Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
xTOXICMUFFINx

Rotting wood and weathering?

18 posts in this topic

Hi Bioxx if you read this I hope you would add this into TFC i was wondering if its possible to do a weathering affect on stone and brick blocks, What will happen over time is that slowly over over MC time is that parts of the rock will erode away do to rain and wind and that you would have to replace that block. I was also thinking on a mossy affect on rocks and wood if you are in a wet area or there is water near by and it rains constantly slowly moss can start to grow on the rocks and wood (kind of like vines in vanilla) and you would have to take a knife or some sort of tool to clear away the moss. and then rotting wood over time wood should start to breakdown and rot i do not know how I would explain it but it would be interesting and to add storms and such have trees fall down do to high winds would be cool these are just a few ideas I have more will come

Nice idea, but it would cause a lot of lag. Imagine every single air-touching wood and stone block updating every single tick.

Nice idea, but it would cause a lot of lag. Imagine every single air-touching wood and stone block updating every single tick.

----

Which is why you wouldn't update every single tick.

You could just do a check on that whenever a chunk is loaded, or something.

Nice idea, but it would cause a lot of lag. Imagine every single air-touching wood and stone block updating every single tick.the air is not 

What I meant was that slowly over time one (or more) micro block is removed its a slow process not a fast one and i did not mean a literal air block brushing up against it

What I meant was that slowly over time one (or more) micro block is removed its a slow process not a fast one and i did not mean a literal air block brushing up against it

I think what he meant is that every microblock of wood needs to be checked in an update period for decay, and that makes for a lot of checks even for small structures.

I am not sure that this is a sensible thing to implement for the time frames the game is played for.

Even an untreated wooden structure can last years, treated/maintained structures can last decades. Most kinds of stone will last a half a century or more before it begins to show visible erosion. And that's just visible erosion, nevermind the an eighth of the whole block. Shaving that off would take a considerable period of time.

I'm not sure I see the point in a relatively complex system that most people will never see occurring, or would happen far too rapidly to make sense.

Moss growing on wood and stone would be an interesting visual thing, though.

Moss growing would be similar to vines on Kapok trees. This could be an interesting mechanism where some trees, stone and rocks can be covered in moss. Mining such stone would give moss and rocks, so it could be an additional resource. This could also explain how vines on Kapok trees occur, as well as maybe allow them to drop seeds and grow.

weathering on rocks and trees probobly not since as people said above it takes forever for that to even start to show as well as the lag.

moss on rocks though? that sounds like a great idea. perhaps implement it more like vines right now? except perhaps have 5 textures of the moss so its not just one sprite being shown over and over.

If it had only once a week check, it wouldn't be that bad.

Yeah, I don't know about the rock erosion, but I like the idea of wood eroding.  Game servers can go for plenty of decades, just think how dynamic the world would be if an old mine supported by rotting wood supports started to collapse.  Or houses, for that matter.  I really like the idea.  Wood rot could be less resource intensive by doing global timer checks instead of individual block timer checks.  So what I'm saying is, instead of having a unique timer check a single wood block every so often for EVERY single wood block, maybe have a timer running at all times regardless if there is any wood around you.  Once its time is reached, pick a random wood block in the loaded area, then check its age, then check a random chance for decay.  If there are no wood blocks in the area, then the timer is at rest until new chunks are loaded.  Also, I don't know how age of wood blocks can be calculated, so maybe this whole idea is kaput.

And as for moss and lichens and stuff, that also sounds cool.  Maybe if you gather enough moss and press or crush it, you can get some water to drink.  You'd have to be in an odd situation to be forced to do that, though...

time scale aside (micro blocks are a huge memory / data hog, so we don't really want to be making them all over the place) it most likely would cause lag to have all those blocks ticking (even infrequently)

It would certainly be nice to see certain things slowly erode, or grow moss. Although it would be very bad on the system, it would help to remove some of the annoying unused structures on servers. For example, one of the TFC servers that I play on has a strict no-grief policy, one day someone built a little thatch structure that they'll probably never use or see again. This thatch structure happens to be right in front of my home. So I will always have to deal with that little thatch structure sitting there due to the fact that removing it is griefing. So to see it (albeit slowly) disappear over time would be wonderful. There could also be other examples such as someone making an unused cobble wall, and it eventually looking like an ancient mossy ruin instead of a eye-dissolving box. Something like this would have to happen VERY slowly for it to be fair and not systemically challenging. Maybe not have microblocks and just have a really slow deterioration period. Perhaps once every year there would be a check on one random piece of exposed cobblestone nearby, this chosen cobblestone would then have a 1/500 chance of simply disappearing BUT the chance is increased for each exposed side of the cobblestone. Maybe one exposed side would make the chance 1/475 chance, and two exposed sides would be a 1/425 chance, three being a 1/350 chance, four being 1/250, five being 1/125 chance. (I left out 6 because it's obviously impossible due to cobblestone's gravity.) The same could work for logs, thatch, and other rotting, dissolving, and deteriorating objects, except with less of a wait time or more of a chance, perhaps every half year for a log and every month for thatch. Not only would this slowly solve server overpopulation but it would also solve the problem of people making a costless thatch cube as their permanent home. Thank you for your time.

It would certainly be nice to see certain things slowly erode, or grow moss. Although it would be very bad on the system, it would help to remove some of the annoying unused structures on servers. For example, one of the TFC servers that I play on has a strict no-grief policy, one day someone built a little thatch structure that they'll probably never use or see again. This thatch structure happens to be right in front of my home. So I will always have to deal with that little thatch structure sitting there due to the fact that removing it is griefing. So to see it (albeit slowly) disappear over time would be wonderful. There could also be other examples such as someone making an unused cobble wall, and it eventually looking like an ancient mossy ruin instead of a eye-dissolving box. Something like this would have to happen VERY slowly for it to be fair and not systemically challenging. Maybe not have microblocks and just have a really slow deterioration period. Perhaps once every year there would be a check on one random piece of exposed cobblestone nearby, this chosen cobblestone would then have a 1/500 chance of simply disappearing BUT the chance is increased for each exposed side of the cobblestone. Maybe one exposed side would make the chance 1/475 chance, and two exposed sides would be a 1/425 chance, three being a 1/350 chance, four being 1/250, five being 1/125 chance. (I left out 6 because it's obviously impossible due to cobblestone's gravity.) The same could work for logs, thatch, and other rotting, dissolving, and deteriorating objects, except with less of a wait time or more of a chance, perhaps every half year for a log and every month for thatch. Not only would this slowly solve server overpopulation but it would also solve the problem of people making a costless thatch cube as their permanent home. Thank you for your time.

Material decay actually seems kinda fun... if it wasn't handled by tile entities, it might be more feasible, although I don't know for sure.

It could work on the same principal as grass growing. If a certain kind of block is exposed to certain conditions it would, similarly to the way dirt-blocks convert to grass blocks, change into a corresponding weathered block. Say if a block of straw was left exposed to the open sky and it rained, each block would stand a chance to convert to an aged looking thatch block (darker with a hint of mossy green.) From there the effect would spread in the a fore mentioned dirt to grass style. The same principal could be applied to exposed rock, wood planks (aged wood floors would be awesome,) maybe even river and pond/seabeds.

That actually seams quite doable, by placing the weathered version in a damage level it can cut down on the amount of item ids needed. But stone should really only weather visibly if near water, following the same range as irrigating a dry grass.

Stone could still gather moss, which isn't really a form of erosion. In real life even rocks exposed in desserts tend to gather lichens. Maybe it would be possible to gather some moss and use it as medicine, food, poisons*, or dye? The same effect that is used to put ore into various rock types could be re-purposed to show the presence of mosses.

*What if you could squeeze the poison out of certain mosses and use them to add a poisoning effect to your weapons, similar to enchantments**?

**What if the enchantment system could be converted into a weapon and tool modifying system. Whetstone + sword = sword with sharpness.

nice suggestion but it's already been suggested and it would cause allot of lag