Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HunterKain

Falconry - Let birds hunt for you!

9 posts in this topic

New Mobs

Ive seen mob suggestion threads elsewhere, but This is just a quick list of mobs that need to be added for my falconry suggestion. More pictures coming soon!
*Prey animals:
Pheasants: drop raw pheasant, males drop plumes
Rabbits: drop fur
Fish: drop fish (as a material mob: trout in freshwater, cod in saltwater)
*Raptors (I want to keep it simple, so not too many types)
Falcon
Eagle
Osprey

Birds of prey can be seen flying around in different biomes, Eagles in mountain, jungle, and forest biomes, Ospreys near Ocean and river biomes, and falcons in all other biomes except for desert and tundra biomes. On occasion, and always at sunset, they will return to a tall, leafless tree with a nest at the top. During late spring, there will be two to three chicks in the nest. The player must then climb to the top and right-click a chick to pick it up. Keep in mind that if there is an adult bird present, it will attack the player. Falcons and Ospreys deal slashing damage, eagles deal puncture damage

*Falcons are the smallest and weakest birds, dealing 1.5 hearts of damage. A in real life, both parents hunt, so there is very little chance that a bird will be present at the nest. Tamed falcons can hunt only small game, such as pheasants, rabbits, and chickens.

*Ospreys are bigger than falcons, dealing 3 hearts of damage when protecting their chicks. There is a higher chance that an adult will be at the nest. Ospreys nest in trees that have water on all sides. They are specialized fish eaters, and will hunt fish only. Tamed Ospreys return fish to their owners.

*Eagles are the biggest of the bird of prey. There is a high chance that an adult will be at the nest. Each hit does 5 hearts of damage to the player and has a 10% chance of knocking the player back. Tamed eagles can hunt small game and fish in addition to deer. Having an eagle perched on their hand makes a player move slower due to the bird's size.

Falconry gear

Falconry needs a lot of leather accessories to prevent harm from the bird. The first thing you need is a Falconer's Harness. To make one, you need a leather tunic, leather glove, and leather straps.

Leather glove:

Leather Straps (makes 2)

Place a leather tunic, a leather glove, and one strap in the crafting grid and you get a Falconer's harness, which you can wear in the chest armor slot. Without the harness, the raptor will not respond to the player.

Falcon accessories:

Leather Patch (makes 4. Paper is a proxy for leather patches): Its a 3X3 square

Hood: place one feather above a leather patch in the crafting grid. To transport the bird from one place to another by hand, and to take it inside, a hood must be equipped to the bird by right clicking while it is perched. To remove hood, right click while holding a hooded bird. A bird does not need a hood once it is inside, but only while transitioning. Trying to do it without a hood will cause the bird to fly outside. The bird must wear the hood for 2 weeks before the training process to begin. It helps them get used to humans nearby

Padding (firework star is used as a proxy)

Perch: Right click with bird on arm to place bird on perch.

Lure: leather patch in the center, one fur on top, four feathers in the corners and one string at the bottom. (leather is a proxy for fur)

Meat scraps: any raw meat and a knife in the crafting grid.

Raptor Whistle: the interface is opened by placing a knife above a plank in the crafting grid. Yes it needs metalworking. Medieval people had steel. Its like knapping, but with wood.

Training a Bird of Prey

1. Retrieve raptor chick

2. Place chick on a thatch block (right-click). The chick will keen when hungry. Right click with meat scraps in your hands to feed. If you don't feed it within a day, it will die, so you have to take care of your bird.

3. Wait 7 minecraft days. The chick will then be ready to fledge

4. Pick up chick and place on perch by right clicking (you must be wearing a Falconer's harness)

5. Hold meat scraps in your hand and stay one block away from the perch until the bird hops to your hand.

6. Repeat step 5 with increasing distance until it succeeds at 10 blocks. (At 4 + blocks, the bird will need to fly)

7. The bird can now fly. Repeat step 5 at 10 blocks, but blow the raptor whistle before holding out meat scraps.

8. After a while, blowing the whistle will make the bird return to your hand.

Note: the chance of the bird responding to the whistle at first is 0%. With each successive try, the chance is raised by 1.25% until the bird responds

Hunting Training

1. Have bird sit on perch outside.

2. Right click with a lure in your hand to spin it around. The bird will fly to it and knock it down.

3. Blow the raptor whistle until the bird returns to you. (Chance of it responding is the same as step 8 of bird taming) walking close to the lure will make you pick it up.

4. Bird now hunts for you

Hunting with a falcon/eagle

1. Run through tall grass to flush out pheasants, chickens, and/or rabbits with the bird in hand.

2. When quarry is flushed, right click with an empty hand and the bird will fly out and pursue prey. Keep it in your sights

3. When the falcon strikes, it will perch on the corpse. It will start feeding off the corpse twenty seconds after the strike

4. If the bird eats the corpse, you will need to retrain it. (In real life, if a trained hunting bird is allowed to eat its kills, Butcher the corpse as soon as possible with a knife.

5. Falcon will keen, so feed it a meat scrap. If you don't feed it within 30 seconds, it attacks.

Hunting with an Osprey

1. With the bird in hand, face an ocean or a river.

2. Right click with an empty hand to make the bird fly out over water

3. The bird will circle for 1-5 seconds, then plunge and fly up holding a fish. It will circle above the water until the raptor whistle is blown

4. Blow raptor whistle and Osprey will circle over you and drop fish, then return to water to fish. Blow raptor whistle again (before it catches another fish) and it will return to your hand

That's falconry. For more on hunting, I made a post a few weeks back about a hunting overhaul. http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/4700-hunting-overhaul/

One word: AWESOME

Love the models by the way, did you make them? You should try to make the models for the birds of prey.

I'm okay with falcons hunting Chickens and Pheasant. I also would think it would be cool if you could send messages to other players by Falcons.

One word: AWESOME

Love the models by the way, did you make them? You should try to make the models for the birds of prey.

I use a program called Techne. I was getting to the birds of prey but its so much work. I recently missed a chunk of school and I need to catch up on my college-level math. Don't worry. They'll be out eventually. If I'm not a lazy-ass

Weaponized raven hordes pls

Weapons weren't the purpose of this suggestion. Its based on the art of Falconry, when people trained birds to hunt for them. Its meant to mob vs. mob, not mob vs. player. And While Ravens are intelligent, they're a little too intelligent to tame. domesticated animals actually have smaller brains than their wild counterparts

I'm okay with falcons hunting Chickens and Pheasant. I also would think it would be cool if you could send messages to other players by Falcons.

I wanted to make fishing a bit more fun, and it is technically possible to train Ospreys. And the fish model makes it possible to hunt fishes with javelins and fishing arrows.

Weapons weren't the purpose of this suggestion. Its based on the art of Falconry, when people trained birds to hunt for them. Its meant to mob vs. mob, not mob vs. player. And While Ravens are intelligent, they're a little too intelligent to tame. domesticated animals actually have smaller brains than their wild counterparts

============================

So what you're saying is that we need to weaponize retarded birds...

In all seriousness though, it's completely possible to have birds of prey attack people on command. Animals can be trained to do just about anything that they are physically capable of.

EDIT: Golden Eagles are used to hunt wolves. I have no doubts that they, along with other birds of prey, could be trained to attack a person on command.

i love this suggestion, i love faconry (irl too)

please add this!!!

============================

So what you're saying is that we need to weaponize retarded birds...

In all seriousness though, it's completely possible to have birds of prey attack people on command. Animals can be trained to do just about anything that they are physically capable of.

EDIT: Golden Eagles are used to hunt wolves. I have no doubts that they, along with other birds of prey, could be trained to attack a person on command.

So the Ultimate weapon would be a swarm of Golden Eagles

My friend would be so happy.

Also the players health is around 2000 so 5 damage is nothing

So the Ultimate weapon would be a swarm of Golden Eagles

My friend would be so happy.

Also the players health is around 2000 so 5 damage is nothing

I did it with vanilla health in mind. We'd just have to scale up the damage is all. so eagles would do 500 damage.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0