Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sting_Auer

Regarding Powder Kegs:

22 posts in this topic

After some testing with them, I have come to the conclusion that powder kegs are too powerful as they stand. It's not necessarily that the explosion itself is too powerful, rather its its implementation. These following (hopefully simple) changes should alleviate this.

1.) Decrease the rate at which a powder keg fills with gunpowder

2.) Make gunpowder only produce 1 per craft instead of 2 Scratch that, sulfur is apparently much rarer than I had thought.

3.) Increase the delay between redstone charge --> explosion, and add the ability to defuse the keg before it explodes by right clicking it.

These changes are mostly for the benefit of competitive multiplayer servers, in which the ability to create an enormous crater with such ease tips the advantage extremely in favor of the attackers. This may just be my preference, but powder kegs should maintain their current strength, but be made more difficult to utilize in a combat situation.

What's with all these suggestions lately that people are only suggesting because their specific server would benefit from it?

What's with all these suggestions lately that people are only suggesting because their specific server would benefit from it?

The difference is that this wouldn't benefit my specific server, but rather all servers that have a competitive aspect ;)

i think that added fuse time is a good idea because the current fuse time requires you to extend the single or risk getting killed by the blast. I do not think that reducing the recipe output is a good idea. The recipe is pretty shit as is for how much gunpowder is required and how limited sulfur is.

i think that added fuse time is a good idea because the current fuse time requires you to extend the single or risk getting killed by the blast. I do not think that reducing the recipe output is a good idea. The recipe is pretty shit as is for how much gunpowder is required and how limited sulfur is.

Is sulfur rarer than I'm thinking it is...?

I've always thought that sulfur was hard to find, but had tons of it and was fairly easy to find the next part of a chain when you found a pocket.

EDIT: Wow, apparently the knowledge I had on sulfur was completely incorrect :l. Disregard what I said about the gunpowder recipe.

Sulfur isn't found in the rock... kind of. You find it at the edges of lava pools in caves and stuff, just lying on the ground.

The rarity of sulfur alone is enough to balance it out. I've found a ton of it and still only have enough for a single keg. It's incredibly rare -- it's only found around lava pockets, and I've encountered vast expanses of lava lakes without a trace of sulfur. Not to mention, the prospector's pick can't be used to find it. If anything, I think it needs to be balanced in the other direction by making the recipe for gunpowder yield 3 instead of 2.

First every one complains that powder kegs aren't worth it. I increase the blast radius, now they're too OP. They were a bit rushed, so I'll see if I can make it possible to defuse them.

Fixed. Longer fuse and ability to defuse.

How long will the fuse be? Also how would we go about defusing it? lol

How do you even fit 4 stacks of gunpowder into a barrel that size?  

I'm playing around with the idea of making a gunpowder fuse.

You place it on the ground just like redstone dust, lite it with your firestarter, watch it burn and smoke, .. BOOM :)

I'm playing around with the idea of making a gunpowder fuse.

You place it on the ground just like redstone dust, lite it with your firestarter, watch it burn and smoke, .. BOOM :)

That was the original plan, but in the end I decided that redstone would be more useful for players, as it can be activated by pressure plates, buttons or levers. If you wanted to use it for a trap, you can't expect someone to go around lighting fuses for you.

To answer the other questions, the fuse time is 3 seconds, and you can defuse the barrel with right-click. Try to hide your barrel if you don't want people to defuse it.

First every one complains that powder kegs aren't worth it. I increase the blast radius, now they're too OP. They were a bit rushed, so I'll see if I can make it possible to defuse them.

Fixed. Longer fuse and ability to defuse.

Also, I want a pony.

That was the original plan, but in the end I decided that redstone would be more useful for players, as it can be activated by pressure plates, buttons or levers. If you wanted to use it for a trap, you can't expect someone to go around lighting fuses for you.

To answer the other questions, the fuse time is 3 seconds, and you can defuse the barrel with right-click. Try to hide your barrel if you don't want people to defuse it.

howabout we make it so that redstone can ignite the gunpowder trails, seeing as it is (loosely) an electrical current, and that would solve the issue with traps and the like

Question have I young Skywalker.... Do the powder kegs destroy ore and coal? If not (and I hope not) they would be superb for breaking out large ore bodies like coal. The combat use is fine but the ability to use them on an industrial basis would be both accurate and interesting. Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

My bet is they are destroying just as much blocks as normal TNT/creeper exposions.

Thanks for the reply but I was hoping that someone knew whether it destroyed ore (btw I think your correct Transcengopher). Anyone know for sure out there?

they don't seem to destroy any of the blocks they break. Creates quite a mess, but gives 100% returns on the blocks destroyed. <- pretty sure

Cool! Thanks Dunk.... this is good news to me.... I think.

"Pretty sure" is not "certainly".

There's only way to find out - place vanilla cobble structure and count blocks before and after the explosion.

Hate to ask but would it be possible to make powder kegs explosive effect depend on how many stacks of gunpowder you use? The blast radius with 4 is pretty devastating making it inappropriate for industrial use. I reckon a bout a 1/4 of the blast effect would be useful in breaking out large ore bodies.

It usually doesn't work like this, barrel should be completely full of powder to blow up. To lower the blast power we use phlegmatizers.

It could be paraffin, ceresin, stearin or some oils, like camphor oil or olive oil (latter not really, but it's the only oil I can think of as available in TFC).

It's actually good to not just have powder-stuffed barrels for mining, but phlegmatized powder kegs that don't require more materials, but more varied materials to build and use. Maybe normal non-phlegmatized powder keg should destroy blocks leaving just some on the ground, in this case.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0