Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Emris

[TFC 0.77.15] ChopALog 0.4.b77

15 posts in this topic

Before anyone thinks that this is my echo on the B77 plank change,

he can take a look at this => http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3755-log-gathering-processing/

As far as i know, this is where this idea first came to life, and i liked it so much that i had to make it :)

And if you are asking who had this idea, that would be our web admin spAnser.

This is kind of a realistic way to make planks mod.

You first prepare the chopping place with any kind of wood. (and it's a + because i like it that way :) )

Posted Image

Then you place a log in the middle

Posted Image

and click the top of the log to chop it in 2.

There is a random chance that you may not succeed, so don't click and hold, just click ones .. maybe twice .. or was it three times .. eventually the log will split in 2 ;)

Version 0.4.b77

Changes:

- Added a random chance to not succeed

- Changed the output from 3 to 2 planks .. makes more sense, unless you have a bad ass Y kind of axe head

Download => 1.6.2_ChopALog_0.4.b77.zip

And just because i mentioned the B77 plank change above, my echo would be this

Posted Image

..this way everything stays the same, but we have planks to play with from the start.

I like the idea of stumps. One of the most brilliant parts of Thaumcraft is that your challenges are largely the result of your advancement. Chopped trees leaving hard-to-remove stumps is both authentic and creates a problem the player needs to deal with. This would push the player into a nomadic life, or at least to range far for materials, or to work harder to maintain a certain spot. This meshes well with the real stone age.

I'd suggest further:

[*]that saplings shouldn't be able to be planted touching a log

[*]at least some types of trees have a chance to regrow from stumps (some types of trees will regrow from stumps almost certainly)

[*]stumps have a very low chance of rotting away (dissapearing)

[*]metal tools can remove stumps

[*]stone tools can't remove stumps unless the dirt/whatever blocks below and around are removed. (This would require some new limits on valid sapling placement to prevent easily grubbed stumps with no dirt below and around, except the block it was planted on.)

I don't understand your idea of chopping blocks.

If you are suggesting that the wood be "physically" placed on a chopping block in the world, and then hit with an axe, i see two problems:

[*]If stumps are half-blocks, then chopping blocks should be half-blocks. When you put a full block on a half-block it floats .5 meters above it.

[*]Mindless, repetitive clicks-- lots of them

This was suggested on the other post. Do you think you could implement some of these ideas, like stumps ect?

how about making the saw work the same as the axes in this regard but that it gives higher output?

eeeeeeeemris.... that idea was from back when planks were crafted with axes... it's since been established that that doesn't work.

I've made a plank with a log and an axe irl... Took a few tries, but it definitely works.

doesn't matter where you look hamcybo is everywhere on this forum xD nice mod btw ^^

Any way to make this configurable so you can set how many planks it will give you back? 

sure thing .. it's open source, no need to ask

have fun :)

You can certainly plank a log with an ax. Anybody ever try it with a stone ax? Head out to your backyard and knap out a few ax heads with whatever's lying around. Punch a tree for a while and plank the logs that fall out. Report back with results. Include pictures and medical bills.

Have you ever chopped down a tree with a stone ax? Knap out an ax and chop down a tree, report back with the results. 

Here is some information about the Ergersheimer Experiments, where modern reënactors try to chop down oak logs with stone-age tools.

http://www.slideshare.net/EXARC/the-ergersheimer-experiments-openarch-conference-albersdorf-2013

It took them six hours, taking turns to chop down the tree. a Lot of their equipment broke during the work.

Probably, experienced stone-age workers did it a bit faster, with multiple people and superior tools. But still it is a lot of work. 

Creating a plank out of the wood is certainly possible. A tree long plank takes roughly four hours to make. 

How can we translate that to Terrafirmacraft. I think the current way of chopping trees is very nice. 

If you would implement/allow axe plank making. It would be nice to have the following steps:

Place log horizontally on the floor, chop at (same time as tree), and in return get 1 plank. Making the saw the better option, but still if you want the early chest/bucket you can still get it.

I think the main reason people want to have the early planks is for the containers and buckets. Maybe we can create a bucket out of a log by hollowing it out with charcoal. Same for a box/chest? Or maybe by basketweaving sticks?

I really liked this mod back in the day... Too bad it hasn't been updated to a working version.