Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Moress

TerraFirma+ : Animals & Carts

77 posts in this topic

1. There is something here I don't like. Regarding goats, why adults should be unable to follow grain? The reason animals follow food is because they find it delicious, or they are just hungry. And, I don't get the part of why they jump up to 1.5 blocks tall, if that is implemented like that, they will be able to jump over fences.

-

2. Regarding horses, why should they flee so fast from the player? I don't think horses flee that fast, even if they could.

-

3. Regarding pigs, boars aren't really aggresive, do they? They should be more neutral.

-

4. But I like the rest, including the plows and wagons. And to make plows useful, tilled dirt could return to normal dirt after each harvest. (Exception would be harvesting tomatoes/bell peppers via rightclicking. And with those cages I will finally be able to transport animals easily. (Yayyy!!!! Animal trade!!)

1. Wild goats/ibex are not very friendly, and would not actively follow someone. Also they would be able to jump high because goats live in mountainous regions. They can jump vertically about 4-5 feet and land on ledges about 3-4 inches across.

Trust me, I've seen them clear a fence that came up to my chest (and I'm 6')

2. Wild horses are rather shy animals, and often view humans are threats, but will come close if you don't pose a threat to them, mostly out of curiosity. Thats why I said for them to act like ocelots.3. Boars can be very aggressive, and very dangerous too. Most of the time they will flee, but during mating season males will openly challenge humans, and a female boar will attack when it has piglets. Either way, they would not stand around and let a human approach.

4. Please check out Episode 2, it touches on farming a bit

Please research animals a little, you'll be surprised how animals act and what they can do-In other news-

Finished the bee-keeping part, check it out!

I have a suggestion on the domesticating part.

At first, the wild animals/bees will be hard to control. But after some effort, you can domesticate them, making them friendly.

What if we could breed animals but keep them wild? Let's say we breed boars, but keep them wild. What benefits can we get?

I think wild animals should grow bigger than domesticated ones, and be stronger(unless you breed animals with strength in mind), and give more drops.

So you can keep them wild, get more drops, but have a hard time keeping them, or domesticate them, get less drops, but have a significantly easier time keeping, moving, and breeding them.

I think animals should grow more 'domesticated' when hand-fed. If domestication levels should carry from parent to child, and when domestication levels reach a high point, it should give a domesticated baby. Hand-feeding should raise domestication by a low amount, and there should be a limit to how much it goes up.

EX: say, 1 hand-feeding raises about 1 domestication point, 100 points are needed for a domesticated young from say, a goat, and you can only raise it by 40 per animals. It would take around 2~3 generations to fully domesticate said animal.

I also think animals should not breed when fed. Feeding animals should make them full. And animals that is full, healthy, and 'safe'(no animals of the same kind has been killed recently), then they breed on their own. Full animals should also grow faster, and if you keep an adult full for a long time, they get slightly bigger. Animals should not starve to death(I think not, because it could prove a hassle in servers) Animals should also eat plants. They should go first for crops, then tall grass, then leaves, then grass. Animals should drink as well, and troughs should be provided to feed animals without you hand-feeding them

I like that idea, but I think I'll stick to what I posted this time.

As always, I enjoy everyone's feedback!

-In other News-

Started episode 3! Check it out here

one thought that just struck me:

horseshoes

one thought that just struck me:

horseshoes

Yeah, those sound logical. Horses can be used for transportation as in vanilla, but pulling carts will probably be more useful. The wheels on the carts won't be able to jump up blocks, so you'll probably have to chisel down some slopes. Additionally, they'll most likely be slow across dirt, grass, sand etc, so making roads out of stone would be necessary if you're going to be travelling back and forth with your cart for long distances. Horses don't walk well on hard surfaces though, so horse shoes would help them. Could increase things like speed and pulling ability or something like that.

Yeah, those sound logical. Horses can be used for transportation as in vanilla, but pulling carts will probably be more useful. The wheels on the carts won't be able to jump up blocks, so you'll probably have to chisel down some slopes. Additionally, they'll most likely be slow across dirt, grass, sand etc, so making roads out of stone would be necessary if you're going to be travelling back and forth with your cart for long distances. Horses don't walk well on hard surfaces though, so horse shoes would help them. Could increase things like speed and pulling ability or something like that.

--

And Dunk, horses as personal transportation are still useful. For me it would be good to fight from horseback in TFC. And another thing, are horseshoes being made with any metal or only iron?

--

And Dunk, horses as personal transportation are still useful. For me it would be good to fight from horseback in TFC. And another thing, are horseshoes being made with any metal or only iron?

not really sure, depends on when players need them. I didn't want to imply that horses would be useless as a transportation service though,

--

Horse shoes were made of practically any metal that was on hand. Iron obviously was the norm due to low costs and high strength. But today's race horses wear titanium and aluminum alloy ones. Since they are lighter.

Just need some insight, Should I add Llamas?

They would really be nothing more than another farm animal, maybe a pack animal.. But you know, they llamas, which are.. awesome

-In other news-

Added horseback riding section, check it out!

-Silk Farming-

*Grow a Mulberry tree

Can we eat Mulberries?

Because I really like mulberries, they taste really good.

Also, most silk worms weren't grown on trees. There was a wooden box of sorts with little rooms for the worms to make cocoons in, with mulberry leaves scattered on the bottem

Possibly lances, and maybe a special breed of horse for war?Knights typically had 3-7 horses for various uses. 

A pack horse carried armor and other gear

a "riding" horse would be used for transportation to save the war horse for battleA (usually a pair or more) Coursers or chargers which were a large horse bred for strength and speed.

having a longer weapon like a lance would make hitting creepers and such from full gallop a heck of a lot easier, could be made similarly to a javelin but uses a lance shaft instead of a stick, the shaft could be craft by 3 diagonal sticks. And add a variant of lance made from a shaft and a a piece of softer material...say wool for simplicity sake. (could be anything really) that when used does absolute minimal damage. based on a ratio of player stats and horse strength/speed it would either dismount (if a threshold was reached) or the lance will break (returning the shaft but consuming the soft material used). 

Maybe to balance it out so its not done in standard pvp, add a jousting armor made by crafting armor with a jousting plate (matching metal plate crafted with leather for padding) this armor basically loses half its normal armor value but lets the wearer joust.

Possibly lances, and maybe a special breed of horse for war?Knights typically had 3-7 horses for various uses.A pack horse carried armor and other geara "riding" horse would be used for transportation to save the war horse for battleA (usually a pair or more) Coursers or chargers which were a large horse bred for strength and speed.having a longer weapon like a lance would make hitting creepers and such from full gallop a heck of a lot easier, could be made similarly to a javelin but uses a lance shaft instead of a stick, the shaft could be craft by 3 diagonal sticks. And add a variant of lance made from a shaft and a a piece of softer material...say wool for simplicity sake. (could be anything really) that when used does absolute minimal damage. based on a ratio of player stats and horse strength/speed it would either dismount (if a threshold was reached) or the lance will break (returning the shaft but consuming the soft material used).Maybe to balance it out so its not done in standard pvp, add a jousting armor made by crafting armor with a jousting plate (matching metal plate crafted with leather for padding) this armor basically loses half its normal armor value but lets the wearer joust.

Draft horses would be the war horse, along with the western saddle (I know that's not what they're for, but I think 3 types is enough lol)

As for Lances, I have about 3-4 more episodes of this series already starting to be planned out on my computer, one includes weapons and combat changes, so be patient :)

Can we eat Mulberries?

Because I really like mulberries, they taste really good.

Also, most silk worms weren't grown on trees. There was a wooden box of sorts with little rooms for the worms to make cocoons in, with mulberry leaves scattered on the botte

Yes mulberries would be edibleI know that, I just have 3 threads I've been trying to expand at an equal rate and it passed by me lol

Just need some insight, Should I add Llamas?

They would really be nothing more than another farm animal, maybe a pack animal.. But you know, they llamas, which are.. awesome

-In other news-

Added horseback riding section, check it out!

--

Moress, include the llamas, but camels as well. Would like to do merchant travels in the desert :P

--

Moress, include the llamas, but camels as well. Would like to do merchant travels in the desert :P

Omg I thought of camels sitting in class today! Ill add Llamas and Camels when I get done with storage today

Maybe a pack horse saddle? would prevent riding while it was on the horse but let the horse carry a small chest worth of gear?

Maybe a pack horse saddle? would prevent riding while it was on the horse but let the horse carry a small chest worth of gear?

Again, I thought of this while sitting in class, I have a ton in my notebook. I just need to build up the effort to actually type it all out XD I will tonight since I don't have school for 3 days (Finals)

Lol, great minds think alike i guess

Lol, great minds think alike i guess

-----

Of course ;)

-In other News-

Posted a bunch of new stuff here, also on the other episodes! Check it all out :D

Another thing while I'm thinking about the warhorses. Possibly adding variants to the armors? Like chain-mail that is lighter but weaker than say the plate mail that seams to be standard. Chain would take less material to make but take more forging to make the chains and such. And maybe a heavier armor made by welding and working more plates to the existing armors. These would slow/weigh down the horse but would make you neigh indestructible (within reason, and to the same effect that knights in full plate were like the Abrams tank of their day), it could also make you move slower when dismounted (maybe have it drain your thirst/hunger faster)

Another thing while I'm thinking about the warhorses. Possibly adding variants to the armors? Like chain-mail that is lighter but weaker than say the plate mail that seams to be standard. Chain would take less material to make but take more forging to make the chains and such. And maybe a heavier armor made by welding and working more plates to the existing armors. These would slow/weigh down the horse but would make you neigh indestructible (within reason, and to the same effect that knights in full plate were like the Abrams tank of their day), it could also make you move slower when dismounted (maybe have it drain your thirst/hunger faster)

---------------

That would be considered a combat/armor kind of thing. There are posts about it, including an official one on the discussion page. I may touch on it a little in a future episode, but not in any real detail.

I think elephants could be nice. they could spawn in warm plains/savanna/whatever biome TFC has that fits.

They would be slow, but able to carry a lot more than horses, and for a much longer time.

can trample/gore mobs, and can 'sprint' for short bursts of speed

I note that this thread does not have much on the way of hostile mobs.

Anyways, I think we should have animals that come out in day, and animals that come out at night.

Both day and night will have different animals, different threats, different things you have to do to keep safe.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here...

But animals like sheep, pigs, rabbits, etc, etc

should eat your crops when hungry, so you need to fence in you crops

And if this was the case, then winter should have significantly less animals spawning.