boats. Log canoes had been used by native Americans up until the 1800's, well within TFCraft's time window. A dugout canoe for transport through a river or in ocean shallows would be a useful thing to have early-game.
Making a dugout canoe.
Tools needed: Adze, support beam
Adze: can be made only from metal, and needs leather straps in recipe. The tool head of an Adze is at an unusual angle, soot needs a better attachment.
Scribing Adze Head Plan
Leather straps (makes 2)
OXOXO
OXOXO
OXOXO
OXOXO
OXOXO
Crafting a canoe
1. Place three to seven logs (not log piles) end to end, lining up the cut faces of the block
2. Place vertical support beams, like so
(X as support beam, O as logs)
3. Right click the logs with an Adze to confirm the size of the canoe. breaking any of the blocks will make the entire structure fall apart. Attempt to break each log with Adze. Block will not break, but the bark will be shaved off
4. Make a firepit in the center log until a depression appears. The fire will go out when the pit is made. If the canoe is longer than 3 blocks, another depression can be made to seat another player, in SMP, but only the front-most player can control the canoe
5. Attempt to break the bow and stern blocks and the canoe tips will be shaped
6. Dig out the blocks below that canoe so that water flows underneath it.
7. Right click with an oar to add an oar to the canoe. Oar recipe: one plank above two sticks
8. Canoe finished! Row around to your heart's desire
Notes:
Canoe controls are the same as the vanilla boat
Moving and turning the canoe will take hunger (rowing oars takes strength)
The canoe will not break when it rams into land
Fishing rods do not cast when you are in a canoe. Casting would tip over the boat on real life.
To be rowed, canoes need water at least two blocks wide and two blocks deep.

Canoes are good and all, but what if you need to transport things? Or maybe you want a platform to fish on? Or maybe the seashores around are too shallow for canoes. A raft solves all of these problems

Making a raft
1. Place log piles (one log I each pile) in a 3X3 pattern one block high. The raft can also be 5X5
2. Right-click with an Adze to establish the size of the raft
3. Craft enough leather straps, one for each log pile. Place one leather strap and one wool yarn in the crafting grid to get one lashing
4. Right click each log pile with the lashing in your hand to bind the logs together
5. Craft rafting pole:
6. Right click raft with a rafting pole.
7. Dig out the blocks under the raft so that water flows under the entire structure
8. Raft-pole around to your heart's desire

Notes: 
When fully constructed, chests, crafting tables, logs, plank blocks, and scribing tables can be placed to the front, back, left, and right of the center of the raft. If a block if placed to the front, one must be placed to the back, to balance the raft. The same with left and right. Those blocks can also be placed in the center.
Rafts move slower than canoes and are harder to handle
The player must be within one block of the edge of the raft to control it. (The raft has to be poled around)
The raft can only travel in water 1-4 block deep. (The raft pole isn't infinitely long, and you need to be able to touch the river or ocean bed)
You can fish on a raft
Torches can be placed on the top of the raft without needing to balance it

Rafts 2.0
I don't REALLY think we need this, but I guess some people would like it. Wind power. An arrow would have to be put in the HUD to show the wind direction. the arrow would change color to show wind strength, white, green, yellow, and red, from weakest to strongest. A sail would help in moving rafts. A sail would eliminate the need to use up hunger while piloting the raft. Also, with a sail, a raft could be sailed in deep water. A steering oar would be needed. And pole holders would allow for multiple poles to be cast at once, making fishing a little easier. So lets dive head first into rafts 2.0. 
Sails
To make a sail, do this (I used a blaze rod instead of a bone needle): 
 To make a bone needle, put a bone into the quern to grind the bone to a point.
Masts 
To equip a raft with a mast, you need 4 vertical support beams and 2-4 horizontal ones. Place the vertical support beams in the center of the raft, and the horizontal ones to the sides of the mast so that the horizontal support beams stick out to the sides of the raft. The horizontal beams must be as wide as the raft is. Right click each horizontal support beam with a sail in your hand to rig it. The raft will move with the wind. Right click each sail with a lashing in your hand to roll up the sails; the raft will not move with furled sails
Pole-holder and Oarlocks
Here's the recipe for the pole holder ( I used Nether Wart instead of a Leather Strap:
 Pole-holders can be placed on the edges of rafts. A cast fishing rod can be placed in the pole holder by right-clicking it. The player can then cast another rod.
Oarlocks are made by putting a pole-holder and an Adze in the crafting grid. It is placed at the back of the raft in the center, like so
An oar has to be placed in it by right clicking. Once placed, the raft can be directed in any direction other than directly against the wind. The steersman needs to be within one block on the oarlock to steer it. This only works on rafts with sails on them. 
That's my views on a TFCraft Naval Expansion. I think it would be cool if the devs would put some of this in. (Also if we could make steam-powered ships and galleons, but TFC's time window ends in the 1500's and Galleons are unnecessary). Hope you guys had fun reading this post.

hm, nicely worked out post :)

well i would love to see this implemented!

maybe some kind of nets for fishing?

but before i release a new storm of fishing suggestions:

afaik there is allready a new fishing system planned XD (atleast i remember an post regarding fishing from dunk i beleve)

You sir, are badass. I look at the title and think oh god, look at the post and think oh god... and think it's a fantastic idea!

I wish water could wave and surge so you could have an amazing sailing experience and a really good challenge. I like this a lot better than crappy vanilla boats, being made in a mod the handling could be reworked and I will be a happy seafaring cucumber/llama.

Amazing suggestion, I love games with sailing and boats, and this suggestion proposes it to a degree that isn't too technologically advanced to feel out of place. Only one suggestion: I think the dugout should be able to be made in the stone age(native americans had dugouts didn't work metal), having in mind that support beams need a saw to be constructed. 

By the way, love the fact that the way you craft the vessels is using multiblocks, since it doesn't make much sense to magically slap things together in a tiny table in a floating square grid(not that GUIs can be done without, but I always thought they were an immersion breaker, and I personally treasure games that don't make use of many onscreen GUIs and GUI-like inventories). (To the Devs: Please add more multiblock structures and crafting!!)

All in all, capital post there there mate.

You've obviously never fished out of a canoe.

You've obviously never fished out of a canoe.

No, I haven't, it's true. I just wanted a definite advantage to making a raft as opposed to making a canoe. Rafts are more expensive.

I'd rather see a seafaring option for the stone age, actually.  One of the biggest issues for a public TFC server is what to do about getting newbies far enough from spawn to get started on the server.  I've just been giving people a couple boats in a starter kit, but I'd prefer a solution within TFC that doesn't involve people getting free stuff with no effort required.  

Also it would be nice to be able to chip off rocks from one of the boulders found everywhere.  That would solve the other main issue with getting started on a public TFC server.  

I'd rather see a seafaring option for the stone age, actually.

I checked online and stone Adzes are a real thing. That's the hand-ax knapping pattern:OOOOOOOXOOOXXXOXXXXXOXXXOMaybe it can be used to make one or two planks per log? (For the oar recipe) The main use is to place the hand-ax above a stick and some straw in the top gives you a stone Adze.The support beams can be replaced by fenceposts.Stone Age enough?

As long as we can make some sort of boat before finding metal, then yeah.  Stone Age enough.

EDIT: Wait, no.  Fence posts require a crafting table, which needs metal now.  

As long as we can make some sort of boat before finding metal, then yeah.  Stone Age enough.

EDIT: Wait, no.  Fence posts require a crafting table, which needs metal now.  

Oh my freaking god. So many limits now... any block in place of the support beams?

Oh my freaking god. So many limits now... any block in place of the support beams?

Pretty much anything made out of wood is out...  Maybe just use sticks?

Do we really need supports, though?  What do they even do?  Surely a felled tree of sufficient size isn't going anywhere, right?  

A seemingly simple replacement for vanilla boats to increase believeability: Alter them slightly to appear like a raft, crafted with some logs and rope.  Then, have a "stave" tool that, when clicked on a block, propels the raft away from that block, at a speed inversely proportional to the distance to that block (more power in shallow water).  Just don't push off into water too deep for the stave to reach!  Maybe the normal controls could remain as well, but very slow.

In the mean time, has anyone created more difficult, custom recipes for the Small Boats mod?

A seemingly simple replacement for vanilla boats to increase believeability: Alter them slightly to appear like a raft, crafted with some logs and rope.  Then, have a "stave" tool that, when clicked on a block, propels the raft away from that block, at a speed inversely proportional to the distance to that block (more power in shallow water).  Just don't push off into water too deep for the stave to reach!  Maybe the normal controls could remain as well, but very slow.

In the mean time, has anyone created more difficult, custom recipes for the Small Boats mod?

Crap. Sorry, I removed all the pretty pictures when the post got 3 pages behind. I can re-upload them if you like

I think this would be a simply brilliant idea! I'd love to see this added to the game. With a certain level of efforts from the kind developers, as well as their support of the idea I could definitely see this happening. It is quite a problem when I end up having to walk and swim thousands of blocks to find even a single pebble after I start a new server, or die, or decide to have a new start. The ability to walk out of spawn, make a boat (Much effort required of course) and, sail away to a new untouched land would be extraordinary!

I'm reviving this because I find that this idea is way to awesome to be passed out. I understand that I'm reviving a thread and that coding this will be a hassle indeed (or not) In fact might not even be possible at all.

Who needs wood?  We have tons of straw/grass about...

Posted Image

Actually, as long as it floats and you can get enough of it together to keep you floating as well, you can make a boat out of it.

So technically speaking, even lily pads or empty barrels can be used to make a boat