Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sting_Auer

Patron Spirits

24 posts in this topic

1.) Patron Spirits:

Upon world generation, "Patron Spirits" would be generated and tied to regions. These regions should be defined by biome and waterlines (beaches, rivers, etc). These patron spirits would have different "likes" and "dislikes" that trend towards being related to each other, but can be completely random. Players have no way of knowing what a Patron Spirit's likes and dislikes are, or even if one exists in their region.

Patron Spirits would have "Favors" and "Blights" that they would inflict based on their opinion of the local players, and their general demeanor. These could range from bad weather, to disease, to increased mob spawning/strength/armor wearing rate/item pickup ability rate, among other things. These would all be randomly generated and tied to that specific Patron Spirit, but multiple spirits could have the same effects.

2.) Rituals and Sins:

"Rituals" could be carried out that would change the opinions of Patron Spirits. These rituals would be randomly generated and tied to the spirits, but would trend towards certain characteristics related to the environment and the demeanor of the specific Spirit. Rituals could be reciting certain words and phrases (which would be procedurally generated from logical combinations of words), they could be sacrifices of certain items (trending towards being related to the demeanor of the Spirit, or the environment), or they could be creating structures out of certain materials. Sacrificing items could be as simple as leaving them out to decay over time, throwing them in a fire, or leaving them in a chest sitting someplace. Leaving them within a certain distance of a type of block or land formation could also be an aspect of it.

On the flipside of Rituals, there are certain behaviors that are frowned upon by Patron Spirits, or downright hated by them. These are called Sins. maybe the Patron Spirit of a forest dislikes a specific kind of tree being chopped, but enjoys them being planted. Maybe a patron spirits has extreme disdain or Bismuth Bronze, but enjoys people wearing steel. It could be even something as ridiculous as a Spirit auto-aggroing Endermen on anyone who has built with Aspen planks within the last 24 hours.

Extreme examples like that last one would be exceedingly rare, of course. These are just examples of things that would be possible with a modular, procedurally, and randomly generated Patron Spirit system.

I don't know why but I sort of like this suggestion.

Precisely how common do you propose these patron spirits are?

Also, why do you think the player shouldn't know what the Patron Spirits want or hate?  I'm certainly not going to burn a hundred different items just to see if Gurzelbloe will give me a 10% increase run speed while in his biome, or just to realize that he doesn't even exist.  And all I'm going to be is frustrated if I'm doing a hundred different things and can't figure out which one is pissing off Yarbenk enough to spawn and aggro ten bears every time I leave my house.

Perhaps there was an item or procedure that allows you to momentarily commune with a spirit?  Something that might even use gemstones?  It doesn't even necessarily have to give you all the information about a spirit at once, just a facet of the Spirit's personality or offerings.

...  Unless the Spirits' whims only pertain to things in relation to their region, of course.  If the Spirits only "ask" me to build them a ziggurat made from the top layer's stone, or to leave the native trees alone (but don't care if I transplant and farm some exotic trees), then I'd be just fine.  I'd be upset if they decided that I couldn't mine out the gold deposit underneath my house, but would cope if all they did was make me a bit hungrier than normal.  Just maaaaaaaybe rein in the variety of structures that could please a Spirit.  A trinity of Ziggurat, Obelisk and Altar for possible structures should suffice.

Precisely how common do you propose these patron spirits are?

Also, why do you think the player shouldn't know what the Patron Spirits want or hate?  I'm certainly not going to burn a hundred different items just to see if Gurzelbloe will give me a 10% increase run speed while in his biome, or just to realize that he doesn't even exist.  And all I'm going to be is frustrated if I'm doing a hundred different things and can't figure out which one is pissing off Yarbenk enough to spawn and aggro ten bears every time I leave my house.

Perhaps there was an item or procedure that allows you to momentarily commune with a spirit?  Something that might even use gemstones?  It doesn't even necessarily have to give you all the information about a spirit at once, just a facet of the Spirit's personality or offerings.

...  Unless the Spirits' whims only pertain to things in relation to their region, of course.  If the Spirits only "ask" me to build them a ziggurat made from the top layer's stone, or to leave the native trees alone (but don't care if I transplant and farm some exotic trees), then I'd be just fine.  I'd be upset if they decided that I couldn't mine out the gold deposit underneath my house, but would cope if all they did was make me a bit hungrier than normal.  Just maaaaaaaybe rein in the variety of structures that could please a Spirit.  A trinity of Ziggurat, Obelisk and Altar for possible structures should suffice.

===========================

Spirits are only affected by things done in their region, and only cause things to people inside their region.

Not being able to find out exactly what happens is part of the feature; the idea is to simply go about your day normally, maybe with some experiments, and pay attention to the way nature responds to the things you do, and adjusting your behavior as such.

This is really stretching the bounds of mysticism, and Im not even sure if it counts as mysticism. Humans will go to great lengths to do something for their deities if it pleases them, and it makes their bodies capable of doing things that they would not otherwise be able to do. praying and religious acts don't affect the environment, but the individual itself. If anything, rituals and sins should buff/debuff the player. favors and blight is on the environment side. something like a sacrificial knife that would make meat fill more hunger after its been offered to the spirits because the player believes the meat to be 'blessed.' (the deities don't eat, they eat the essence, or whatever. Its used a lot in ceremonies in India) 

NO..... just..... NO

do this as an addon, but keep religion and superstition out of TFC

NO..... just..... NO

do this as an addon, but keep religion and superstition out of TFC

========================

It's not religion and superstition, patron spirits in this context would be actual, existing things looking over their homes.

Sorry, this isn't happening.

Apparently, Dunk has some unexplaned hatred of anything that isn't perfectly, exactly true to real life being in TFC.

so sorry, no dreams are allowed here, only tears.

, Dunk has some unexplaned hatred of anything that isn't perfectly, exactly true to real life being in TFC.

And thats the way that i believe it should follow too.

I think this is a great idea. Not gonna lie. I'd enjoy messing around with it. But there's no way it'll ever get added to TFC.

If you've got the chops you could always try to put it together as its own mod, even support TFC with it. It'd make a good combination with some other mods also, like Thaumcraft for example.

I would also like to see something like this, but also agree that this should either be an optional feature in case players don't want to deal with it, or developed as an add-on. Since TFC for me seems like a step backward to the Stone Age, I'm in favor of anything with some level of mysticism or tribal flavor.

Though, I also believe that a feature like this would be very complicated at least the element of determining which actions count as rituals or sins or which structures will be recognized as obelisks, shrines, temples, etc. to these spirits and deities. It seems feasible, yet extremely complex to execute.

I would also like to see something like this, but also agree that this should either be an optional feature in case players don't want to deal with it, or developed as an add-on.

Yes, definitely. I have the problem whenever I play Mo' Creatures. I have to turn off all the fictional mobs.

I really like this idea. People in real life believe in a religion for different reasons. Certain ancient civilizations assumed that there are greater beings changing all aspects of their life. Whereas others believed in only one overall deity. Ancient civilizations had reasons to believe in them, even if those reasons are total nonsense, but they did believe, and it made them feel better. Due to the fact that a game is all just codes and such, no one is going to believe in a higher being in the game except for a few (like those who believe in herobrine and such). But religion has left it's mark in everything from architecture to lifestyle to food choices. Heck there's even a potato chip that thousands of people around the world visit because it has what appears the be the face of Jesus Christ in it (It's true). Adding a form of religion, even if annoying and bothersome to code and super annoying to handle for the players (at first) it will make a change to everything, and in a huge way. 

Now considering that this is never going to be added to regular TFC I think it would be GREAT if someone took the time to make an addon for this. Personally I wouldn't want it added to normal TFC. It would cause far too much conflict. But an addon is wonderful! 

Has great Potential as a Addon

Get to work then....

I wish i could make my own addons, as i have a number of things i would like to add myself, although i really don't have the time to learn.

Get to work then....

I wish i could make my own addons, as i have a number of things i would like to add myself, although i really don't have the time to learn.

Yeah, I'm just now attempting to learn to code Java. So don't get your hopes up.

Sounds really cool, especially the part on taking th favor of the spirit making offers :P

This sounds like a fantastic idea, but there has to be some kind of indicator of a spirit's likes and dislikes. Perhaps some sort of monument surrounded by trees indicates a preference of tree or wood?

- Deleted -

Edited by Kittychanley
Only help if you can be helpful.

Unreal World roguelike, properly implemented and optional belief system with associated rituals may very well mesh with survival aspect. While the suggestion in this thread seems a bit lacking and more of a gimmick that, I do believe that 'I don't like it, don't ever think of adding it to TFC' is hardly a constructive criticism. Please improve.

Anyway, I am not happy with the obvious effects of faith, requirements and so on. Some mysticism may benefit the game, things like arbitrary 'gonna mess you up as you've done something you shouldn't in the area/don't have equipment the spirit likes' wouldn't. 

Edited by Kittychanley
Removed references to deleted, offensive, post.

It seems my comments on this post offended someone.

I want to apologize to whomever  I have offended.

I never intended as a personal insult and on the contrary just wanted to show how polemic issues like this can be.

Even though what is offensive or not is a subjective issue.

I understand now that before posting anything I have to consider if anybody could possible see my commentaries as offensive.

Sacrifice zombie flesh to appease murderdeathevil god

Use wood sparingly/eat no meat to appease naturebalancepeace god

Advance technologies and discover things to appease wisdomsmartleader god

I like it. Spirits are the perfect blend of subtle/supernatural and fit the tribal theme of the mod.

The original idea sounds painful. There should be no randomness to this feature, just ambiguity.

Sacrifice zombie flesh to appease murderdeathevil god

Use wood sparingly/eat no meat to appease naturebalancepeace god

Advance technologies and discover things to appease wisdomsmartleader god

I like it. Spirits are the perfect blend of subtle/supernatural and fit the tribal theme of the mod.

The original idea sounds painful. There should be no randomness to this feature, just ambiguity.

Randomness could be allowed, if there was a method of seeing through it.

Namely, how did tribal people 'commune' with their spirits? Near-death experiences and drugs.

Find a plant, consume it, and potentially gain a small vision of an item, but othewise no context. If you burn the item and something good happens, you know the sprit was please. If you feel worse, the spirit was angry.

An alternative/earlier method is to just draw steve to the precipice of death.

On the subject of actual validity towards this suggestion... I am split. It seems to touch into a deeper aspect of the supernatural than what the developers are willing to accept.

If anything, religious practices should give a few more minor benefits, like temporarily gaining skills faster, heightened awareness with the stone hoe (nutrient awareness) and the sort. Also, the benefit should be somewhat random, so we can't condense it down to a formula. The player sees a vision mid-ritual, in which the "god" or "spirit" is telling the player what he should do.

Realistically, is this true? Who knows.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0