Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexDC

Landslides

28 posts in this topic

Maybe visual clues. Drips of water falling. Different tones of colour of the grass. Slightly different particles when starting to dig the block.

Anyway, you are right; it's a little overcomplicated, both for player and for the computer. Basically we would add extra data to every block in existence, and that may be a little too much. But it would be so close to reality... And once you know how much humidity is on an area, the dinamic creation of streams and rivers becomes a posibility, even with finite water.

Perhaps the biome could have an effect as the biomes are already distinctive enough for players to recognise or additional the idea of seasons has been kicked around quite a bit which I think would have more effect on the possibility of landslides in reality. Seasons could be determined by a sundial type device that shows the approximate month or perhaps a slight tint could be added to the sky when the sun is setting. eg keep red for summer, greenish for spring, blue for winter, brown for autumn.

Instead of land slide there could be avalanches maybe? In snow biomes?

I agree that the idea of dirt (and cobblestone) shifting and settling in the rain is a good one - and something like that mod would work perfect. As you said, Alex, dirt (and cobblestone) could use the same physics but perhaps with a little more forgiveness than the mod does for sand and gravel.

To those who complain about the risk of rockslides impacting your forge production, or from preventing you from building your sky house, that's silly. When you build your skyforge, you should shore up your foundations with support beams or stone blocks or anything, instead of cobblestone and dirt. Besides if you have even a generic wooden floor and one solid wall, you'll be safe due to minecraft physics.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0