Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Glass

On the Kiln and Ingots

13 posts in this topic

Unless I am missing something, is it currently impossible to re-fire ingots in the pit-kiln?  Soft metals, of course.  Surely if the kiln is hot enough to smelt the ore, it should also be able to melt whatever ingots result.  No?  Ingots can fit back into the same clay vessel they came out of, even back into their mold, but re-heating them does nothing.  They're just as cold as they went in.  

Is this some sort of design oversight, or is this on purpose?  It's awfully frustrating to have made a sizable mound of ingots only to find out they're wholly useless without a forge.

The kilns only work on the smelted metals, ingot functionality just hasn't been added and I see no reason why it should be. Just use forge.

The vessel also acts as a storage device. Not everything that will fit in the vessel was meant to be put in a pit kiln so you will have to use a forge. If it worked and you were to use a pit kiln, it would turn the ingots back into liquid since it is a timed process, no way to interrupt it when the metal is at working temperature.

Turning ingots back to liquid metal is the result I need.  "Because there is something else that does the same thing" isn't a very good reason to neglect implementing a rather obvious, and useful feature; as some of us enjoy having piles of ingots lying around.  For ease of access, or even just aesthetic purposes.  It's silly that copper melts just fine out of a rock, but a bar of it is impervious to heat that isn't belting out of a pile of charcoal.  Pre-iron, every operation, save re-melting ingots, is do-able without charcoal.  It's a design choice that's questionable at best.

I too was confused why copper in a ceramic ingot mold could not be remelted in a kiln. Should make the rule consistent.

I support remelting of ingots in clay vessels. If pit kilns are hot enough to have copper running out of vessels when initially smelted, they're hot enough to remelt copper bars, or any other metal that are initially smelted there. Otherwise, it breaks believability.

I was going to say what Wyrmofvt said. It doesn't make sense that you could use a pot and a kiln to smelt ore into an ingot but not be able to remelt the ingot itself.

Also isn't the smelting temperature lower when a metal is in its pure form rather then when it's a ore?

I was going to suggest the exact same thing but then I noticed this thread, so I thought I'd just post my support here instead.

As to those who say "just use the forge" - there's probably a reason why some people want to re-fire their ingots in a kiln, namely that they haven't progressed far enough to have a forge.

Same functionality should be extended to tool heads/blades as well.

Creating a forge is relatively easy. The first couple cobblestone blocks i mined i used for an open forge. When i started building a proper "base of operations" then i created a full forge with a chimney out of brick blocks.

Ingots have been added to the exception list so you won't even be able to place them in vessels anyways.

For me in the world I spawned, finding chickens and their feathers is extremely difficult if not impossible, and to this point I have been unable to to create a scribing table and plans to use in the anvil. I have a decent stockpile of copper ingots, but tried to melt a few down to create tool heads but found out this doesn't work with the ceramic vessel in the pit kiln. I've figured out now that you can melt them into their liquid form if you keep empty molds in the forge, but for a time, I relied on using new ores to replace my tools. But just because I CAN use it doesn't mean it should be my only option.

I already knew tetrahedrite and native copper would melt in the vessel and expected copper ingots would too which is a logical assumption that I learned was wrong. At least for the sake of making sense, copper, bronze, and which other appropriate metal ingots should be meltable in a pit kiln. I don't expect this to be too difficult: just add these ingots and their resulting metals to the list of ores that already work (if this is in fact how it works).

For me in the world I spawned, finding chickens and their feathers is extremely difficult if not impossible, and to this point I have been unable to to create a scribing table and plans to use in the anvil. I have a decent stockpile of copper ingots, but tried to melt a few down to create tool heads but found out this doesn't work with the ceramic vessel in the pit kiln. I've figured out now that you can melt them into their liquid form if you keep empty molds in the forge, but for a time, I relied on using new ores to replace my tools. But just because I CAN use it doesn't mean it should be my only option.

I already knew tetrahedrite and native copper would melt in the vessel and expected copper ingots would too which is a logical assumption that I learned was wrong. At least for the sake of making sense, copper, bronze, and which other appropriate metal ingots should be meltable in a pit kiln. I don't expect this to be too difficult: just add these ingots and their resulting metals to the list of ores that already work (if this is in fact how it works).

That isn't how the system works. Basically, the way its coded and the recipes that it handles can only do ore pieces, and not "smithed" items such as ingots or tool heads or sheets.