Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Moress

TerraFirma+ : Animals & Carts

77 posts in this topic

And if this was the case, then winter should have significantly less animals spawning.

Currently the seasons have nothing to do with animal spawns. Animals spawn only upon initial chunk generation, and which animals spawn is determined by the average climate of the chunk.

AllenWL I haven't really touched on hostile mobs because I know that they're being redone soon, So I'd rather wait and see what changes, then post based on that.

Unless something comes up in my head that's really cool this thread will more or less remain as is. Maybe with the occasional wild animal thrown in here and there.

Posted episode 4, adding some new behavioral additions here soon (hopefully)

I like most of what has been sugested here.

my 2 cents is to add more animals before adding races of the same animal.

so if a dev decides to work on these suggestions, please add goats before you consider adding diferent kinds of horses.

This is mostly a rough outline and I may add or remove some of these as I go. There will probably be an easier method of discerning what an animal's values are, and a way to keep track of them.

I was just reading though this thread and this was something that struck me. Perhaps name tags could be used to keep track of animal traits? Made by crafting a brass sheet and string (or jute fibers) it would allow for right-clicking the animal to bring up a GUI of the tag that displays all useful information instead of simply giving the gender in chat. Right clicking a tame animal with tag in hand would apply the tag, in the tag GUI there would be an option to remove it from the animal. 

why goats?

For a different source of dairy goat milk and cheese.

I think there should be 'wild' variations of each animals that cannot be bred or 'tamed', like pheasants(more or less a stand-in for chickens). A temporary way to get certain animal products without actually finding the said animal.

Goats can be the 'wild' variations of cows

The wild variant of a cow is called a Auroch, and I suggested a similar system for the horses, but the developers have said that domestication was once a thing, but had been since removed. (This was with plants, but I could assume the same goes for animals)

The wild variant of a cow is called a Auroch, and I suggested a similar system for the horses, but the developers have said that domestication was once a thing, but had been since removed. (This was with plants, but I could assume the same goes for animals)

That's a completely different topic entirely. By "wild variant" they were implying a "wild" mob (can't be bred) that has the same general purpose as the "domesticated" one (can be bred).

For example, pheasant's obviously aren't the literal wild variant of chickens, they're two completely different birds. In TFC however, pheasants are considered the "wild variant" of chickens because they serve the same purpose as chickens (feathers) but they can't be bred.

They were suggesting goats be this kind of wild variant in that they serve the same purpose as cows (milk), but you can't breed them.

Oops, I should have reread the post. I like the idea of more "wild" animals, but being that Goats were one of the first animals to be domesticated by humans, maybe something else would be appropriate?

I like the idea of domestication but I don't think it should take more then one generation.

In Real Life you can raise a lion and not having it attack you on sight.

Is this the same as domestication in the full sense of the word? No.

But it only takes one generation for dogs to be wild again if they are not raised by men.

So for game-play purposes if you can capture an animal and breed, their offspring should by definition be domesticated.

People raise snakes. (disgusting) do you think there is any genetic domestication on those snakes ?

If you get a baby animal in most cases you will be able to domesticate then.

I also think it would be easier to code then having to slowly curtain aggressiveness on several generations.

That's a completely different topic entirely. By "wild variant" they were implying a "wild" mob (can't be bred) that has the same general purpose as the "domesticated" one (can be bred).

For example, pheasant's obviously aren't the literal wild variant of chickens, they're two completely different birds. In TFC however, pheasants are considered the "wild variant" of chickens because they serve the same purpose as chickens (feathers) but they can't be bred.

They were suggesting goats be this kind of wild variant in that they serve the same purpose as cows (milk), but you can't breed them.

Ah yes, I guess I haven't expressed my intentions with animals in recent months (to you, kitty or the community :P) sorry about that.

To clarify: pheasants are a wild relative of the chicken, as opposed to a variant. 

Animals that can be domesticated will have a "wild variant" that acts and looks different than the domesticated version. The key difference between the two is that a relative mob behaves similarly and serves a similar purpose, but a variant is actually based on the same entity class. In this case, wild and domestic chickens will be able to breed with each other and domestic animals will only be obtainable from their wild counterparts. Pheasants and chickens are not able to breed with each other.

Aurochs are planned to be introduced as a dangerous wild cow, but they will not spawn along side the current cows as chickens and pheasants do (geographical separation aside) and instead will be the source of domestic cows, able to breed with them. Domestic cows produce more milk and don't try to kill players when attacked or startled. 

As you might have guessed, the wild-domestic separation serves multiple purposes: to make early hunting more dangerous, to provide a reward for selective breeding among your animals and to eventually provide livestock that don't want to gut the player.

I like the idea of domestication but I don't think it should take more then one generation.

But it only takes one generation for dogs to be wild again if they are not raised by men.

So for game-play purposes if you can capture an animal and breed, their offspring should by definition be domesticated.

People raise snakes. (disgusting) do you think there is any genetic domestication on those snakes ?

If you get a baby animal in most cases you will be able to domesticate then.

I also think it would be easier to code then having to slowly curtain aggressiveness on several generations.

And I think you're confusing 'domestication' and 'taming'

To put it in a slightly complicated way: 

Domestication (from Latin domesticus: "of the home") is the process whereby a population of living organisms is changed at the geneticlevel, through generations of selective breeding, to accentuate traits that ultimately benefit the interests of humans.[1] A usual by-productof domestication is the creation of a dependency in the domesticated organisms, so that they lose their ability to live in the wild.[2] This differs from taming in that a change in the phenotypical expression and genotype of the animal occurs, whereas taming is simply an environmental socialization/behavioral trait; the process by which animals become accustomed to human presence

If you get a baby, you are in most cases able to tame them.

If I go back in time and get a baby whatever it is dogs descended from, I will most probably be able to tame it.

But never in a million years will I be able to 'domesticate' it and get dog

And I think you're confusing 'domestication' and 'taming'

To put it in a slightly complicated way: 

Domestication (from Latin domesticus: "of the home") is the process whereby a population of living organisms is changed at the geneticlevel, through generations of selective breeding, to accentuate traits that ultimately benefit the interests of humans.[1] A usual by-productof domestication is the creation of a dependency in the domesticated organisms, so that they lose their ability to live in the wild.[2] This differs from taming in that a change in the phenotypical expression and genotype of the animal occurs, whereas taming is simply an environmental socialization/behavioral trait; the process by which animals become accustomed to human presence

If you get a baby, you are in most cases able to tame them.

If I go back in time and get a baby whatever it is dogs descended from, I will most probably be able to tame it.

But never in a million years will I be able to 'domesticate' it and get dog

My words:

The key is game-play, right now it takes a year to breed and raise a cow into a adult animal. So even as I agree that we should not be able to go to a wild auroch and milk it I dont think it should take 3 or 4 generations before we can milk a cow. depending on world seed or if playing on a server sometimes is already hard to get animals. Believe me traveling 1000 blocks on a server (without sleeping) twice so you can get a male and a female is hard enough. So for balancing one generation is enough.

But that's just my opinion. There is no right or wrong here you are entitle to your point of view

Well, it looks like I didn't get what you where trying to say.

Well, sorry about that. I got a bit confused.

and true finding animals is often more trouble then it's worth(I got a pair of sheep after a long time and the female decided to suicide on the raspberry bushes. Really, they should at least stay away from dangers....)

But then, once you get a pair, breeding them is quite easy.

I mean, I got a pair of sheep once on a server, and I'd breed them, then they'd give young in around 1~2(real-life) days, so in less than week, I'd gone through a good 4~6 generations.

While getting the animals initially is hard, breeding them is really easy, and if it takes one generations, it will have nearly no effect on the gameplay for animal care won't it? It'll be near-identical 'taming' the 'wild' animals we have now. Just find them and breed them.

I mean, I got a pair of sheep once on a server, and I'd breed them, then they'd give young in around 1~2(real-life) days, so in less than week, I'd gone through a good 4~6 generations.

While getting the animals initially is hard, breeding them is really easy, and if it takes one generations, it will have nearly no effect on the gameplay for animal care won't it? It'll be near-identical 'taming' the 'wild' animals we have now. Just find them and breed them.

I don't know exactly how long is the new pregnancy for sheep but I think is close to one in game year.

So suppose after exploring a lot you finally get a couple of cows (male and female) you have to wait one more year after breeding then and only if you had the luck of having a female cow to have milk. if you got a male you going to have to try again for a female.

What I was proposing is the parents remain wild only the offspring is considered "domesticated" ( please note the quotation) remember you cant get even wool from wild sheep unless you kill it.

remember you cant get even wool from wild sheep unless you kill it.

Do you mean after this suggestion is implemented? Because right now you can get wool from wild sheep by just right clicking them with a knife, there is no need to kill it.

Sorry bed wording I should have said You could not even get wool.

Yes I was referring as after this proposal is implemented.

So, wild animals are useless unless 'domesticated' at least once.

Now add that with a more advanced genetics system, and that would make animal breeding a lot more fun

So, wild animals are useless unless 'domesticated' at least once.

Now add that with a more advanced genetics system, and that would make animal breeding a lot more fun

Wild animals won't be "useless", but if you try to kill them, they'll get pissed off and try to kill you back. You can probably still shear sheep etc, but they'll grow wool more slowly, cows will give less meat and produce milk less often, pigs will be vicious, etc.

Domesticating isn't as easy as just breeding two animals. You have to find out which animals are less aggressive (not easy when starting out but there IS a way to do it that's already been discussed with Bioxx) and then after that, the resulting baby has to pass a series of checks (through out its adolescence) for nearby players to decide that it's comfortable around people. If you can manage this, you can get a domesticated animal. Breeding that animal with a wild animal won't guarantee you a domesticated baby, so you'll probably have to keep your genetic line clean. Once you get a breeding pair, you can start making animals that are a lot easier to take care of.

Something of note is that individual animals will have different characteristics that make them better or worse at certain things. Docility is the primary trait when getting domestic animals, but others may give much more useful animals. 

I was referring to this post(s)

So suppose after exploring a lot you finally get a couple of cows (male and female) you have to wait one more year after breeding then and only if you had the luck of having a female cow to have milk. if you got a male you going to have to try again for a female.

What I was proposing is the parents remain wild only the offspring is considered "domesticated" ( please note the quotation) remember you cant get even wool from wild sheep unless you kill it.

Sorry bed wording I should have said You could not even get wool.

Yes I was referring as after this proposal is implemented.

The idea posted here is that 'wild' animals give no products(no wool. no milk, etc) and must be bred once to 'domesticate' and have them produce goods

I like the complicated version better though

For all I read on dunks comments I think is the more complicated version that will be in the next update.

I liked a more simplified version but I will welcome the challenge.

is this an actual add-on as well or just a thread for hypothetical things to be added? cause if it actually exists i would love a download link. ^_^