Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hyena Grin

Transportation Infrastructure

78 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: This thread is not about inventory space. I'd like to avoid discussing it. But full disclosure; I am in favor of limiting inventory space and I think transportation features of the game would benefit wildly from limitations. But I would prefer it if we could avoid the topic as it has been adequately discussed elsewhere.

Roads: A new kind of block similar to the soulsand found in vanilla, only reversed. The idea here is to have paths and roads added to the game as a way of speeding travel. While traveling on a dirt 'road' tile you move 10% faster than if you were walking on other terrains. A gravel road allows you to move 15% faster, and a cobblestone road might provide an addition bonus bringing it up to 20% faster.

Roads would be fashioned with the shovel using a new 'Road' option, cycled to with the M button. When used on a dirt, gravel, or cobblestone block, the block size cuts in half and takes on a new Road texture. This would of course use up some of the shovel's durability. Ideally the texture would be dynamic and connect to road textures around it, creating nice-looking multi-block-wide roads.

A third shovel option could (possibly) be a 'Ramp' option that allows you to dig a diagonal surface into a block, similar to stairs, that would allow the movement of wheeled vehicles.

Handcarts: A wooden vehicle that when mounted, rolls behind the player. The handcart slows the player down by 50% but can carry a chest's worth of inventory space. Handcarts move faster on roads, up to 80% of a character's NORMAL walking rate on dirt roads, 90% on gravel, and 100% on cobblestone. Handcarts can also not be moved up or down blocks without aid of a pre-dug 'Ramp' (see above). In combination with roads this would allow players to move large amounts of objects between two locations very efficiently, or to function as 'crafting carts' for builders to pull their stone/wood around with them to prevent making trips back to a chest.

Construction will be discussed later.

Wooden Minecarts: An early alternative to the iron minecart, this includes wooden recipes for both a minecart and a wooden cart path. The wooden minecart path does not allow the cart to roll in the same way that iron rails do. In other words, you must push the cart the entire distance; a hill will not provide the cart any kinetic energy, it will remain in place even on down-slopes. Wooden minecarts may or may not hold as much inventory as a metal minecart, but suffice to say, wooden minecarts cannot be placed on iron rails and vice versa.

Construction: A new object called a 'Wooden wheel' which is simply a wooden wagon wheel would be introduced. This object would be created using wooden planks and sticks. The wheel would be used for construction of handcarts and wooden minecarts. A metal variation could be used for metal minecarts.

The wooden tracks would be made up of wooden planks in two vertical lines with a line of sticks between them.

Ideally there would be a new process of 'treating' wood to make stronger and more malleable wooden planks (Treated Hickory Plank, for example) which would be required for certain construction, such as the outer portion of wagon wheels and the rails for tracks. This treating process could be handled in a variety of different ways. One thought would be a new barrel recipe in which amounts of planks could be treated at once. Or perhaps a whole new expansion on carpentry including a few new tools/benches.

More is better, but in the spirit of brevity, ordinary planks would do.

Open to other ideas also! Lemme know what you think.

To be honest, I like this idea but it'd need refinement. 

Roads; This is the idea I like the most. But instead I think that walking on non-road should be a penalty, where as low-quality roads bring you to normal speed, then high-quality roads bring you over your normal speed. Currently right now constructing roads is a waste of otherwise valuable resources. It'd also make roads even more useful, being required for even normal speed. 

Handcarts; I like the idea of handcarts, but maybe it should be added after any possible inventory alteration to save time changing it?

Construction; Maybe hardwood should be a requirement for these wooden constructions? I'm not a carpenter so I can't say if it'd be smarter to use that for construction. 

I said that in one of the thread and I will repeat it here : Why would I build this kind of infrastructure, when I only ever use it once, maybe twice? Also, you can't say "This thread is not about inventory space.", because to make these change worthwhile, you need to somehow limit the inventory space. Because, why would you use handcart, when you can carry everything in inventory? So discussing inventory space is core part of this suggestion. These kind of mechanics cannot exist in isolation, they are related to different parts of game and enhance the whole in the process.

To make these kind of mechanics, you need to ensure that :

• There is reason to move longish (but not too long) distances many times, with lots of materials. Only reason for this is some self-imposed goal, not as part of gameplay mechanics. And while MC is all about self-imposed goals, I think there should also be gameplay reason for changes.
  • You can't transport "usable" amount of materials by yourself, while not limiting it so exploration becomes problematic.

Right now, neither of those things exist in TFC. To mine, you only ever need to go once, maybe twice. Thats practically only reason to move long distances multiple times. Other times, you just go once to explore and bring back whatever you find.

I said that in one of the thread and I will repeat it here : Why would I build this kind of infrastructure, when I only ever use it once, maybe twice? Also, you can't say "This thread is not about inventory space.", because to make these change worthwhile, you need to somehow limit the inventory space. Because, why would you use handcart, when you can carry everything in inventory? So discussing inventory space is core part of this suggestion. These kind of mechanics cannot exist in isolation, they are related to different parts of game and enhance the whole in the process.

To make these kind of mechanics, you need to ensure that :

• There is reason to move longish (but not too long) distances many times, with lots of materials. Only reason for this is some self-imposed goal, not as part of gameplay mechanics. And while MC is all about self-imposed goals, I think there should also be gameplay reason for changes.
  • You can't transport "usable" amount of materials by yourself, while not limiting it so exploration becomes problematic.

Right now, neither of those things exist in TFC. To mine, you only ever need to go once, maybe twice. Thats practically only reason to move long distances multiple times. Other times, you just go once to explore and bring back whatever you find.

I agree in concept with almost everything you're saying. I prefaced the thread by saying these features would be more valuable if inventory were changed. I also said as much in the other thread. In fact I put a great deal of time and effort into saying so. However I do disagree with one critical point;

I'd build the heck out of everything I listed regardless of inventory changes. I pointedly made them consume readily available materials so that they would not be an enormous resource investment, and would be appealing even with little return on the investment. So yes, I can say 'this thread is not about inventory space' because I disagree with your rationale that they would serve no purpose.

People would use handcarts for much the same reason they bother to use chests and pots. If it were true that people can carry everything they need in their inventory, end of story, full-stop, I wouldn't be running around with multiple clay pots full of stuff and an inventory that is still too full to collect things without micromanaging. Any amount of additional inventory space is appealing, otherwise people wouldn't bother with the storage options we have now. I am confident that people would find a use for an easily craftable chest that they can move at will. Personally I'd fill it with building materials and use it for my building projects so my inventory isn't cluttered with a dozen stacks of whatever it is I'm building out of.

People would build roads because 1) they are aesthetically pleasing. Who doesn't already lay down paths and roads in some fashion or another? And 2) it would allow for faster travel, which is a net positive regardless of inventory situations. And three, because again it is something that is easily constructable. If implemented as described, you could start building roads and paths using resources you find lying around; sticks and stones. I can't fathom a reason people wouldn't want to build roads and paths to speed their travel using such a readily available tool. You may not see the kinds of long roads I'd like to see, connecting a settlement to mines and other places useful for collecting resources, but you would see them.

Wooden minecarts are a bit less practical with the given inventory system, and would be worthwhile only for the very largest ore deposits (or for those mines in which the desire is to build a mine which appears to be a mine - see; aesthetically pleasing), but are nonetheless an interesting option that would be necessary if inventory was later reduced.

Of course, if you want to suggest changes that hinge on inventory changes that's fine. I'm with you there and I support them one hundred percent. But I'm in favor of these specific additions with or without inventory alterations. If anything, the presence of transportation options in-game may make future inventory changes more palatable. I honestly don't know whether Bioxx or Dunk are of a mind to further limit inventory. I'd rather not draw a line in the sand and put these features (which I'd rather like to see in-game) up for ransom over a hotly contested desire for an inventory change that may never get implemented.

More importantly, I'm more interested in transportation features and options. I would happily join in on a thread regarding inventory space and I have no doubt we'd agree on pretty much everything. I'd just rather not turn this into another slugfest over something people are pretty divided over. In fact, hell, I'll start an inventory thread right now.

Edited by Hyena Grin

I'm saying exactly that the changes you suggest are useless in themselves. And would require inventory changes for people to practically use them.

Chests are stationary and pots don't cause 50% slowdown. So handcarts become useless without road. If you want aesthetically pleasing road, just use existing materials. You don't need specific block. As for faster travel, I already explained that building such infrastructure is useless. Unless you are going for roleplay. You don't need road to move those few pieces of ore in your inventory. I can do one trip to get enough copper to last rest of the game. Only reason it would make sense if I couldn't carry around that amount of copper. And if you are going for roleplay, you don't need game to enforce those rules for you. Just don't use piece of your inventory and only use it if you are on a "road".

Only transportation options that do make sense with current inventory system are those that give you bonus, but don't require any kind of infrastructure. Horses come into mind. 

I really don't get those that are obviously so MLG they don't use anything in the game unless they absolutely have to.

I'm saying exactly that the changes you suggest are useless in themselves. And would require inventory changes for people to practically use them.

Chests are stationary and pots don't cause 50% slowdown. So handcarts become useless without road. If you want aesthetically pleasing road, just use existing materials. You don't need specific block. As for faster travel, I already explained that building such infrastructure is useless. Unless you are going for roleplay. You don't need road to move those few pieces of ore in your inventory. I can do one trip to get enough copper to last rest of the game. Only reason it would make sense if I couldn't carry around that amount of copper. And if you are going for roleplay, you don't need game to enforce those rules for you. Just don't use piece of your inventory and only use it if you are on a "road".

Only transportation options that do make sense with current inventory system are those that give you bonus, but don't require any kind of infrastructure. Horses come into mind. 

The roads and handcarts are meant to go hand-in-hand. If you want to use handcarts you want roads. The two together make both worthwhile. And I don't think you did explain why roads that make you faster would be useless. At least not in a way that I agree with you. I would build them. I do a lot of walking and a lot of building even around my settlement. Moving faster and carrying a chest worth of goods around with me sounds like heaven.

Also the ability to convert dirt into dirt roads is not something we can do right now. The only way to build roads and paths is to take some material that doesn't grow grass and lay it. Dirt roads would be comparably very easy to build, as the dirt required is generally already available where you want to build the road. You would simply move along through the world building the road as you go. A path between your settlement and a mine would take not much longer than making the run in the first place. Things like gravel and cobblestone roads are more time-consuming to lay, and are a luxury.

Anyway, I disagree with your assessment. If you think they're useless, don't use them. Doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered for the game for people who would find them useful.

yo Hyena grimm !!

you do massive walls of text!!!

reeealy unnecessary, you could just say your Ideas with less text, and try to keep it in a one screen only, but you're a writer I'm ok whit it

notice that you already walks faster on brick blocks (at least at b76, last time i've built a road)

and, as I say in your inventory post, horses! Is the only transportation we need to improve gameplay at this point.

I don't feel walking around for inventory management as fun, but I like your handcarts, because of the mobile chest concept.

Well at least this suggestion appeared in a separate topic :) I'm in favor of all of this, in agreement that a proper discussion about numbers will be performed. 

In my opinion the speed of the player should be increased, not "brought back to normal". IRL, when walking on dirt you are a bit slowed down due to the terrain being minimally different - just like the little bumps when riding a bicycle on it. A road suggests that it's practically flat and the better the material, the more it will be resistant against deforming (we won't have RL cars and trucks that will bend the surface of even the hardest roads), meaning we will have higher comfort of travel.

The idea of roads could be expanded together with creating floors from various materials, tapestry, etc. But like Hiena said, let's not suggest too much at the beginning.

I see future enhancement of this as creating a whole big system for travelling and items transportation. Imagine a one horse wagon being able to carry one double chest of wood, ingots or other materials that cannot be put into chests and and are stackable. If not animals, mechanisms that could be used in any wagon or a vehicle that was made up. Who said we have to travel only on foot? Why not create a bicycle or any other vehicle types. Leonardo da Vinci used to create a lot of strange contraptions using even wooden mechanisms. Why not incorporate it in TFC?

Horse drawn wagons? Don't consume food or thirst bar, can carry waaay more, and provide a relaxing ride.

BTW, you should link your other inventory thread to this one so people see it, the two threads compliment each other and are quite superb.

(I'll just post the link myself, I guess): http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4678-inventory-space-oh-my-god-its-a-thread-about-inventory/

EDIT: oh, and maybe when you do the whole road mode thingy on the shovel it transforms the say, dirt, into packed earth, a new block, that doesn't landslide. And I think that walking on non-road blocks should provide a slight speed penalty, primitive roads bring your speed back to normal, and high quality roads give you a speed boost. This would also give a reason to pack the earth around your house in the clearing in the woods, considering you'd be constantly walking around the area.

but suffice to say, wooden minecarts cannot be placed on iron rails

Why? Seems like a bit of an arbitrary limit.

As for rails, I think the difference should be more in terms of durability than efficiency. True, metal rails will give you a smoother ride, but the advantage mostly comes from the rail's greater strength and this is the reason historically that mine railroads eventually upgraded to iron. Stronger rail allows your track to accomodate greater loads, over longer times, and thusly the wooden track's disadvantage should be its tendandy to break after a certain cumulative weight has passed over it, in addition to a small increase in friction.

Historically, the first iron rails were in fact wrought or cast iron strapping attached to wooden rails and I think that would be a nice middle ground to have in TFC between wooden and all-metal rails.

Why? Seems like a bit of an arbitrary limit.

As for rails, I think the difference should be more in terms of durability than efficiency. True, metal rails will give you a smoother ride, but the advantage mostly comes from the rail's greater strength and this is the reason historically that mine railroads eventually upgraded to iron. Stronger rail allows your track to accomodate greater loads, over longer times, and thusly the wooden track's disadvantage should be its tendandy to break after a certain cumulative weight has passed over it, in addition to a small increase in friction.

Historically, the first iron rails were in fact wrought or cast iron strapping attached to wooden rails and I think that would be a nice middle ground to have in TFC between wooden and all-metal rails.

It is largely arbitrary. But I suspect that if you could simply dump a metal minecart onto wooden rails (which presumably holds more) then there'd be not much reason to ever use metal rails. You could say that the metal minecart which carries so much more would simply crush the wooden rails. However there's no real reason to not allow wooden minecarts on metal rails. I don't know, there's certainly wiggle-room there.

I think the idea of track durability might be interesting if it can be gracefully implemented. Perhaps the tile slowly cracks over time showing its wear. Though I would probably say that iron rails should be absolutely permanent. 'Durability' might be a flaw of wooden rails. Though I do think that regardless of the other drawbacks, wooden carts should not be as fast and retain as much kinetic energy; wood against wood produces a great deal more friction than steel on steel.

Horse drawn wagons? Don't consume food or thirst bar, can carry waaay more, and provide a relaxing ride.

BTW, you should link your other inventory thread to this one so people see it, the two threads compliment each other and are quite superb.

(I'll just post the link myself, I guess): http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4678-inventory-space-oh-my-god-its-a-thread-about-inventory/

EDIT: oh, and maybe when you do the whole road mode thingy on the shovel it transforms the say, dirt, into packed earth, a new block, that doesn't landslide. And I think that walking on non-road blocks should provide a slight speed penalty, primitive roads bring your speed back to normal, and high quality roads give you a speed boost. This would also give a reason to pack the earth around your house in the clearing in the woods, considering you'd be constantly walking around the area.

Well at least this suggestion appeared in a separate topic  :) I'm in favor of all of this, in agreement that a proper discussion about numbers will be performed. 

In my opinion the speed of the player should be increased, not "brought back to normal". IRL, when walking on dirt you are a bit slowed down due to the terrain being minimally different - just like the little bumps when riding a bicycle on it. A road suggests that it's practically flat and the better the material, the more it will be resistant against deforming (we won't have RL cars and trucks that will bend the surface of even the hardest roads), meaning we will have higher comfort of travel.

The idea of roads could be expanded together with creating floors from various materials, tapestry, etc. But like Hiena said, let's not suggest too much at the beginning.

I see future enhancement of this as creating a whole big system for travelling and items transportation. Imagine a one horse wagon being able to carry one double chest of wood, ingots or other materials that cannot be put into chests and and are stackable. If not animals, mechanisms that could be used in any wagon or a vehicle that was made up. Who said we have to travel only on foot? Why not create a bicycle or any other vehicle types. Leonardo da Vinci used to create a lot of strange contraptions using even wooden mechanisms. Why not incorporate it in TFC?

Lowering speed offroad is certainly an option, but I think the end result is the same. It'd just be imposing slower walking speeds while exploring and I'm not sure too many people would be down with that. Ultimately that sort of thing is up to the devs. I don't personally feel like the default walking speed is too fast and needs to be slowed, but y'know. End result is going to be offroad: slowest, cheap road: fast, moderate road: faster, expensive road: fastest. Whatever the 'default' offroad speed is doesn't really matter. The increments of change will remain the same.

I also like the horse-drawn version acting as a double-chest. It'd be a little tricker to implement, probably, but if it can I'm definitely in favor, especially since it would no doubt be harder to build, requiring an actual horse and all. (It'd also be fun if a second player could ride in the back of the wagon)

I do have one question for people; what would you prefer roads looked like? They could be dug down an eighth, raised an eighth, or remain on-level with the ground but simply apply the new road texture.

I think I like the road being dug down by one eighth to show that the road is 'depressed' into the terrain by traffic. But this might be problematic for some builds. Raising it by an eighth would probably be easier to manage in terms of builds, but wouldn't look as nice in my opinion.

Fantastic suggestions Hyena. I don't understand the general hatred towards your ideas (from around the forum). As someone who builds roads for aesthetic purposes, giving them a purpose in game would be a fantastic bonus. I'm also a fan of setting up minecart rail lines for my larger mines.

Haha, I don't think there's much hatred. I've been getting tons of likes on various posts so I am thinking there's a couple of vocal opponents and a lot more support that goes unspoken, and that's fine. At worst it's an opportunity to better think through my ideas, and at its best people are pointing out legitimate flaws and ways things can be improved.Obviously not everyone is in favor of inventory changes, and so I kind wrote these threads up to try to find a middle ground that most people could get behind.

But yeah, I like the idea of bringing necessity to the world for things that people are building anyway for aesthetic reasons. Roads and paths are something I habitually build and I've even built some reeeeally long roads connecting different player areas (and some pretty epic bridges), so I'd love to feel like doing so is worthwhile. And maybe a little easier than it currently is. Digging up dirt and dumping gravel or cobblestone previously mined does take a pretty long time. Dirt roads between settlements and mines and lumberyards and the like *should* be easy and quick to make.

I don't think rail durability is a particularly good idea, honestly. Not because I don't like repairing tracks  or something.

In minecraft rail is a block, while applying durability makes it an entity. And I fear this would cause some lag (not much, but every little bit goes counts).

There's also a thing I do not fully understand what you would do with broken rails you replaced. I'm strongly against the idea that rail magically repair themselves when they are broken, but that leaves many item stacks laying about on the side of the roads. Though I don't know, it can be intended.

What I would be more "fine" with is minecart durability. We may or may not apply durability system to iron minecarts too.

Oh, and I'm against the idea of overall walking speed reduction with roads bringing it up to normal. There's nothing interesting about the idea of slowly moving player, far as I can tell.

I really like the idea of hand carts and such as an additional option (I am all for options). Horse drawn wagons would be even more awesome.

I already pave frequently used paths and it would be great to get a functional benefit from it.

As for the inventory limitations being needed to build roads, carts, etc I disagree, people like me build all sorts of stuff even if it is needed (or even functional) or not.

As for your inventory thread, its a good read with lots of good points. Its just that I personally wouldn't like inventory limitations. But hey, thats why things can be made optional.

Keldin

Hyena Grin, on 20 Sept 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

It is largely arbitrary. But I suspect that if you could simply dump a metal minecart onto wooden rails (which presumably holds more) then there'd be not much reason to ever use metal rails. You could say that the metal minecart which carries so much more would simply crush the wooden rails. However there's no real reason to not allow wooden minecarts on metal rails. I don't know, there's certainly wiggle-room there.

I think the idea of track durability might be interesting if it can be gracefully implemented. Perhaps the tile slowly cracks over time showing its wear. Though I would probably say that iron rails should be absolutely permanent. 'Durability' might be a flaw of wooden rails. Though I do think that regardless of the other drawbacks, wooden carts should not be as fast and retain as much kinetic energy; wood against wood produces a great deal more friction than steel on steel.

Lowering speed offroad is certainly an option, but I think the end result is the same. It'd just be imposing slower walking speeds while exploring and I'm not sure too many people would be down with that. Ultimately that sort of thing is up to the devs. I don't personally feel like the default walking speed is too fast and needs to be slowed, but y'know. End result is going to be offroad: slowest, cheap road: fast, moderate road: faster, expensive road: fastest. Whatever the 'default' offroad speed is doesn't really matter. The increments of change will remain the same.

I also like the horse-drawn version acting as a double-chest. It'd be a little tricker to implement, probably, but if it can I'm definitely in favor, especially since it would no doubt be harder to build, requiring an actual horse and all. (It'd also be fun if a second player could ride in the back of the wagon)

I do have one question for people; what would you prefer roads looked like? They could be dug down an eighth, raised an eighth, or remain on-level with the ground but simply apply the new road texture.

I think I like the road being dug down by one eighth to show that the road is 'depressed' into the terrain by traffic. But this might be problematic for some builds. Raising it by an eighth would probably be easier to manage in terms of builds, but wouldn't look as nice in my opinion.

I agree to the lowering 1/8th instead of a whole half block, as for the texture, I assume that it would vary depending on the material it was made with, grass would become dirt, dirt would become packed earth (each of these would have a slightly modified texture, to differentiate). As for annoyance when exploring off roads, thats where horses and other means of transportation (such as boats) come in. Just think of the great explorers (Not only maritime ones), such as Marco Polo, I doubt he went all the way on foot exploring, I'm sure he used horses, camels, or any other kind of animal transportation available. I still think there should be a penalty for walking off roads. It's not like the wilderness has nicely trimmed grass, flat and even landscapes, as such moving through it can be quite tough, even if its just wading through tall grass. Roads not only give speed, but also comfort, and IRL they make your shoes wear out less (Stepping on loose rocks will wear your shoe soles out and make your feet sore, and generally having to lift your legs higher to walk in uneven terrain is a lot more tiring). Horses or donkeys would make great travelling companions, especially if there is some sort of saddlebag implemented. One reason to build a road to your mining outpost would be so you could take wagons there. Carrying large cuantities of ore should only be possible with minecarts, burden animals, wagons, or ships. As such, you would be forced to build a road in to be able to transport the ore (ore logs,etc.) back to your base. If some sort of more sofisticated transport were implemented, In my opinion distances should somehow be made longer, as in large oceans or plains, etc.so that it doesn't seem like the network of bases/camps is all just one large player base. In multiplayer this would also encourage trade and merchants, considering they would bring precious resources from far away in caravans(maybe also robin hood style caravan robberies?). 

If you can make any sense of the above, feel free to criticize my disorderly jumble of loose thoughts.

After some thinking i must strictly say that i am against lowering the speed of a player, unless you do it for all mobs also. Imagine a spider chasing you (and currently without running it's hard to escape one) and with less speed than now. Unless even spiders, skeletons, etc. can be slowed, i don't see a valid reason raising the difficulty of playing (in view with hard to make weapons, being overwhelmed by zombies at night and hard attainable beds).

I would not change the height of the block either. The example of flatting the ground near your base is a great one, though if the height changes then placing anything on that block won't look realistic (even with 1/8th of a block height difference). This will allow the base to be a fast pacing place (even if only i.e. 10% bonus speed), look a lot cooler and won't allow the grass to grow over it so easily.

Just my thoughts :)

Imagine a spider chasing you (and currently without running it's hard to escape one) and with less speed than now.

Well, dropping your inventory to escape sounds like interesting thing from role-play side. And you are not supposed to get chased in the first place. It is same as trying to fight them before you get bronze.

What about boats. When you have to travel across the ocean for goods, you should have a boat that can handle a full chest load like the handcarts. If you have a server with multiple settlements, you could use this to go from port to port making trades etc.

Well, dropping your inventory to escape sounds like interesting thing from role-play side. And you are not supposed to get chased in the first place. It is same as trying to fight them before you get bronze.

You don't have a button that drops all contents of your inventory on the ground. You try to do that normally - and you dead.

And it's not like I want to be chased. Spiders don't ask if you want them to chase you, they just do it.

You don't have a button that drops all contents of your inventory on the ground. You try to do that normally - and you dead.

And it's not like I want to be chased. Spiders don't ask if you want them to chase you, they just do it.

================

That's why you stay inside at night ;)

================

That's why you stay inside at night ;)

"So, there's the problem with your product - it lets me do this without any warning, but then immediately breaks apart."

"Well, what can I say, good sir... just don't do this, we aint gonna fix shit."

Couple of comments.

First, in response to road vs offroad speeds, I want to stress again that reducing the movement speed 'offroad' doesn't actually change anything apart from slowing down the average player movement. It is still a steady range of changes from Slowest (offroad) to fastest (advanced roads). Reducing the slowest speed from what it is right now to something slower won't significantly affect gameplay except to make ordinary movement take longer. I'm not sure that's an improvement to gameplay. Whether you reduce speed offroad to 85% of what it is now, and 100% on dirt roads, then you're still moving 15% faster on roads as opposed to offroad. It's the same thing both ways. Just one arbitrarily slows down ordinary gameplay. Maybe people feel the game walk speed is too fast, but I don't personally feel like it is.

Second, in response to inventory related slowdown; wrong thread guys. ;) But I will say I am inclined to agree, it's simply not feasible to drop inventory in order to escape a monster because inventory has slowed you down. But yeah, this thread isn't about inventory.

Third, in response to the comment about roads being left flat (on par with the cube they are laid on), it was said that it would look strange if objects were placed on them. I am not sure what kind of objects you would place on a road. Did you have something in mind? Why build a road under a place you want an object? If you want to put an object down just don't have a road there.

What about boats. When you have to travel across the ocean for goods, you should have a boat that can handle a full chest load like the handcarts. If you have a server with multiple settlements, you could use this to go from port to port making trades etc.

Oh man, boats are so broken in practically all versions of Minecraft.  I would love to see a rework of boats in general.  Especially since you need metal tools in order to make a vanilla boat, it would be nice to have several tiers, like a cheap raft made out of sticks and twine, a boat made of planks that doesn't explode when a lily pad looks at it the wrong way, and as you mention boats that can carry goods leading the way to merchant ships.