Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gotheran

Wood Working/Carpentry Table

5 posts in this topic

I kinda feel like the Crafting table is a nuisance to deal with and is pretty easily an almost alien item in most of TFC, and I would think it entirely plausible to replace it with a special crafting bench like a carpentry table, based on plans instead of the 3x3 crafting grid.

Here are some screens of possible plan recipes for various items made of wood.

Door

Posted Image

Fencing

Posted Image

Fence Gate

Posted Image

Stairs

Posted Image

Barrels

Posted Image

Basic Table(to make things like a metallurgy table, or just decoration)

Posted Image 

Bed Base(for another suggestion)

Posted Image

To counter not having a writing desk to make the plans to make a writing desk, lol, you'd write your first plans on some raw stone, right click some paper on the stone with a feather in your hotbar and you get a similar, or the same plans UI. And another thing to make it so you're not just slapping random planks together with apparently your hand sweat as the only adhesive, you could make a generic metal nail, made of any meltable metal poured into a "nail" tool mould, which would make 24-48 nails per mould or per 100 units of liquid metal. Each recipe would have it's own relative nail/plank requirements.

some thoughtful critique, wood nails are a thing. They function by drilling a hole into both halves of the wood that are to be bound together. Following this, a peg is created that is a fraction larger then the holes. this peg is then hammered into one hole, occasionally with some extra wood binding glue(but not always), then the remaining half of the peg is placed against the other hold. finally the two sections of wood are hammered carefully in place to form a single object.

or thats what it is in a nutshell anyhow.

wooden pegs and/or adhesive+peg in favor of metal nails.

My understanding is that the scribing table is going to be phased out, though I don't know what will take its place.

That said, this is an appealing idea.  Metal nails might make for more efficient recipes than wooden pegs, too.

Mortise and tenon joints are a form of 'nails' too, and they're made with wood

About the Scribing table being phased out? It can still be used for mapmaking. If that sounds cool-ish

I rather like the scribing table, I'd hate to see it go. And I advocate metal nails so botched up alloys can be used for something pretty generic, and just as a touch necessary tech to balance things out so you can't jump into wood working in the stone age, TFC is about believability not realism, so a generic metal nail works to make it so you need to have advanced to a metal age to begin advanced woodworking, which I do believe fits a sort of anthropological history of technology, which is what Dunk&Bioxx have been going along for the most part.

And ECC, early pre-metal age adhesives were mostly waxes, honeys, mud and other "sticky" substances, glue is a relatively recent invention, as I and I'm sure Dunk has mentioned countless times before, it's believability not realism.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0