Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Rickshaw_Watcher

More early game uses for straw

15 posts in this topic

[All of these proposed changes I thought of with Hardcore Mode in mind. That means hardest difficulty, no re-spawns, and the world is deleted on death]

Number one: Torches

In real life, one cannot simply take a branch and dip it into a fire in order for it to become a torch. At best you would get an bright ember. As such adding an item called "Unlit Torch," created by putting a stick and a couple pieces of straw together, could create a more realistic alternative. This could also tie in to torches that burn out, if or when such a system is put into place.

Number two: Beds

Beds should have their recipes changed so that they require three straw blocks between the Wool and Planks, but that may just simply be excessive.

Number three: Straw Bedding

Anyone that has watched movies with medieval aesthetics knows that a place to sleep isn't always fancy. However, such a thing is nowhere near as comfortable. So I propose the addition of "Straw Bedding" that would function somewhat like a bed but with many features removed. Straw Bedding would not change the spawn of a player, has a fifty-fifty chance of instead waking up at midnight instead of in the morning, and wears down with each use. My guess at the recipe would be four straw blocks in the crafting square.

Straw-Hide beds, made by right clicking on two thatch blocks with a hide, which sets spawn location, but doesn't skip the night are already confirmed to be added in build 78

Thank you Kittychanley for the information and The Shadow for suggestions and feedback.

I propose adding debuffs such as Hunger and Thirst, or simply waking up in the middle of the night, in order to balance out being able to sleep through the night at such an early stage of the game. Hardcore mode would make Straw-Hide Beds useless as they are currently described, adding these debuffs would make it more useful (but still not without drawbacks) to normal players and viable for Hardcore players.

Number four: Fire Tending

When one makes a fire, the current thing to do is throw three stick on the ground and then right click with a fire starter. I propose replacing those sticks with straw, then requiring the player tend the fire with more straw and sticks before any logs can be placed on top.

i agrre with all, but with number 4 i say: you should throw 3 sticks and 3 straws, if you want more probabillity you cant trow paper but you trow more straw

If it doesn't change my spawn, it's of very little use to me.  With the sheer distance we have to travel in the early game, there *needs* to be a way to change spawn.  Sleeping through the night is gravy.

Now, I suppose there's no reason that spawn-changing has to be tied to a bed.  Perhaps you craft a 'Home Sweet Home' mat or whatever.

But my preference would be a straw bed that changes spawn, but debuffs you in some way when you sleep.  Maybe you lose hunger and thirst from tossing and turning all night.

Straw-Hide beds, made by right clicking on two thatch blocks with a hide, which sets spawn location, but doesn't skip the night are already confirmed to be added in build 78.

Straw-Hide beds, made by right clicking on two thatch blocks with a hide, which sets spawn location, but doesn't skip the night are already confirmed to be added in build 78.

-------------------------------------------

YAY!! multiblocks!!!!!!!

If it doesn't change my spawn, it's of very little use to me.  With the sheer distance we have to travel in the early game, there *needs* to be a way to change spawn.  Sleeping through the night is gravy.

Now, I suppose there's no reason that spawn-changing has to be tied to a bed.  Perhaps you craft a 'Home Sweet Home' mat or whatever.

But my preference would be a straw bed that changes spawn, but debuffs you in some way when you sleep.  Maybe you lose hunger and thirst from tossing and turning all night.

==================================

I usually play in Hardcore mode to get really into the game so spawn changing wouldn't be of any use for me or other players who do the same. However, not all people play Hardcore so simply changing the spawn may be a good enough function.

However the use of debuffs or losing hunger and sleep would make a good incentive to upgrade to a better bed as soon a possible, but still allowing sleeping through the night would at least make it a viable option for early game players.

Perfect, I'm going to use this information in the original post to refine the idea. Thanks for the info.

So you can sleep in straw beds but it won't skip the the night?  What's the point of that?  Is it supposed to represent lying in bed awake all night?

Or maybe you just misspoke, perhaps the more likely option, because one of the biggest problems I have with the early game in TFC is spending all night awake in my thatch hut waiting for the sun to come up.

So you can sleep in straw beds but it won't skip the the night?  What's the point of that?  Is it supposed to represent lying in bed awake all night?

Or maybe you just misspoke, perhaps the more likely option, because one of the biggest problems I have with the early game in TFC is spending all night awake in my thatch hut waiting for the sun to come up.

The point of the thatch bed is to set your spawn point. You'll have to wait until you have a true bed to get your "Get away from Baddies Free" card.

So I have to spend the night passing the time listening to monsters just outside my straw hut? Because there's nothing else to do until morning. (If I want to live, at least.)

I think the solution is to bring back the old vanilla bed mechanic: if you sleep in a place where monsters may access or spawn, you can get woken up by a monster in the middle of the night. That way, you skip right to the chase.

So I have to spend the night passing the time listening to monsters just outside my straw hut? Because there's nothing else to do until morning. (If I want to live, at least.)

I think the solution is to bring back the old vanilla bed mechanic: if you sleep in a place where monsters may access or spawn, you can get woken up by a monster in the middle of the night. That way, you skip right to the chase.

doesnt achieve the result, being that you dont get to skip the duration of night. The only point of it is to set your spawn. If you have a secure house you'll still be safe, but its up to you whether to hide or go out and do something.

all i want is to be able to make slabs and stair with thatch so i can finally be content with my roofs!

Do none of you do other things in your house at night while you wait?

Granted the first week tends to be boring as hell, but after that Im busy making tools or cooking stuff or once I have a mine I can spend my nights in it.

I also tend to light my areas up to the point where I can be outside harvesting crops or trees etc

Hello,

The point of the thatch bed is to set your spawn point. You'll have to wait until you have a true bed to get your "Get away from Baddies Free" card.

You mentioned in another thread (I think mine?) that "mystical creatures" are planned to be moved to dungeons or such, I thought?  Leaving normal fauna up top. The believability meter would go down considerably if have a perfectly good starter-straw bed that you can't sleep in, then wonderously when you get planks and wool you are magically able to sleep for the frist time since you woke up in the middle of nowhere, stranded.

Hell, you should be able to sleep on the floor if you really had to. . .

all i want is to be able to make slabs and stair with thatch so i can finally be content with my roofs!

I agree! Not being able to make ANY sort of slabs or "stairs" in beginning in annoying! I need decent rooves! At least let us make them outta straw! All it is is bunching the straw up in a certain shape. . . >.>;

Do none of you do other things in your house at night while you wait?

Granted the first week tends to be boring as hell, but after that Im busy making tools or cooking stuff or once I have a mine I can spend my nights in it.

I also tend to light my areas up to the point where I can be outside harvesting crops or trees etc

Contrary to popular belief, Steve needs to sleep some time too. I.E a sleep meter (At least for SSP).

As a side note: I think beds (if they progressed from the day 1 bed, to the luxury goose down bed) should give you buffs the better the bed, not debuffs, unless you downgrade. Can't miss what you never had; I imagine a caveman slept on the ground or a bed to leaves just fine. If you would have let that caveman sleep on a serta memory foam bed for a year though, it might have issues sleeping on the ground again after that.

Cheers,

Michael

I dont disagree with there should be a sleep bar or something to force resting, but while it doesn't exist so does not constitue one of the environmental parameters I work within. I dont break belivability or character perspective by not sleeping because it is not not required.  Early on when there is so much to do a little waiting is inevitable but Im not going to stand around bewailing the fact I dont have a bed or have nothing to do (thereby wasting a lot of time).

As Ive mentioned elsewhere, there are a number of mechanics that heavily influence ones decision making process in how you play the game. Knowing these going into a fresh world influences what priority weightings are given to different tasks.

If I don't have access to a bed, I prioritise lighting the area up and building secure work areas so I can keep 'working' at night.

On Earth3, I had a 3k+ block, nearly straight, mostly paved and all staired road linking all my installations and outposts. It was lit up like a xmas tree with torches every couple blocks so that at night I could run along between facilities without being eaten because I got very lucky  by having a major multi node copper  vein under my first installation site but for a very very long time I had no bed because I had no sheep.  (Dying was bad because well it was dying, but also because spawn was a couple hundren blocks away on a tiny peninsula where creepers and undead liked to spawn at night.

Now on Earth4, one of my initial foraging sweeps has found a pair of sheep and I just got a sheaf of wheat, so I will have wool, but still the only metals in the area are tin and zinc and these metals apparently cannot be used to make tools so no saw to make a bed and no chisel to make stairs along roads means lot of jumping in transit at night.

Hello.  I have an idea for straw beds.  What if they could still work like regular beds except that when you wake up in the morning, you have either high probability or a 100% chance of having a drowsiness affect applied to the player character.  It would automatically go away after 5 minutes or so.  It would still let you skip the night and set spawn, but delays you starting out the next day.